Glitch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Squilly, Dec 9, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

Squilly

I have an iPhone 5 and, at random, when I turn it on (I always have it on maximum brightness), its at its dimmest setting. I have a pass code lock and know I don't change it beforehand. Does anyone else have this problem? When I turn it off then back on (not shut down) it goes back to max brightness. Happened twice so far. o_O

2. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

never seen that. maybe its trying to save you some battery life. full brightness is very bright, you really need it that high?

3. macrumors 65816

ya it happened to me few times as well, but I just ignored it....its definitely not just you tho as there was a thread somewhere else I saw (maybe here on the forum) but i cant recall exact place about others having the same issue*

I wouldnt call it an issue as it resolves quickly but I'm sure its just software related.

4. macrumors 6502

unknownbeing

5. macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Yeah it's happened to me on my 4S. I think it might be due to the ambient light sensor being blocked for a quick second, which makes the iPhone think that is pitch black in the area and put the brightness all the way down.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I did. I just turned it off.

7. macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Wow. I can't stand my iPhones screen at max brightness.

8. macrumors 6502

unknownbeing

Does it still do it when it's off?

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Haven't noticed

10. macrumors 65816

kirky29

I'm the same as you, always have my iPhone at max brightness (can't use it any lower!) and I've noticed when I unlock it but then accidentally lock it again....then quickly press the lock button for the third time it does the same....the brightness goes right down. Usually just by locking and unlocking it again it sorts it out!

11. macrumors 68000

shady825

My iPad has done this but the exact opposite.
    When I unlock the screen everything will be at minimal brightness, like even less than I can physically turn the screen down to. Barely visible.
    It will stay like that until I lock it and unlock it again. I don't know what the heck it is but I've seen it happen 3 or 4 times now. Seems to be at random. :confused:

EDIT: My bad I misread your post. Our devices are doing the same thing. Must be an iOS 6 bug if its happening across devices..

I don't think this is the case because my iPad will go way below what it actually will let me turn the brightness to.

12. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

i usually reboot my iphone every few days. Once, it was on max brightness when it booted. I usually keep it at about 80%.

13. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've had this happen a couple times, also at 100% brightness, auto is set to off. As someone asked, no, it's not related to battery. It's weird but it also hasn't happened for a while, I'm on 6.0.