Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
This is the first iMac design I do not like, maybe because of the deception during the keynote about how thin it is. The back looks like a baby bump.

What deception during the keynote? Anyone that didn't clearly see the "baby bump" during the keynote has other significant problems to be far more concerned about.

----------

Mine still says processing and I ordered mine the minute pre-orders became available.

Did you order 'custom' or off-the-shelf?

nephlin

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
damn wish I was in the market for a new iMac!

You and me both! With the holiday season here I've already spent way too much money getting my family iPad Mini's etc. Not to mention Apple always finds away to make a product better with some new technology that eats your pockets.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
YES!

and please make sure they are exactly the same size as the iMacs themselves. Having two displays next to each other of different sizes / designs looks incredibly tacky in a pro video / audio / graphic studio.

best,
SvK

That would be great. They could put all the bulkey electronics in the chin and make the entire display as thin as the iMac's edges. Yes!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
looks exactly like my 2011 iMac from the front,

I can see why apple was so desperate to reduce the glare on the screen, everyone using these must be sat at a 60+ degree angle to the screen so they can view that "slim"(pointless) form factor as well.

You can see the slim shape from the front. No need to stand to the side or behind (which are common angles to see—but not use—a computer anyway).

To see the slim shape from the front, simply stand up :) The top shows it just as well as the sides.

Doesn’t matter to everyone, but a desktop computer is a big piece o’ houseware, like a TV or a stool or a lamp or a set of dishes. The way it looks matters—from all angles, and even when not in use.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
How can you tell from the photo it is a 2012?

Looks like a 2011 to me.

Who cares? I don't compute with photos.

There's a limit to how different you can make the ultimate simplistic yet elegant design look. It's like expecting the next generation of eggs to look more simple, functional, and elegant. When you achieve perfection, there's little room for improvement.

Renzatic

Suspended
That would be great. They could put all the bulkey electronics in the chin and make the entire display as thin as the iMac's edges. Yes!

It's doable...

Thin_OLED.jpg

califlorida

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
Spends $2000 on a Mac but has $20 computer table.

Lol - priorities

LMAO this is just a desk where it's sitting until all software get's transferred over. Then it's going onto the REAL desk in the studio.

Funny **** though.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
got my email from apple saying my 27" imac is coming on dec 19th!

AND IM IN UK! .. apple do their best to get em out for xmas ...

ive been having a macbook pro every 2 years , this my first imac since the flavoured ones days .. i got a 11" macbook air right now ... really loving it so much ... was har d to get used to 11" screen when i put my old 15" mbp next to it ... but once i sold that .. im now used to the small size ...

ddo you think if i sell it on ebay delivered for xmas i would get a lot of money for it ???

califlorida

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
For all those talking about the lump in the back. I really don't think it's as much of an issue o. The 27" as the 21" due to the footprint. *sorry for the rotated pics damn iPhone 5 lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 398

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I think they do it to make it look shinny and stylish, the original reason why the stuck the glass there to begin with.

We have had to wait so long for apple to at least begin to deal with the glare issue they introduced and here they are almost touting glare on the box...

Some things simply don't click with apple these days...

At least they reduced the glare by what, 75%?

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Well, well, well. Why the he11 hasn't ifixit gotten their's yet?

Attachments

• don-draper-mad-men-008.jpg
    don-draper-mad-men-008.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 79

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
anyone find pictures of what the RAM upgrade process looks like?

I just did it....Really easy. You just push the button, the door pops open, then you pull on some little levers that swing the slots into a position that it's easy to snap the sticks in. The door has a kind of odd system to keep it in -- Little silver coils all the way around that flex when pushed on...Yeah, I wish that I had taken photos.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
At least they reduced the glare by what, 75%?

I sure hope they have cause I am in the market for one, but from what I am reading it's more like a 25% reduction.

Still, it's a much needed step forward (albeit for a problem they introduced with the glass to begin with) and one of the very few ways, maybe the only one I guess, that the imac is ahead of the competition since in terms of ergonomics, upgradeability options, desktop parts, touchscreen, bezel size, ports and sd card placement and speakers it's way worse than the AIO's of competitors.

I wish these days apple didn't take a couple of steps back for every step forward they take, and that they were bolder with their design to take it to next functional level. They wanted to make it thin looking and this demanded for a tapering that meant the bezel couldn't decrease or even go away, it meant the sd card going at the back, it made for poor quality speakers, worse upgradability (the magnet system they used was so great and elegant, why did they have to glue the computer up this time....) etc.

Btw, can we have a heads up what's going on with vesa mounting these babies? The current vesa adapter on apple's store doesn't work for this imac, and I would shudder to think we won't be able to stick an ergo stand to it and are stuck with straining our eyes and heads to see the top of the screen. That or we need to place it a desk as high as they ones they have in kindergartens.

Anyone found any info on vesa mounting?

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I sure hope they have cause I am in the market for one, but from what I am reading it's more like a 25% reduction.

Still, it's a much needed step forward (albeit for a problem they introduced with the glass to begin with) and one of the very few ways, maybe the only one I guess, that the imac is ahead of the competition since in terms of ergonomics, upgradeability options, desktop parts, touchscreen, ports and sd card placement and speakers it's way worse than the AIO's of competitors.

I wish these days apple didn't take a couple of steps back for every step forward they take...

Btw, can we have a heads up what's going on with vesa mounting these babies? The current vesa adapter on apple's store doesn't work for this imac, and I would shudder to think we won't be able to stick an ergo stand to it and are stuck with straining our eyes and heads to see the top of the screen. That or we need to place it a desk as high as they ones they have in kindergartens.

Anyone found any info on vesa mounting?

If it's anything like the rMBP reduction in glare, it's definitely better... But not great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.