Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
happened twice to me tonight. taking pictures im pretty sure with the flash it just shut off. gave the battery symbol. plugged it in and it started up at 14%. tried it a few minutes after using the phone normally and it did it again and shut off.
Anybody else have this problem?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Sounds like the battery percentage not reporting the correct percentage.

i tested it with this iAssistant and it shows to be the same. if it was actually dead it would take a while to charge.

literally i plugged it in and the apple logo came on and it turned on

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
i tested it with this iAssistant and it shows to be the same. if it was actually dead it would take a while to charge.

literally i plugged it in and the apple logo came on and it turned on

That's weird. Maybe, you should schedule an appointment at the apple store?

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Yeah this happened to my on my 4S and my launch day iphone 5, and the replacement I received (other problem).

I never figured out why it does it, it's got to be some glitch.

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
My wife's 4s just started doing the same thing in the last week or two. She has had a couple Genius Bar appointments (they reset her phone). The said if its still happening, she'll get a new phone.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
can somebody test this? ive tested it today at 10% with flash. took 3 pictures and hit the home button and bam. happened again. im wondering if its a normal thing with these phones and i never noticed it.

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az
it might just be drawing a lot of current and the battery controller might not "feel" as if it has enough juice and shuts down...you could test with a multimeter I will try and do this soon and report back....

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
My friends iPhone 4s does that too! I found it very strange. After it shuts off (seeing the pinwheel) it gives the "need to plug in icon" after pushing on the power button. A couple tries later, it turns back on, showing 15% battery remaining and the phone works just fine.

Raveiga

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Same problem with iphone 4S 64 GB

When taking pictures around 20% battery in my iphone 4S 64GB it shutdowns and you have to rebooting (home+switch on/off) to start again or connect it to the charger to back on again.

It always show low battery but is not correct. It backs on with 19%-20% battery remain.

When rebooting if you don't take pictures or make videos te phone is working till battery runs out at 1%, so the normal behaviour.

I'm using the last IOS 6.0.1

After 2 months with that problem I restored the iphone today, and the problem still continues.

Apple can you hear me?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Sounds like the phone protecting itself from users imo. You want to try and keep Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries above 20% if you can help it as draining them completely damages them. A lot of devices automatically shut off below 10% to protect the battery from completely draining (a big nono with Li-Ion/Poly).

rubyarchibald_

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2017
happened twice to me tonight. taking pictures im pretty sure with the flash it just shut off. gave the battery symbol. plugged it in and it started up at 14%. tried it a few minutes after using the phone normally and it did it again and shut off.
Anybody else have this problem?
Mine does the same

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.