Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
The biggest advantage Apple's maps have over Google Maps, for me at least, is easy integration with Contacts. Is this something that Google would even be allowed to include, so that I can speak the name of a contact and get a route?

RevolvingSheep

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Does anyone else feel like this is a really bad sign? Google handles the maps on the iPhone while being their main competition in the mobile market, Apple drops Google's map and integrates their own and then fails in the effort, Google makes a better version of a map app than even on their own platform and everyone on the iPhone jumps ship.

This just seems like a very horrible thing for Apple.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Thank you google
BIG HUG:D

Now i can Drive safely with these :cool: features.

Still Love u :apple: but sometimes we need others to help with our relationship ;)

PS

U lucky u approved the app :p

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
The biggest advantage Apple's maps have over Google Maps, for me at least, is easy integration with Contacts. Is this something that Google would even be allowed to include, so that I can speak the name of a contact and get a route?

Who cares. Google's app is 50 times better than the Apple Maps app. I can deal with typing in the first few letters of where I want to get to and having it pop up instantly.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
I wonder if apple didnt release their mapping software ,when would have goggle update thier map app for iOS..:p

well, rest assured - Google didn't program this gem in the last 8 weeks. This certainly was meant to be an update at first.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Its a pretty beautiful app. I'm loving it and its much more accurate in terms of places. Only thing I'm having trouble is how do you access your contacts to get directions to them? Anyone know?:confused:

pirateyarrr

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Does anyone else feel like this is a really bad sign? Google handles the maps on the iPhone while being their main competition in the mobile market, Apple drops Google's map and integrates their own and then fails in the effort, Google makes a better version of a map app than even on their own platform and everyone on the iPhone jumps ship.

But an excellent thing for consumers.

Unless you own a shtload of Apple stock, you should probably be celebrating exactly what you described.

Of course, if you're just a superfan with no real stake in Apple besides your own emotional attachment to all things Applely, you have bigger problems.

Competition, and an open market, both benefit us. Cheering for one side to beat the other is asinine.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

Google Maps has been around for close to a decade. Of course it's going to be more polished. This is the exact kind of thing that it takes a while to build.

Kr00

Suspended
Jul 21, 2012
Whiney American voice

Navigation voice comes in only one flavour. Whiney American female. No thanks. You think I'm driving to the sound of that. Not bloody likely. Give us an option please.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I can't believe Apple allowed this on the store. It is clearly a better product than Apple Maps. It's one thing to admit you screwed up, but to allow your direct competitor free reign on your platform?

I can only think that Apple has realized getting Apple Maps in order is going to take much longer than they first thought, and they want to 1) prevent people choosing Android over iPhone because of the Maps, and 2) encourage people to upgrade to iOS 6 -- which is a serious problem for developers that want to utilize iOS 6 features.

I will say that transit directions "were not available" in my area, which is Los Angeles. And the user experience seems very Androidy. But certainly it's more full-featured than Apple Maps.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

Exactly. This is far and away the most embarrassing thing to ever have happened to Apple since Scully.

I really think Steve would have released Apple maps ASAP just like Tim did. But how would he react to this aftermath??

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Great to have working maps back on my phone. Here's hoping my 3rd party apps are quick to update and use Google's SDK.

Now, if only I could force Siri to use Google's offering instead of Apple's, I'd be set...it'd be nice to be able to use location based reminders again.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"- KamenLee notes you can shake your iPhone (in frustration) which will trigger a Feedback form to Google. "

lol. Only have one thing to say to this ... nice.

What if users get frustrated constantly.

raazman

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
With the direction that Google is going in with the Android version of the apps, it seems like maps will be updated soon on Android as well.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I can't believe Apple allowed this on the store. It is clearly a better product than Apple Maps. It's one thing to admit you screwed up, but to allow your direct competitor free reign on your platform?.

Free reign? That's not just hyperbole, you are right on. Apple just allowed Google to release one of the most important apps for its phone, in competition with its own 1st party app...

...AND they let Google release API so that all of Apple devs can include google maps in their apps instead of Apple maps.

WTF? That's full on panic mode from apple. Absolutely embarrassing. *****.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Goodbye to the toothless senile drunken old man on acid that was Apple maps.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
What about traffic? Waze and apple maps warn you about traffic via crowdsourcing (waze is more successful in this endeavor) but does google maps? What about turning the phone on when driving at night and a turn is coming up, rather than leaving it on for the whole drive? Does it track the vehicle's movement as smoothly and accuratly as apple maps?

Last edited:

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

This. Most of the addresses I navigate to are stored in my Contacts. While I really like Google's new app, I wish I could access my stored addresses or create some sort of "Favorites" list.

BuckusToothnuts

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
This Google Maps app ALONE is worth the price of admission of the iPhone 5.

Apple should really be kicking back some of the profits they make off iOS now back to Google.

If Google acted like Apple, they would have kept Google Maps exclusive to Android. Instead, they allowed iOS users have it for FREE.

Google supports customer choice whereas Apple believes in creating a monopoly.

Google believes in offering the best user experience despite jeopardizing potential revenues whereas Apple believes in protecting potential revenues despite jeopardizing the user experience.

Bravo Google! Thanks for making our iPhones complete again. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.