Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Am I the only one mad at Verizon for a $40 activation fee for a $10 add on for my iPad mini??? I'm on a share everything plan and have no problem with the $10/mo fee but the $40 is almost 4 months of service and I just feel its ridiculous.

I went through multiple levels of Verizon customer service and was unable to get it waived.

Am I off base?

So far I have refused to activate......

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
I just think/ feel its nickel and diming us...... I could go prepaid but that's $20/mo st least, no activation fee though which shows its just b.s.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Not Verizon but with Bell.

I have $5 Data (10MB), obviously I have no plans using this but it's required for me to get MobileTV for NFL Sunday, which cost $5. About $13 a month.

The sale rep said I will be charged $35 Activation Fee which both us found ridiculous but he said try calling them and be straight up how insane this is.

I called the next day and surprisingly the lady agreed with me and said my account will be credited.

BTW, this is not a contract because if they didn't give me the credit I would've cancelled.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Am I the only one mad at Verizon for a $40 activation fee for a $10 add on for my iPad mini??? I'm on a share everything plan and have no problem with the $10/mo fee but the $40 is almost 4 months of service and I just feel its ridiculous.

I went through multiple levels of Verizon customer service and was unable to get it waived.

Am I off base?

I was just told that there was no activation fee or increase in the length of the contract for the addition of an iPad to an already active Share Everything plan. The only additional cost was the $10 monthly fee.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I was just told that there was no activation fee or increase in the length of the contract for the addition of an iPad to an already active Share Everything plan. The only additional cost was the $10 monthly fee.
When I got my iPad mini, I had to call to have it added to my Share plan, and they charged me an activation fee. I ended up returning the mini, and when I wanted to add my old iPad 3 (that had been on the pre-paid monthly system), I had to take it to the store, and the only way they could activate it was on a new line, which required another activation fee.

Maybe if you add it to a plan yourself thru their website, there's no fee. But both times I tried that, it didn't work and I had to call/go in for help.

Boob

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Verizon is the worst. Horrible horrible service.

Their service is awesome. Have had them since last spring and can't complain. No wonder they were rated top carrier. AT&T on the other hand was rated worst carrier. Now they probably have crappy service.

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Call them. They may waive the activation fee. I had AT&T waive both my activation fees - for the mini and iPad 3. They also gave me back the $30 I spent to set up month-to-month cellular on mini the day I got it - did all of this when I set up mobile share.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
I already tried with multiple people....

Call them. They may waive the activation fee. I had AT&T waive both my activation fees - for the mini and iPad 3. They also gave me back the $30 I spent to set up month-to-month cellular on mini the day I got it - did all of this when I set up mobile share.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
VZW does have a reputation for nickleing and diming its customers so I'm not surprised

So does AT&T. VZW has been much quicker to waive activation fees than AT&T ever was. With them, it was like a part time job trying to get them to waive it.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Unfortunately, fees such as this are the way of the world now. Fees for everything on airlines, fees for everything at hotels, cars etc.

They probably would rather waive the monthly charge than the fees.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Tried that also.....didn't work, I will have to wait for some type of holiday promotion.

Unfortunately, fees such as this are the way of the world now. Fees for everything on airlines, fees for everything at hotels, cars etc.

They probably would rather waive the monthly charge than the fees.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Call AT&T to complain about the $36 fee. They actually took the fees off for the 2 iPhone 5s, and the original iPad I put on the plan. $36 x 3 = $108 just because I talked to them.

Me: '$36 for my iPad activation seems a little unfair. It's only $10 a month for service.'
AT&T CSR: 'I'll look into it....' (2 minutes pass)
AT&T CSR: 'I gave you a $36 statement credit for your iPad activation, and $36 statement credit for each the 2 iPhone 5 activations you had recently. A total credit of $108.'
Me: 'Wow. That's awesome. Thanks.'
AT&T CSR: 'Anything else I can help you with?'
Me: 'No. Thank you.'

Just get the right AT&T Customer Service Representative (CSR), and you might not have to pay it.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Call AT&T to complain about the $36 fee. They actually took the fees off for the 2 iPhone 5s, and the original iPad I put on the plan. $36 x 3 = $108 just because I talked to them.

Me: '$36 for my iPad activation seems a little unfair. It's only $10 a month for service.'
AT&T CSR: 'I'll look into it....' (2 minutes pass)
AT&T CSR: 'I gave you a $36 statement credit for your iPad activation, and $36 statement credit for each the 2 iPhone 5 activations you had recently. A total credit of $108.'
Me: 'Wow. That's awesome. Thanks.'
AT&T CSR: 'Anything else I can help you with?'
Me: 'No. Thank you.'

Just get the right AT&T Customer Service Representative (CSR), and you might not have to pay it.

Agreed. I had AT&T waive 3 iPhone activations recently. They didn't even hesitate. I'll be calling them again if I end up swapping my Wi-Fi for the LTE.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I thank verizon every day that they had to include a personal hotspot with my iphone 5 free of charge. I connect my ipad to it all the time when i am on the go and dont have to pay an additional $10 a month for it...:D

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I thank verizon every day that they had to include a personal hotspot with my iphone 5 free of charge. I connect my ipad to it all the time when i am on the go and dont have to pay an additional $10 a month for it...:D

I do the same with AT&T as it's free with my plan. I am however considering swapping it for the LTE model. Don't get me wrong, tethering is nice, but AT&T is offering $100 off the Minis until the 31st. I can basically swap my 32 GB Wi-Fi for about 30 bucks.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
haha! who actually pays these fees?

i've been a customer with Verizon Wireless since VZW started, and i was with BAM before that for 4 years. i have never once paid an activation fee or an upgrade fee or any of that crap. they've tried in the stores, and i get them to waive them. it's actually fairly easy, just tell them "waive the fee or i'll go somewhere else". done.

then i realized if you avoid the stores all together and do everything online, you don't get bombarded with these BS fees that the carriers try to impose

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania

Am I off base?

Beats $35/month for the pay as you go plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.