Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:15 PM   #1
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular

$40 activation fee for $10 month service? You suck Verizon!!!!

Am I the only one mad at Verizon for a $40 activation fee for a $10 add on for my iPad mini??? I'm on a share everything plan and have no problem with the $10/mo fee but the $40 is almost 4 months of service and I just feel its ridiculous.

I went through multiple levels of Verizon customer service and was unable to get it waived.

Am I off base?

So far I have refused to activate......
gadgetmonster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Technically ATT charges $36 for a $10 additional phone line on a family plan. Same ballpark I suppose.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'd be pissed too. That's asinine.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular

I just think/ feel its nickel and diming us...... I could go prepaid but that's $20/mo st least, no activation fee though which shows its just b.s.
gadgetmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:52 PM   #5
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

Verizon is the worst. Horrible horrible service.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:55 PM   #6
bembol
macrumors 6502a

Not Verizon but with Bell.

I have $5 Data (10MB), obviously I have no plans using this but it's required for me to get MobileTV for NFL Sunday, which cost $5. About $13 a month.

The sale rep said I will be charged $35 Activation Fee which both us found ridiculous but he said try calling them and be straight up how insane this is.

I called the next day and surprisingly the lady agreed with me and said my account will be credited.

BTW, this is not a contract because if they didn't give me the credit I would've cancelled.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:15 PM   #7
class77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetmonster View Post
Am I the only one mad at Verizon for a $40 activation fee for a $10 add on for my iPad mini??? I'm on a share everything plan and have no problem with the $10/mo fee but the $40 is almost 4 months of service and I just feel its ridiculous.

I went through multiple levels of Verizon customer service and was unable to get it waived.

Am I off base?

I was just told that there was no activation fee or increase in the length of the contract for the addition of an iPad to an already active Share Everything plan. The only additional cost was the $10 monthly fee.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:25 PM   #8
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
I was just told that there was no activation fee or increase in the length of the contract for the addition of an iPad to an already active Share Everything plan. The only additional cost was the $10 monthly fee.
When I got my iPad mini, I had to call to have it added to my Share plan, and they charged me an activation fee. I ended up returning the mini, and when I wanted to add my old iPad 3 (that had been on the pre-paid monthly system), I had to take it to the store, and the only way they could activate it was on a new line, which required another activation fee.

Maybe if you add it to a plan yourself thru their website, there's no fee. But both times I tried that, it didn't work and I had to call/go in for help.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Boob
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAN19 View Post
Verizon is the worst. Horrible horrible service.
Their service is awesome. Have had them since last spring and can't complain. No wonder they were rated top carrier. AT&T on the other hand was rated worst carrier. Now they probably have crappy service.
Boob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:15 AM   #10
class77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I just think/ feel its nickel and diming us...... I could go prepaid but that's $20/mo st least, no activation fee though which shows its just b.s.
Prepaid has a fee for suspending service. The fee is $15 every 90 days.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:57 AM   #11
nehope
macrumors member

Call them. They may waive the activation fee. I had AT&T waive both my activation fees - for the mini and iPad 3. They also gave me back the $30 I spent to set up month-to-month cellular on mini the day I got it - did all of this when I set up mobile share.
nehope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:22 AM   #12
maflynn

Quote:
I just think/ feel its nickel and diming us.
VZW does have a reputation for nickleing and diming its customers so I'm not surprised
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:30 AM   #13
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular

I already tried with multiple people....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehope View Post
Call them. They may waive the activation fee. I had AT&T waive both my activation fees - for the mini and iPad 3. They also gave me back the $30 I spent to set up month-to-month cellular on mini the day I got it - did all of this when I set up mobile share.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:32 AM   #14
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
VZW does have a reputation for nickleing and diming its customers so I'm not surprised
So does AT&T. VZW has been much quicker to waive activation fees than AT&T ever was. With them, it was like a part time job trying to get them to waive it.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:50 AM   #15
CTHarrryH
macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, fees such as this are the way of the world now. Fees for everything on airlines, fees for everything at hotels, cars etc.

They probably would rather waive the monthly charge than the fees.
CTHarrryH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:21 AM   #16
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular

Tried that also.....didn't work, I will have to wait for some type of holiday promotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHarrryH View Post
Unfortunately, fees such as this are the way of the world now. Fees for everything on airlines, fees for everything at hotels, cars etc.

They probably would rather waive the monthly charge than the fees.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:22 AM   #17
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
I'm on a share everything plan and have no problem with the $10/mo fee but the $40 is almost 4 months of service and I just feel its ridiculous.
Agreed, it does seem excessive.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:39 AM   #18
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular

......Especially after paying $80 for two iPhone 5s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed, it does seem excessive.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:14 AM   #19
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Call AT&T to complain about the $36 fee. They actually took the fees off for the 2 iPhone 5s, and the original iPad I put on the plan. $36 x 3 = $108 just because I talked to them.

Me: '$36 for my iPad activation seems a little unfair. It's only $10 a month for service.'
AT&T CSR: 'I'll look into it....' (2 minutes pass)
AT&T CSR: 'I gave you a $36 statement credit for your iPad activation, and $36 statement credit for each the 2 iPhone 5 activations you had recently. A total credit of $108.'
Me: 'Wow. That's awesome. Thanks.'
AT&T CSR: 'Anything else I can help you with?'
Me: 'No. Thank you.'

Just get the right AT&T Customer Service Representative (CSR), and you might not have to pay it.
bbeagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:18 AM   #20
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
Call AT&T to complain about the $36 fee. They actually took the fees off for the 2 iPhone 5s, and the original iPad I put on the plan. $36 x 3 = $108 just because I talked to them.

Me: '$36 for my iPad activation seems a little unfair. It's only $10 a month for service.'
AT&T CSR: 'I'll look into it....' (2 minutes pass)
AT&T CSR: 'I gave you a $36 statement credit for your iPad activation, and $36 statement credit for each the 2 iPhone 5 activations you had recently. A total credit of $108.'
Me: 'Wow. That's awesome. Thanks.'
AT&T CSR: 'Anything else I can help you with?'
Me: 'No. Thank you.'

Just get the right AT&T Customer Service Representative (CSR), and you might not have to pay it.
Agreed. I had AT&T waive 3 iPhone activations recently. They didn't even hesitate. I'll be calling them again if I end up swapping my Wi-Fi for the LTE.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:26 AM   #21
bigboar
macrumors 6502

I thank verizon every day that they had to include a personal hotspot with my iphone 5 free of charge. I connect my ipad to it all the time when i am on the go and dont have to pay an additional $10 a month for it...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:49 AM   #22
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
I thank verizon every day that they had to include a personal hotspot with my iphone 5 free of charge. I connect my ipad to it all the time when i am on the go and dont have to pay an additional $10 a month for it...
I do the same with AT&T as it's free with my plan. I am however considering swapping it for the LTE model. Don't get me wrong, tethering is nice, but AT&T is offering $100 off the Minis until the 31st. I can basically swap my 32 GB Wi-Fi for about 30 bucks.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:26 PM   #23
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Yep, the data share plans on either carrier are a huge price increase and activation fees are just one more reason.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:20 PM   #24
Medic311
macrumors 65816

haha! who actually pays these fees?

i've been a customer with Verizon Wireless since VZW started, and i was with BAM before that for 4 years. i have never once paid an activation fee or an upgrade fee or any of that crap. they've tried in the stores, and i get them to waive them. it's actually fairly easy, just tell them "waive the fee or i'll go somewhere else". done.

then i realized if you avoid the stores all together and do everything online, you don't get bombarded with these BS fees that the carriers try to impose
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:24 PM   #25
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Am I off base?

Beats $35/month for the pay as you go plan.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad