Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Ultimately, Apple got what it wanted as well: Google to include voice turn-by-turn in the iOS version of is App equal to what it had been offering on other devices.

You don't seriously believe this do you?

At what cost?

Lets see a few items that Apple have had to endure:
* huge amounts of negative media coverage due to Apple Maps
* Execs canned
* Extra costs involved ( $$ and resources ) to correct mapping errors
* Unhappy users

Do you think the Google Maps with navigation outweigh all the negatives Apple have gone through?

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Well, if using Apple Maps actually does anything to make it better as Apple said initially, they just took about a hundred steps back. I'd love to see the usage statistics of Apple Maps 24 hours ago vs. today.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Do people really think that Google Maps will hit above 50%? I'm genuinely curious. I'd assume that Apple Maps being pre-installed and hooked into the OS will give it a pretty solid edge with the non-technical crowd.

Agreed. Google map will be the number 1 app dowload in the app store for a while but as a percentage of all IOS device out there, it will be lucky to break 30%. There is a segment of user who never use map on their IOS device to start out with. And then there are those that already find a substitute map solution. Apple map is installed in 100% of the user base in IOS6, whether user use it or not, Apple will continue to collect user information. While Google will have to fight for users to take the action to install the app into their devices, little wonder that Google throw in the turn by turn and make the app even better than the one in Android. So at the end, Apple did IOS users a favor by forcing Google to put their best stuff in IOS without giving in Google's demand.. I am not sure that is how Apple drew up the play book, but it works out for now. But Apple better fix the IOS map asap. Passbook seems to be confused sometimes..

docbrown

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012

At what cost?

* Execs canned
* Unhappy users

Do you think the Google Maps with navigation outweigh all the negatives Apple have gone through?

Except in the end, Apple's iPhone has now become a much better product. So it's a win for apple that Google added this app. Now there is one less reason to go Android. Lack of good mapping is not an excuse.

Munch

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006
Really happy about this! Finally can upgrade to iOS6. I'm thinking that Apple may have let this app slide through some of it's stringent checks just to keep more users staying with them. Why go to google now when Apple has a Google Maps app?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Except in the end, Apple's iPhone has now become a much better product. So it's a win for apple that Google added this app. Now there is one less reason to go Android. Lack of good mapping is not an excuse.

But they could have had that with none of the downsides if they'd just given Google the branding and data that they wanted in the first place (and now have anyway!).

There's other downsides too - the suite of Google iOS apps are unquestionably training regular users how to get along with Android's UI, which lowers the barrier of switching out of iOS. Apple have wasted huge amounts of money & effort they could have invested making the OS better in other ways. And Apple's famed "integration" is fragmented and broken - apps now don't consistently link to the same maps app, or use the same interface for mapping. Indeed, if anything, Android is now better on this front for integration.

Apple are now under real pressure to allow users to change the default apps, which would decimate the market share of their own apps (most of which have been neglected), and again, would lower the barrier to switching provider.

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Again do you think the damage caused for Apple justifies the outcome?

If people were going to go Android they would have done regardless of maps. In any case, there are plenty of Navigation apps available for iOS other than Google - a few being better than Google ( offline maps for one example ).

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012

At what cost?

* Execs canned
* Unhappy users

If Apple uses it as a learning experience, then it can be a positive. No company is perfect or does the right thing all the time. If Forstall was an issue before and was leading to internal conflict, this mapping debacle that in the end caused his release may be a big blessing (vs taking longer for him to be released).

I think having their own mapping solution is likely a necessity (as we saw Google essentially had them as hostage to ask for what they wanted before giving Apple what they wanted for what many see as a core functionality for a smartphone). Apple's solution should have been better out of the gate, and time will tell as to how quickly it improves. Now Google Maps is out and has the features Apple was looking for and likely all the branding and user data Google wanted. Did both win, both lose or somewhere in between? :)

Snits

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2007
Win Win iOS users!

Here's how it went:
Google stiffed Apple on turn by turn for its maps.
Apple booted Google from iOS and created Apple maps.
Google caves and creates turn by turn for iOS maps.
Apple now has two good free map apps available to iOS users.
(And the Google map app better than Android's version.)
Apple 2, Google 0 :D

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
here's the bottom line:

1. google maps is better than apple maps, and frankly it always will be. read in the plex and you will understand how no company will ever be able to out do google on search, maps, and big data.

2. the maps fiasco was apple's fault, they didn't want to let google call the maps app "google maps" so google didn't want to give them voice nav. to those of you who think apple won, they didn't.. google got its app, its branding, its data collection, requires everyone who wants to use the app to have a gmail/google+ account and will be able to display ads eventually.. and google comes out looking like a savior. what did apple get? they didn't get anything.. they lost the google maps engine for their app, they didn't get googles voice nav, they spent a fortune developing their own maps app, a massive backlash, an avalanche of bad press, a corporate shake up, and they look incompetent to boot.

3. ultimately we win, we get one of the best features of android on our iphones and ipads. unfortunately though because of apples hardline stance on app integration we can't get stuff like google now we just get google voice search. we can't use google voice recognition (which blows siri out of the water) for core apps like phone, messages, calendar, reminders, music, etc.. but thats only because apple won't let it!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I agree that it would be in Apple's best interest to have their own mapping application.

Forstall was an existing issue, but others got canned to due to Maps, which, if had gone well, may well be still at Apple.

Apple Maps was a major feature of iOS 6.. which doesn't work well. Apple rushed it out before it was ready. The release of maps was badly managed - they didn't even call it "Beta", and Apple had known that there were critical issues before its release. Maybe Apple should have delayed maps release until iOS7?

Apple have probably come out of this worse than Google. Personally, I wouldn't start using the words "Win" or "Lose" - and are over used in these forums.. Apple have suffered more negativity than Google. Google have actually done pretty well out of this IMO - that is - has been great publicity for Google Maps.

If Apple uses it as a learning experience, then it can be a positive. No company is perfect or does the right thing all the time. If Forstall was an issue before and was leading to internal conflict, this mapping debacle that in the end caused his release may be a big blessing (vs taking longer for him to be released).

I think having their own mapping solution is likely a necessity (as we saw Google essentially had them as hostage to ask for what they wanted before giving Apple what they wanted for what many see as a core functionality for a smartphone). Apple's solution should have been better out of the gate, and time will tell as to how quickly it improves. Now Google Maps is out and has the features Apple was looking for and likely all the branding and user data Google wanted. Did both win, both lose or somewhere in between? :)

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
But they could have had that with none of the downsides if they'd just given Google the branding and data that they wanted in the first place (and now have anyway!).

The bottom line is Apple can't be dependent on a competitor (Google) for a critical service (mapping). They just can't. So yes, Google Maps is back in to stanch the bleeding from the major flesh wound that is the new Apple Maps, but Apple can't turn back now. They have to keep working Apple Maps until it is equivalent to - or better than - Google Maps. Yes, it is a big challenge. No, Apple can't avoid it.

Next step: Apple search.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Here's how it went:
Google stiffed Apple on turn by turn for its maps.
Apple booted Google from iOS and created Apple maps.
Google caves and creates turn by turn for iOS maps.
Apple now has two good free map apps available to iOS users.
(And the Google map app better than Android's version.)
Apple 2, Google 0 :D

it amazes me that some of you are such fanboys that you actually see the world in such a skewed way. this is an utter, complete and devastating loss for apple on every conceivable level. their core maps app is being pushed into everyones "garbage" folder never to be used again, google is being hailed as a savior and comes out looking like the good guy, apple has had a pr nightmare the last couples of months, google gets exactly what they wanted in the first place.. their own branded app. except now, EVERYONE will use it and it will take an awful lot for most people to give apple maps another chance. this app release which under normal conditions wouldn't even be on anyones radar is on every tech blog, forum, etc.. you name it. its all over facebook, it will probably be on the evening news tonight. thats how crazy this is, that is the kind of press and good will google couldn't buy for a billion dollars.

apple absolutely positively screwed up.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
I disagree. Not an awesome app at all.

iPad version should be out now, not eventually
UI is horrid
'Report a problem' totally hidden
No contacts access. Was asking for permission really too hard for them to do.

this app was supposed to be out in 2013, they rushed it out for us.. you don't think contacts access will come? geez. report a problem? shake your phone. ui is fantastic.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Why (or how) is the Google Maps app so bad in terms of UI? Can the folks who are griping about this please clearly explain what is bad about it?

It's just clunky. Swiping up to get information, swiping back to get to the map. I've never been a huge fan of swiping, I'd rather have a button. I prefer the simplicity of Apple's UI, as well as the cleanliness of the map itself.

Like I said, to each his own. If you like swiping things all the time, you'll love Google's new app.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012

There's other downsides too - the suite of Google iOS apps are unquestionably training regular users how to get along with Android's AI, which lowers the barrier of switching out of iOS. Apple have wasted huge amounts of money & effort they could have invested making the OS better in other ways. And Apple's famed "integration" is fragmented and broken - apps now don't consistently link to the same maps app, or use the same interface for mapping. Indeed, if anything, Android is now better on this front for integration.

Apple are now under real pressure to allow users to change the default apps, which would decimate the market share of their own apps (most of which have been neglected), and again, would lower the barrier to switching provider.

I think this may be an important part of Google's strategy that many of the folks on this forum do not realize. With Google providing a map app that is (or is perceived to be) better than Apple's and with Google getting positive press from this, it's easy to see how this could cause some people to pause and think "well, if Google's map app is this great, I wonder what else is so great about Android?" I'm not saying an overwhelming number of long-time iOS users will think this, but there will certainly be some folks who do and that number is bound to increase as Google apps for iOS become better.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
finally! and I finally updated my touch to iOS 6

I've been waiting for google maps to arrive before updating my ipod touch 4 to iOS 6 and wow, it was worth the wait! A fantastic app! I played around with it for a couple of hours comparing it to Apple native maps and it's certainly WAY better. Integrated transit and streetview were the main reasons I wanted it but there are other things I love about it too. I live in downtown Toronto and POI data on Google maps is a LOT more complete than in Apple Maps ( neither one is perfect, however). Also, syncing history with my desktop searches is great.

Bravo, google!

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Apple Maps = now buried in a folder deep on my iPhone (would delete if I could).
Google Maps = proudly featured on the first page of my home screen.

Thank you Apple for screwing your map app so much and, thank you Google for now showing Apple what a maps app should be like.

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
can anyone confirm if voice turn by turn works over Bluetooth like it does it for Apple Maps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.