Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1
crovali
macrumors member

27" iMac Black Dot of Death

My BTO 27" iMac came today. This is my first Apple computer and I'm loving everything about it. I inspected the screen and it looks perfect; no yellowing, no dead pixels. This is one problem though... there's a black dot on the front of the computer to the left of the apple logo. I cant stand it. Every time I look at my computer I see this dot staring back at me. Taunting me. Should I bring it in to an apple store and swap it out for a new model?
crovali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by crovali View Post
My BTO 27" iMac came today. This is my first Apple computer and I'm loving everything about it. I inspected the screen and it looks perfect; no yellowing, no dead pixels. This is one problem though... there's a black dot on the front of the computer to the left of the apple logo. I cant stand it. Every time I look at my computer I see this dot staring back at me. Taunting me. Should I bring it in to an apple store and swap it out for a new model?
Clearly a stuck pixel for the 21st Century.

Perhaps a silly question, but is it actually a defect, or just a piece of gunk that can be scraped off?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3
crovali
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Clearly a stuck pixel for the 21st Century.

Perhaps a silly question, but is it actually a defect, or just a piece of gunk that can be scraped off?
It is a defect. It cannot be cleaned off. It's permanent.

----------

here is another pic
crovali is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:39 PM   #4
scruby
macrumors member

Most deff swap it for a new one. You paid big cash for this product so expect it to be 100% ok. Apple will be happy to swap anyways
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:41 PM   #5
FuriousGreg
macrumors member

I said the same thing in another post but call it in and you'll likely get an Apple store credit. The other poster got $150. It's very unlikely that whatever caused the dot will effect your machine (who knows though?) but Apple needs to know of these defects so they can see if it's an aberration or endemic and track down the factory/team responsable and fix the problem.
FuriousGreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Arman
macrumors regular

Oh god. I've heard about this black dot. Be careful. Most likely a fried flux capaciter transistor on the inside. U probably won't have any problems until it runs past it's warranty.
Arman is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:43 PM   #7
dwarnecke11
macrumors 6502

'Tis but a beauty spot!

Seriously though, get it swapped.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:48 PM   #8
niuniu
Banned

Sugar might work on it. Need to know what that silver coat is made from first though, is it silver paint like the first gen Intel Powerbooks/MBPs or just plain metal like the current MBPs?
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Take it back.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:54 PM   #10
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousGreg View Post
I said the same thing in another post but call it in and you'll likely get an Apple store credit. The other poster got $150. It's very unlikely that whatever caused the dot will effect your machine (who knows though?) but Apple needs to know of these defects so they can see if it's an aberration or endemic and track down the factory/team responsable and fix the problem.
That was for an etching issue, not a black ... thing.

I agree, I'd take it back. Otherwise you'd have to stare at that thing for years.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:57 PM   #11
sucramdi
macrumors member

Damn, that would annoy me so much. I'd definitely bring it in to the Apple Store
sucramdi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:02 PM   #12
iohass
macrumors regular

only drawback of taking it back is that this machine is perfect and byswapping it, you are risking receiving one with a defect
iohass is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:05 PM   #13
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65832

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I'm amazed at the vanity if people would return a computer because of *that*.. Oh well..
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:11 PM   #14
crovali
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iohass View Post
only drawback of taking it back is that this machine is perfect and byswapping it, you are risking receiving one with a defect
exactly...le sigh

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
I'm amazed at the vanity if people would return a computer because of *that*.. Oh well..
If I'm paying 2.7k for a computer I demand perfection!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:12 PM   #15
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
Why not?
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by crovali View Post
If I'm paying 2.7k for a computer I demand perfection!
I agree. I bet if you explain your situation to Apple, they'll ship out a new one and work it where you'll have to give the old one to the delivery person before you receive the new one. Essentially you're looking at minimal downtime. Hope this situation works out for you.
Johnf1285 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:19 PM   #17
markie
macrumors 6502a

I would say don't swap it. It's VERY tiny, and shows Apple's quality standards if that's what you notice. But, I'm not you - to me, it's not functional, it's not major, and it's not in the screen itself.
markie is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:20 PM   #18
xgman
macrumors 68040

Try a damp Magic Eraser.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #19
crovali
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie View Post
I would say don't swap it. It's VERY tiny, and shows Apple's quality standards if that's what you notice. But, I'm not you - to me, it's not functional, it's not major, and it's not in the screen itself.
If the dot was off to the side somewhere or on the back I wouldn't mind but this is dead center. It's very noticeable. I'll call apple up and see what we can work out.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #20
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Use one of the Apple stickers included in the box to cover it up. Really, the people considering taking back a $2-3k machine because of a cosmetic blemish 1mm in size. First world problems I guess. Lets see how these people deal with the US government turning us into a third world country!
bflowers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:25 PM   #21
Chuckstones
macrumors regular

Fine tipped silver marker pen!

Sorted!!
Chuckstones is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:26 PM   #22
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502

Or you could become one of those people who puts post-its everywhere!
Mister Bumbo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:30 PM   #23
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflowers View Post
Use one of the Apple stickers included in the box to cover it up. Really, the people considering taking back a $2-3k machine because of a cosmetic blemish 1mm in size. First world problems I guess. Lets see how these people deal with the US government turning us into a third world country!
It is new. Would you say the something about a new Honda or Toyota you are picking up at the dealership? "I don't mind that dent and scratch. It is only a $25k car after all. First world problems."
53x12 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:31 PM   #24
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckstones View Post
Fine tipped silver marker pen!

Sorted!!
I was thinking that after I posted. I have a silver paint Sharpie that would do it.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:01 PM   #25
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
It is new. Would you say the something about a new Honda or Toyota you are picking up at the dealership? "I don't mind that dent and scratch. It is only a $25k car after all. First world problems."
Not really the same thing. At the dealership, it's your responsibility to look over the car you are buying. Hopefully take a test drive in it. Make sure it is to your satisfaction. With this computer, if mine shows up that way, I might report it, as others have suggested, so that Apple can track quality control issues. However, for a blemish that small, no, I wouldn't ask for, or accept a discount. I feel the same way about the minor scratch that was posted earlier. It was on the back, where it would likely rarely, if ever be seen. It has no impact on the function of the computer.

Besides, with cars, you are supposed to haggle over the price. Last I heard, only Saturns, now discontinued, had a no haggle price structure. For a car with a minor dent, I'd have them knock of a grand. After all, it's the car buyer's job to get as close to invoice pricing as possible, and the salesman's job to screw you as much as they can while still getting you to buy the car.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac