Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I played around with my friends android, definitely got faster but I wouldn't make the switch, the layout was a little confusing at first lol nowadays you could just turn an iPhone on almost as soon as you get it and just setup a few things and bam you have a phone. These things are so simple now for people who don't have all the time in the world to look at their phone.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
1. iphone 5 much more reliable and smooth than any android phone out there
2. iphone 5 much more reliable and smooth than any android phone out there
3. iphone 5 much more reliable and smooth than any android phone out there

if you need a phone that work every time you need it to work, its a clear choice

Yeah, like the perpetual problems with wifi on the iPhone and threads saying you need to wipe the phone for every single problem.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
One important feature for me is the front facing camera (for self pics/shots)...

It seems like Iphone5 takes better self shots?

I know that S3 has a feature to stop the shaking when taking self pics etc... but who has the better front facing camera for self pics?

technically the s3 does with 1.9mp and the iPhone is just 1.3

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I played around with an iphone 5 for a little bit. It's impressively small and light. I don't like the hard edges; I'd prefer curves like on the samsung. That relatively small screen is also a major letdown. Then there's the very real possibility of breaking that glass screen.

If only I could get samsung's form factor, esp. the bigger screen, with the ease of use of the iOS. I don't know if it's easy to use, actually, but a lot of people say so.

I just don't like either phone enough to pull the trigger on either.

The iphone's screen just doesn't seem very usable at all. It seems built for quick fact checking every once in a while, but with a mandatory $30 data plan, it seems like a waste of money.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
iPhone

1. Design
2. Ecosystem
3. Customer Support

Android

1. Features
2. Customization
3. Notification System

See, I've owned various iOS and Android devices and I simply can't see this anymore. Unless you're talking about tabs, ecosystem has not really been an issue between these platforms for a while now.

On the rare occasion that Android doesn't have an iOS app that I *must* have there are usually 5 alternatives which are as good or satisfactory.

Maybe you'd also be right for some games, but I detest playing most kinds of games on a touch only device.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
For me, I think it would be something like this:

iPhone: 1) perfect size, 2) regular, reliable OS updates, 3) it "just works," 4) better battery life.

Android:1) widgets, 2) quick toggles for wifi/gps/bluetooth etc, 3) custom keyboards such as Swype, 4) notification LED! (at least on some Androids), 5) Google Maps!

Overall, I think there are more pros to android than there are to iOS, in terms of sheer numbers. However, the pros to iOS to me are more significant.

TBH, with your thinking I would go for the iPhone, your 1,2,3,4 list is pretty persuasive, if that is how I viewed each platform I would pick the iPhone every time. I have a Nexus 4 and SGS3.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I played around with an iphone 5 for a little bit. It's impressively small and light. I don't like the hard edges; I'd prefer curves like on the samsung. That relatively small screen is also a major letdown. Then there's the very real possibility of breaking that glass screen.

If only I could get samsung's form factor, esp. the bigger screen, with the ease of use of the iOS. I don't know if it's easy to use, actually, but a lot of people say so.

I just don't like either phone enough to pull the trigger on either.

The iphone's screen just doesn't seem very usable at all. It seems built for quick fact checking every once in a while, but with a mandatory $30 data plan, it seems like a waste of money.

If that's the case, I don't see why iPhone has continued to see such good sales. And usability is a subjective term as well. Can you explain why it doesn't seem usable?:confused:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
What is 2gb of ram for if it can't manage memory properly.

Awww, he's trying to get all technical! :D Please, do explain this point. How do you support your idea that Android "can't manage memory properly"?

----------

no they are not, i recently tried the nexus 7..

See, most people like this only really have FUD left to talk disparagingly about Android these days.

Anyone else notice that a lot of the time they can't even bring up FUD correctly? They are rehashing issues they read on some website about Android 2.2 a few years ago....

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Awww, he's trying to get all technical! :D Please, do explain this point. How do you support your idea that Android "can't manage memory properly"?

----------

See, most people like this only really have FUD left to talk disparagingly about Android these days.

Why can't they just grow some balls and instead of lying just say "I prefer iOS".

Obviously if it lags and shuts down apps it can't manage memory, and android has always been like that. Why are you even in an apple forum if you don't like apple products?

I know the flaws of android and iOS since I have owned them both. What annoys me is when fanboys think their phones are perfect without flaws. Android is good but it still has the same problems with memory it always has. Learn a little about how a phone works before you try to be a smart a**.

Trust me Android isn't perfect just like iOS isn't perfect.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Obviously if it lags and shuts down apps it can't manage memory

No, IF something in a computer system lags it could be because of any number of reasons, including:

1. Poor/Inefficient coding of the application.
2. Issues with CPU
3. Issues with rendering the display
4. RAM related issues.
5. The system running out of any other system resource.

Can you guess which one is by far the most common on Android and almost all modern computer systems? Yes, that's right (1).

and android has always been like that.

No, it hasn't and it isn't.

Why are you even in an apple forum if you don't like apple products?

Quote the text where I said ONE thing in this thread about an Apple product...that was in fact the first time I have mentioned anything Apple related. I like Apple products and I'm typing this reply on my Macbook Pro.

I replied in quite a confrontational way to you because I can't stand it when people post stuff which is wrong from a technical point of view and as well as that, you're just talking rubbish.

What annoys me is when fanboys think their phones are perfect without flaws.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Trust me Android isn't perfect just like iOS isn't perfect.

I never claimed it was perfect. I was claiming that you don't know what you are talking about and/or are blinded by your zeal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The number one reason for me to stick with the iOS platform is the apple ecosystem. I use iCloud, for many things, emails, documents, calendar etc. I don't use google's products either so if I were to go back to android I'd need solutions to sync my stuff that way.

With that said the android platform has advantages over iOS in some areas. I'd say that the android has innovation that iOS hasn't. I saw how Samsung has the ability to display a youtube window running while you swap to another screen.

iOS just works, yes but I'd like some new features as I see what WP8 and Android are doing - lets hope apple does not sit on their laurels.

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
The number one reason for me to stick with the iOS platform is the apple ecosystem. I use iCloud, for many things, emails, documents, calendar etc. I don't use google's products either so if I were to go back to android I'd need solutions to sync my stuff that way.

There are apps to accomplish this but imo opinion it is better to just switch over to google services since they are cross platform and you can switch to almost any phone on a whim and have everything available.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
haha thanks for the replies. Some were very useful. And now the thread has kind of devolved into a fanboy contest. I've gleaned some good info -- enough to think it's probably worth it for me to just buy one and try it out for myself. I think I'll get one at Best Buy so I have 30 days to try it plus no restocking fee if I return.

Thanks again for all replies.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Then I don't know what to tell you, I have yet to have an app crash on my iPhone but with my S3 they were Always closing and lagging. What is 2gb of ram for if it can't manage memory properly.

----------

I know the iphone has an HD front camera. I am not sure about the S3.

I find this very difficult to believe. Goto diag and usage and take a screen shot above lowbatterylog. Like this.

apepyhat.jpg

Notice springboard is on there so the entire phone crashed.

As far as low memory and memory management.

amavaqy2.jpg

That only occurs doing a crisis. Not just when the phone needs to kill a background app to support a foreground app. I use tapatalk and on a daily basis it will reload from the beginning if I don't use it enough. I don't consider that a problem however.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
1. iphone 5 much more reliable and smooth than any android phone out there
2. iphone 5 much more reliable and smooth than any android phone out there
3. iphone 5 much more reliable and smooth than any android phone out there

if you need a phone that work every time you need it to work, its a clear choice

Lol look at my previous post. Here is more personal experience.

Resetcounter is a manual reset. I do that when things slow down. Power + home, apple made it just for that issue.

my2a7yty.jpg

What's that? Made 13 days or so...

Android

y7a8ytu2.jpg

That's about 49 1/2 days. Your "clear choice" is missing.....facts and proof.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Former Apple fangirl here.

Owner of SSGS3 now.

Firstly to the OP question:

Top 3 things I love/miss about iPhone:

1) Customer support. No company compares when it comes to mobile phones.
2) OS updates reach every phone when it is released.
3) Hardware is just more sexy.

Top reasons I switched (3):
1) stagnant OS. Android offered something different and is constantly improving.
2) wanted a visual change from the same row of icons
3) I wanted a bigger screen than the puny 4" screen Apple is offering.

Top 3 things I love/like about my S3:

1) Customization. Quite simply I love being able to manipulate how my phone looks on screen.
2) Much larger screen. I call BS on the iP5 screen being perfect for everyone.
3) I am constantly discovering new things to do with my phone that I never knew I could. This makes me happy.

Top 3 things I don't like about my S3:

1) The screen is just a bit TOO large for my liking. I would have loved a 4.5" screen. However just today when I used it for a GPS it was nice to not only have maps that won't send me into the pekkerbrush but also is easy to see.
2) Update timings blow. But I knew that going in. Still annoying though.
3) Not having access to all of the apps I knew and loved on iOS, due to the different screen size. Yes fragmentation does exist but it IS getting better.

My biggest concerns getting an Android phone was that the phone might not be as reliable as the iPhone for no crashes, hitches or freezes. I can honestly tell you that so far since this summer, I have had no issues with the device and it works very quickly and reliably.

It really did take me at least 4 months to warm up to the S3 compared to the iPhone, but it really is a more powerful device in the things that I can do with it compared to the iPhone and the ease of file manipulation is very nice as well as the ease of setting up different ringtones and notifications etc. I also am addicted to the back button and the notifications and notification lights.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

With that said the android platform has advantages over iOS in some areas. I'd say that the android has innovation that iOS hasn't. I saw how Samsung has the ability to display a youtube window running while you swap to another screen.

iOS just works, yes but I'd like some new features as I see what WP8 and Android are doing - lets hope apple does not sit on their laurels.

iCloud ~ Google

Only difference between these two is that I can use any platform and have access to my calendar, music, books, email, documents, etc and regardless of whichever system I am using, changes auto sync in real time. One works well with any device, while the other is severely limited. Not to mention the lack of iCloud collaboration with other people on other platforms. To me, iCloud should be shifted to be multi-platform, instead of Apple-centric.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
If that's the case, I don't see why iPhone has continued to see such good sales. And usability is a subjective term as well. Can you explain why it doesn't seem usable?:confused:

I have average sized hands, and using the touch keyboard is absolutely brutal. Good luck typing a coherent sentence with it.

The iphone is a fashion statement; usability is secondary.

You can't plausibly compare the samsung 4.8" 720p screen to a 3.5" or 4" screen and claim that the apple screen is easy to use. That's just a silly claim.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I gave Android a good honest try and got burned.

My android phone had a lot of issues. Keyboard input lagged. Screen brightness would go to brightest or darkest (with auto brightness setting off). Icons would disappear. Apps would crash daily. Having the virus scans everytime I rebooted or reinserted the SD card was very annoying. And I would restart multiple times a day to troubleshoot issues. I paid $7 for Modern Combat 3 and the framerate was so bad it was unplayable. Phone would freeze randomly. Screen scrolling was janky. I reset the phone several times. I updated the firmware to the latest. I never rooted it. But it was still unreliable.

But the technical issues werent actually the dealbreaker. It was all my favorite apps on iOS that I found were not on Android. And even worse, apps that I found did not even have something comparable on Android. I was disappointed Amplitube wasn't on Android, but was even more disappointed that Android doesnt have a single app that lets you plug in a guitar and use amp modeling and effects. This also happened when I tried to find an app like Garage Band, iTunes U, and iMovie. As well as countless games. I missed Street Fighter Volt the most.

And I just prefer iOS. It's more elegant, and intuitive. Whatever given task you need to do takes fewer steps to complete with iOS. You can get things done faster with fewer hassles in my experience.

And I never used Widgets. Having info from them was not worth the cost of CPU, RAM, and Battery life usage.

As far as customizations, I can use Cydia for any extra tweeks. With iCloud support games, now I can play Vice City on my iPod Touch when I am away from home, and continue where I left off when I get back home and I use my iPad. Same thing with taking notes and photos, and text conversations.

One thing I definitely do miss is SWYPE. And Google Maps, but it's coming back to iOS, so thats soon to be a non issue.

So I sold my Samsung on Craigslist. Cancelled my T-Mobile plan, and went back to using a dumbphone (on a family plan with 5 others that made it almost free) plus a 5th gen iPod Touch, and i'm much happier.

People argue a lot about which platform is best. But the fact is, everyone has different wants and needs. Everyone should give both a try, and stay with the one they liked the most. I know I did.

Last edited:

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I gave Android a good honest try and got burned.

My android phone had a lot of issues. Keyboard input lagged. Screen brightness would go to brightest or darkest (with auto brightness setting off). Icons would disappear. Apps would crash daily.

And I just prefer iOS. It's more elegant, and intuitive. Whatever given task you need to do takes fewer steps to complete with iOS. You can get things done faster with fewer hassles in my experience.

You never say what Android phone you had. Not all are created equal. Had you had a decent Android device, you might have felt different...at least on that part. The ecosystem you are right about. Apple had quite the head start on that. But I am scratching my head on the part about fewer steps being needed. That hasn't been my experience at all. Delving into the setting menu to turn bluetooth on or off or change the screen brightness is a lot more cumbersome than using a widget or even better just pulling down the notification shade and changing the settings from there. Now THAT'S elegant! And faster too!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have noticed a few people that mentioned the eco-system is replaceable. IMO, those people are not actually invested into the apple eco system. First of all, I use all airport devices that aside from a computer, can only be controlled by IOS (no android alternative). Secondly, the phillips hue lighting system on IOS is leaps and bounds better on IOS. Next, appleTV and using an iphone as a remote....talk about a pain finding an app to control that on android (still have not found one). Lastly, shared photo streams, facetime, itunes, etc.

For people like me, who are heavily invested in the apple eco-system, it simply is a compromise using anything else. If you just are talking about icloud with contacts and photos....sure it is an easy swap, but I would not consider those people in the apple eco-system.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You never say what Android phone you had. Not all are created equal. Had you had a decent Android device, you might have felt different...at least on that part. The ecosystem you are right about. Apple had quite the head start on that. But I am scratching my head on the part about fewer steps being needed. That hasn't been my experience at all. Delving into the setting menu to turn bluetooth on or off or change the screen brightness is a lot more cumbersome than using a widget or even better just pulling down the notification shade and changing the settings from there. Now THAT'S elegant! And faster too!

I agree with your assessment on Android requiring fewer steps. I've gotten so fast at doing things on iOS its not a huge issue but when I use my Nexus 10 its just so much easier to do trivial task. The setting menu in iOS is just a mess in my opinion a lot of things are redundant too, like settings > iCloud or settings > general > usage > iCloud. And they are slightly different too, one you can turn iCloud on and off the other you can't. Can't remember which is which.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.