Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:48 AM   #26
SunnyRenegade33
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyRenegade33
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Right because the original iPhone had less bells and whistles than all the other smartphones at the time.

Yeah that Nokia N95 was sporting a capacitive touch screen and full mobile browser, yet the iphone came along with a more simplified WAP browser
Nothing was added to the original iPhone that didn't need to be. In fact, other than a couple tweaks here and there with the design - nothing has been added on to it at all. Adding a two screened smartphone is over-kill. You really ought to look into Jony Ive's approach towards simplicity and his method of integrating into his product designs to develop a better understanding of Apple's philosophy towards intuitive industrial design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6ULOT9Q4M
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:01 AM   #27
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyRenegade33 View Post
Nothing was added to the original iPhone that didn't need to be. In fact, other than a couple tweaks here and there with the design - nothing has been added on to it at all. Adding a two screened smartphone is over-kill. You really ought to look into Jony Ive's approach towards simplicity and his method of integrating into his product designs to develop a better understanding of Apple's philosophy towards intuitive industrial design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6ULOT9Q4M
Thanks. I understand Apple's minimalist and common sense/intuitive design philosophies and their tendencies to include technologies that they view as useful, while leaving others out. I was just pointing out that "more bells and whistles" and useful/functional design are not mutually exclusive as your post seemed to apply.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:25 AM   #28
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a

I remember that on the old flip phones was kinda cool at the time, would be a waste on a bar form factor though.
IFRIT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:33 AM   #29
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Right because the original iPhone had less bells and whistles than all the other smartphones at the time.
Ironically, it did come with less than other smartphones of the time. No MMS, no videocam, no GPS, no 3G, no third party apps.

(Like others, I was using a WinMo touch phone at the time with Google Maps, tap-to-zoom Picsel browser, Slingplayer for remote TV viewing, etc.)

But that's a different discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I think it is horrible idea. It increases the cost, size and chance of breaking something while decreasing the battery life. I'll pass.
Of course, most of those happened with the slim iPhone 4 glass back as well. (Cost more, took up battery space; more breakable.) Didn't stop buyers

An e-Ink second screen would actually increase battery life for a lot of users.

Sorry. Just being the devil's advocate today.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 PM   #30
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

This would give me twice the chance to shatter my screen when I bump into the corner of my desk.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:11 PM   #31
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

As luck would have it, a Russian company called Yota plans to bring out a dual screen phone next year:

Color on one side, e-Ink on the other, just as we talked about here.

WSJ article on dual screen phone

kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:24 PM   #32
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubDownforce View Post

Die.

I had that phone. In the same color. It was BOSS.
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:49 PM   #33
Steevie
Banned

seems like this back screen is getting more and more traction? There was that case that had a back e-ink screen and now the yota one with the built in e-ink screen. hmmm i wonder how practical this is?? Would you use the e-ink just for reading?
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:00 PM   #34
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevie View Post
seems like this back screen is getting more and more traction? There was that case that had a back e-ink screen and now the yota one with the built in e-ink screen. hmmm i wonder how practical this is?? Would you use the e-ink just for reading?
It would be used for notifications when the phone is in standby, boarding passes, coupons, news reading, etc. It would be there always without draining the battery to power a regular screen. The book reading thing for it would be huge because reading on light emitting screens for prolonged periods really sucks due to eye strain and glare from sunlight. I really hope the Galaxy Note 3 will have an e-ink screen on the back. Surprise me, Samsung!
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone