Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Warranty Status

Before someone starts lecturing me about the status of my warranty, let me show you a picture. Im going install a 3770 i have laying around so i had to remove the cpu.

DSCF5719.jpg

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Very impressive and thorough job you did with this teardown. You should give a difficulty score to the project of replacing both the SSD and the blade, (e.g. 7 out of 10) so that people will know whether or not they should consider attempting it.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
You have to use Apple's blade style SSD.

If you just replaced the 3.5" drive with an SSD, could you set that to boot and use the built in blade style SSD for storage or something else without having to remain in Fusion format?

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Before someone starts lecturing me about the status of my warranty, let me show you a picture. Im going install a 3770 i have laying around so i had to remove the cpu.

You are going to replace the CPU as well? You're a madman, R.OG. :D

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006

Wasn't lecturing you about anything. Figured you knew what you were doing. Simply commenting that anyone thinking about custom mounting the machine should be fully aware that Apple probably won't touch it afterwards.

I'd be curious how your upgraded CPU functions; wonder if Apple has custom tags in the kernel that might be an issue.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Sure there is, couple screws hold the whole mount. Then either have a custom part machined, or drill holes in the back to hold the mount once the stand is off. Either way, I think you will void your warranty. Someone will probably make an insert, but like I said, you'd be looking at removing everything to get to the inside of the mount.

Edit: R.OG was faster. :) Thanks for the pictures, by the way.

Thanks both. Sure, then you can say that anything is VESA mount compatible :)

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Wasn't lecturing you about anything. Figured you knew what you were doing. Simply commenting that anyone thinking about custom mounting the machine should be fully aware that Apple probably won't touch it afterwards.

I'd be curious how your upgraded CPU functions; wonder if Apple has custom tags in the kernel that might be an issue.

I wasn't referring to your post. I was just getting ready for other members who are going to call me stupid for voiding my warranty.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
If you just replaced the 3.5" drive with an SSD, could you set that to boot and use the built in blade style SSD for storage or something else without having to remain in Fusion format?

You should be able to use the drives however you want. Fusion is really just software at the end of the day. Without the special Fusion enabled version of Disk Utility you will just see two different drives. And, if I recall correctly, you can create your own Fusion drive by using the Terminal.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I just can't wait till late Jan for the 27" i ordered to arrive. I sold my 2011 and MAC PRO two months ago.

So you ordered a BTO 27" iMac from Apple, but then, seeing that it would not be delivered until next year went out to Best Buy, bought a base configuration iMac, brought it home and made a FrankenMac to hold you over until the next one arrives?

Nice. :D

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks both. Sure, then you can say that anything is VESA mount compatible :)

Let me get my drill, I bet I can VESA mount my MacBook.... Do you think the screws sticking out of the screen will be a distraction? :eek: :D

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks like the base 27" has a socket for the blade SSDs.

----------

The logic board only has one regular SATA data connector.

Looking at the distance from the blade to the screw, I wonder if the current OWC blade will work that is from one of the other MBA or MB laptops. R.OG you are a gutsy man, thanks for doing this! I would love to have my ssd installed inside my new imac, but I am not sure I am confortable with opening it up as of yet.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Let me get my drill, I bet I can VESA mount my MacBook.... Do you think the screws sticking out of the screen will be a distraction? :eek: :D

Open the lid first so that the screws only come through the keyboard. Problem solved!

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
So you ordered a BTO 27" iMac from Apple, but then, seeing that it would not be delivered until next year went out to Best Buy, bought a base configuration iMac, brought it home and made a FrankenMac to hold you over until the next one arrives?

Nice. :D

I going to use it till the next mac pro is released.

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Looking at the distance from the blade to the screw, I wonder if the current OWC blade will work that is from one of the other MBA or MB laptops. R.OG you are a gutsy man, thanks for doing this! I would love to have my ssd installed inside my new imac, but I am not sure I am confortable with opening it up as of yet.

Haha, I know exactly how you feel.

I'm just a bit reserved on the whole 'adhesive tape' think and with voiding warranty - everyone says something different about how the warranty owould be voided.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I going to use it till the next mac pro is released.

That makes a lot more sense.

I was going to wait until the next Mac Pro myself, but I wasn't sure when it was coming out and I'm already back-logged with projects. ...and then there is the subject of the money: I have no idea how much Apple is expecting the charge for the new Mac Pro, but I'm guessing it will be a high figure.

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
The stand is mounted from the inside. No more VESA mount for the new 27"

To install the old mount, you inserted a credit card into the slot above the foot to disengage the foot, then a bracket snapped into its place. There was no need to open the computer. Taking that foot off and getting it back on that way was a pain BTW.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Open the lid first so that the screws only come through the keyboard. Problem solved!

I was joking that I would drill right through the LCD! :D Though, you could take the bottom panel off, and drill it that way. Not sure if there is enough clearance between that panel and the innards. Might not get it back on without damaging the battery or shorting the logic board.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Thanks for the pictures and descriptions R.OG! :)

I assume from the use of the IcyDock that the disk SATA port is physically on the motherboard and the disk simply plugs in without the use of a SATA cable of any kind?

Hopefully the disk drive port will be on non-hard disk models as well as I want to add an additional SSD drive in that location.

Thanks!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Haha, I know exactly how you feel.

I'm just a bit reserved on the whole 'adhesive tape' think and with voiding warranty - everyone says something different about how the warranty owould be voided.

Apple is pretty clear.

There is only one user-serviceable component on the 27" iMac - the RAM
If you open it up and damage it - you've have voided the warranty.
If you open it up and replace any of the components that are not user-serviceable - you have voided the warranty.

This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

Please note that I am not being a nanny or criticising ROG - just stating facts. I think what he's doing is pretty awesome.

----------

I was joking that I would drill right through the LCD! :D Though, you could take the bottom panel off, and drill it that way. Not sure if there is enough clearance between that panel and the innards. Might not get it back on without damaging the battery or shorting the logic board.

I've taken the cover off my MBP to replace the hard drive and memory a couple of times. There is no space in there for a screw that I would trust to hold it to a wall. The Mini would work though...

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
To install the old mount, you inserted a credit card into the slot above the foot to disengage the foot, then a bracket snapped into its place. There was no need to open the computer. Taking that foot off and getting it back on that way was a pain BTW.

The card method will not work, the screws are located inside the housing.

photo.jpg

----------

Thanks for the pictures and descriptions R.OG! :)

I assume from the use of the IcyDock that the disk SATA port is physically on the motherboard and the disk simply plugs in without the use of a SATA cable of any kind?

Hopefully the disk drive port will be on non-hard disk models as well as I want to add an additional SSD drive in that location.

Thanks!

The logic board has a normal sata data connector and a custom power connector.
photo-1.jpg

image.jpg

----------

Please note that I am not being a nanny or criticising ROG - just stating facts. I think what he's doing is pretty awesome.

No worries, anytime i open up an apple product i'm prepared to void my warranty.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.