Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:00 AM   #26
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrickettGrrrl View Post
I quite like the black user interface--it just seems to get out of the way, very clean and uncluttered. It was a little abrupt using it the first time, coming from an older version PS with the light grey UI, but even PS has moved to a darker interface now.
It is probably nice enough - The problem is I can't tell the difference at all, when working. When am I clicking the image, when am I clicking the window frame, and when is I clicking a button? It is just *black* everywhere. I have a 27" iMac, and I always turn down the light so my eyes don't hurt, so it is REALLY a problem.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:06 AM   #27
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I can use Ps efficiently but I can't understand Pixelmator. I do however like the fact that they talk unlike Adobe and Apple.
^ This. I have Pixelmator v1 from a bundle purchase and I just didn't continue to use it only because I am so used to PS. However, this is really how companies should act.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:34 AM   #28
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
It is probably nice enough - The problem is I can't tell the difference at all, when working. When am I clicking the image, when am I clicking the window frame, and when is I clicking a button? It is just *black* everywhere. I have a 27" iMac, and I always turn down the light so my eyes don't hurt, so it is REALLY a problem.
? Do you have a black wallpaper too? I don't understand how it can all be so low contrast. Perhaps you could share a screenshot. I have the brightness turned down on my iMac (not ALL the way though) and a mid-value wallpaper. I can clearly see the window borders, palettes, etc.

(Don't judge, just roughed some things out...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-12-07 at 11.28.04 AM.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	382131  
CrickettGrrrl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:41 AM   #29
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
^ This. I have Pixelmator v1 from a bundle purchase and I just didn't continue to use it only because I am so used to PS. However, this is really how companies should act.
It was fits & starts for me in the beginning until I started doing Pixelmator tutorials from various sites, because I was used to Photoshop too. I don't have a problem going between the two anymore, although Photoshop looks a bit weird now.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:40 AM   #30
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
It turns out, the newest Nvidia Geforce graphics card drivers in OS X 10.8.2 are causing the issue, and Pixelmator is working with Apple to resolve the issue.
Whew. Good to know they've found the root cause.

It's a really nasty bug: no warning, instant black screen followed by reboot.
Happened 3 times yesterday. Major pain.

Still, I'll never go back to that hideous Adobe bloatware.
SockRolid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:35 PM   #31
TennisandMusic

Pixelmator is such a steaming pile. I tried to use it as as advertised, the hipper, faster Photoshop replacement.

Not only is it not even close to Photoshop, it just doesn't work properly on so many basic tasks that it's silly. On top of that, the guys that run it have completed aped Apple's marketing style (over the top secrecy and silence).

I don't understand why people use it. It is incredibly poor. I really think it appeals to people who think they are clever for not wanting to use Adobe, but PS CS6 stomps all over Pixelmator. It's just an embarrassing thing at this point.
TennisandMusic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:03 PM   #32
marc11
macrumors 68000

marc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthewraith View Post
I remember that particular bug. AFAIK it was more related to switching between the integrated and discrete graphics. It is solved by a logic board replacement. However, for me, it was never the dedicated card that caused the crashing, it was the integrated.
Oh really, I thought it was the discrete for some reason.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:07 PM   #33
benthewraith
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to benthewraith Send a message via MSN to benthewraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Oh really, I thought it was the discrete for some reason.
I think more people had issues with the discrete rather than integrated. For me if I used gfxcardstatus and switched a few times to the integrated, it would eventually cause a black screen when waking from sleep (believe 3 times). I know that when I forced the discrete GPU and never switched I never had an issue.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:35 PM   #34
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRito View Post
Pixelmator UI is simple and slick... plenty of horsepower to handle major editing too.
Agreed. Pixelmator is also much faster than Photoshop.

I wish Photoshop's gradient tool worked like Pixelmators.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:42 AM   #35
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrickettGrrrl View Post
? Do you have a black wallpaper too? I don't understand how it can all be so low contrast. Perhaps you could share a screenshot. I have the brightness turned down on my iMac (not ALL the way though) and a mid-value wallpaper. I can clearly see the window borders, palettes, etc.

(Don't judge, just roughed some things out...)
Just look at the opacity slider in your screenshot. I almost can't make it out at all, so I wouldn't know when it was at 0% or 100%.

Also, take a new window and give it a black background (Which I use quite often). You can't see where the picture ends and the toolbar starts. Then do multiple windows and let them overlap. --> Instant chaos.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:27 AM   #36
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillsbury View Post
How could they tell the difference between the drivers crashing and Pixelmator just crashing randomly all the time?
By looking at files, debugging on their systems and seeing that certain crashes only manifested on these NVIDIA cards, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Not only is it not even close to Photoshop
And not even on price is is close to Photoshop!
Pixelmator costs 15$, while Photoshop costs 500$ (plus taxes).

Quote:
PS CS6 stomps all over Pixelmator
What were expecting when comparing a 15$ app to a 500$ app?

Quote:
I don't understand why people use it
Don't make a fool of yourself

Pixelmator may have fewer bells and whistles compared to Photoshop - but it's a solid graphics editing app that's priced competitively. For many it'll do (almost) anything they want it to do - at a small fraction of Photshop's price.
AppliedMicro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:31 AM   #37
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I can use Ps efficiently but I can't understand Pixelmator. I do however like the fact that they talk unlike Adobe and Apple.
Adobe talks. Their engineers respond on their forums and maintain blogs. They may be a pain in the ass at times, but there's no reason to compare them to Apple's levels of silence.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:32 AM   #38
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Adobe talks. Their engineers respond on their forums and maintain blogs. They may be a pain in the ass at times, but there's no reason to compare them to Apple's levels of silence.
You're right they talk more than Apple, but that in itself doesn't say much
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:17 PM   #39
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
Just look at the opacity slider in your screenshot. I almost can't make it out at all, so I wouldn't know when it was at 0% or 100%.

Also, take a new window and give it a black background (Which I use quite often). You can't see where the picture ends and the toolbar starts. Then do multiple windows and let them overlap. --> Instant chaos.
I don't have difficulty viewing things like the opacity slider, for one thing the indicator dot is greyish with white highlights and it states 100% in white to the right, --pretty contrasty. Yes, I can see you might have a bit of difficulty with the window if the interior is black, although there is still a difference on my screen between the two. The tool bar at the top is not black black, it's a little lighter. If you're running an older version of PS then yes, you'll have the contrast you want, not so much with CS6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-12-09 at 1.13.23 PM.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	382500  
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:16 AM   #40
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedMicro View Post
By looking at files, debugging on their systems and seeing that certain crashes only manifested on these NVIDIA cards, I'd say.

And not even on price is is close to Photoshop!
Pixelmator costs 15$, while Photoshop costs 500$ (plus taxes).

What were expecting when comparing a 15$ app to a 500$ app?

Don't make a fool of yourself

Pixelmator may have fewer bells and whistles compared to Photoshop - but it's a solid graphics editing app that's priced competitively. For many it'll do (almost) anything they want it to do - at a small fraction of Photshop's price.
So is GIMP and in many ways it's easier to use.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:24 PM   #41
ConCat
Banned

Does Apple bother debugging graphics drivers or no? I notice no problems with any other drivers...
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:33 PM   #42
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Updated to 2.1.4. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25879/pixelmator

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion