Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
speekez
macrumors 6502

Unopened new Ipad through airport security?

Hi all

Ok....

I have a yet-to-be ipad 4 still plastic wrapped in the box that I am taking with me on holiday. If I take this through airport security, do you suspect they'll make me remove the clear plastic and open box the unit, or most likely they will just let it go through seeing it is gift season?

Thoughts?
speekez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

I would think they let it go through. They don't even make you take an iPad out of your luggage for inspection the way they do a laptop. I don't see why the cardboard packaging would be any harder to scan through than a briefcase / computer bag...
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3
maflynn

I think the odds are pretty good that they'll want to see the iPad and thus have you open the box.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panch0 View Post
I would think they let it go through. They don't even make you take an iPad out of your luggage for inspection the way they do a laptop. I don't see why the cardboard packaging would be any harder to scan through than a briefcase / computer bag...
I think the difference there is that the iPad is not in the box.

I've been in the airport a number of times and I've always needed to pull out my iPad, MBP and cameras for the TSA, so I see no difference in doing that for an iPad in a box
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:54 PM   #4
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by speekez View Post
Hi all

Ok....

I have a yet-to-be ipad 4 still plastic wrapped in the box that I am taking with me on holiday. If I take this through airport security, do you suspect they'll make me remove the clear plastic and open box the unit, or most likely they will just let it go through seeing it is gift season?

Thoughts?
Always have your iPad in sight of you when near someone from the TSA because alot of them will steal it. No joking.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Nothlit
macrumors regular

I don't think you can be certain one way or the other. Since TSA does not typically require iPads to be removed from bags for screening, chances are that you could probably just leave it in the box inside your suitcase and it will pass right through without a word. On the x-ray screen, they probably can't even tell whether the box is shrinkwrapped or not. But in any case, you should be prepared to open the box if asked.
Nothlit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:21 PM   #6
speekez
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input. I think I'll remove the shrinkwrap at home before we go to the airport tonight, seeing as how I'll be doing that anyway in a few days. I'd rather remove it at home rather than trying to it during the bustle of security. I'm traveling for the first time with our 6 month old, too, so I'll have enough to worry about

Per the link Nothlit posted, I'll leave the ipad in the box in my bag, and remove it if asked.

And good point bout watching for theft. Got a 5d mark III in the bag, too. My eyes will be on that bag. Maybe even our baby, too. haha
speekez is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:03 PM   #7
speekez
macrumors 6502

In case anyone is interested... I never removed the iPad box from my back pack, so I imagine I could have kept the shrink wrap on the box should I wanted to.
speekez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:26 PM   #8
outie2k
macrumors regular

They will not make you unwrap them. I brought 2 sealed iPads overseas before and had no issue. The did make us take them out of the backpack and rescan because they were stacked in the bag and they couldn't scan them.
outie2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:54 AM   #9
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

They should not need to remove it unless the X-ray operator calls for a baggage inspection, and that person explicitly asks to have it opened. To avoid this from occurring, try not to place any other electronic or highly dense (lumps of clay) items above or below it. They are expected to call for baggage inspection when they cannot decipher the contents as something not potentially dangerous. I assure you that they have seen many iPads in bags with the charger on top, so there really isn't anything too confusing about a boxed ipad. Again it's more about the surrounding clutter that may cause doubt.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:35 AM   #10
mcdj
Banned

All you experts are talking out of your... There is no "they will" or "they won't". There is only "they might" or they might not". It depends on who is manning the line, what airport, etc. It's purely luck of the draw.

I have yet to be asked to take my iPad out of the case or even out of the bag I carried it in. Heck I've flown on a flight with a pocket knife I forgot to leave at home.
mcdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:00 AM   #11
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I think the odds are pretty good that they'll want to see the iPad and thus have you open the box.

----------

I think the difference there is that the iPad is not in the box.

I've been in the airport a number of times and I've always needed to pull out my iPad, MBP and cameras for the TSA, so I see no difference in doing that for an iPad in a box
The MBA doesn't even need to be pulled out of your bag due to how thin it is, I see no difference with an iPad. I never pull mine out.

OP, just call the airport you're going through.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:47 AM   #12
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
The MBA doesn't even need to be pulled out of your bag due to how thin it is, I see no difference with an iPad. I never pull mine out.

OP, just call the airport you're going through.
It depends who is working the line. I got to take out my 11in MBA. Not gonna argue since I like having my freedom. Plus I'm brown skin
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:59 AM   #13
snberk103
macrumors 603

The OP has had their question resolved by the TSA themselves... However, for anyone in the future who is reading this thread, just keep in mind that policies can change - overnight. That different airports will have different procedures. That for any reason at all you may be asked to show your device to a screener. Or not.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad