Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I'm always grateful for an update, but I really want to be able to send audio from movies directly to my airport express from the Apple TV wirelessly. Would the hardware even allow it?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I'm always grateful for an update, but I really want to be able to send audio from movies directly to my airport express from the Apple TV wirelessly. Would the hardware even allow it?

Well the iPhone can do it, and the AppleTV uses the same hardware.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The app itself is nice, but it's a pretty lousy experience because of the dance you have to do every single time you want to use it:

- Press the home button
- Slide to unlock
- Swipe to find the app, or double click the home button to switch back to the app
- Wait for the app to reconnect to the Bonjour network and find the Apple TV
- Start the process all over, because your iOS device will have gone to sleep by the time you need to use it again

Try using it instead of the remote when you're not the only person in the room watching and things really get frustrating. "Wait what? You want me to rewind? Hold on a second! What? Hold on!"

The BT keyboard will be instantly available. Normally I credit keyboards as the reason for the failure of similar devices (Logitech Google TV, WebTV) - but in the Apple TVs case, they've created such an elegant interface that works so well with a simple remote, that they have an opportunity to add keyboard support in an unobtrusive way.

True. Wasn't thinking about restarting after phone goes to sleep. It is a PIA.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK

I'm pretty sure there is already an AirPlay speakers option on the Apple TV. Is that what you mean?

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure there is already an AirPlay speakers option on the Apple TV. Is that what you mean?

That's what I'm talking about, but it's limited and works for music only and only if you have your iTunes running on a home share.

A lot of us were let down by it due to how it looked in the advertising vs our own practical reality.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple TV *developer*? Huh?

What use is a developer program for Apple TV? It seems to me that that sort of thing would be useful if either the Apple TV had a browser (which so far as I know, it does not), or if there were plans for an "app" store (or a Roku-like channel store) for it - which has been oft rumored, but never more than that.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Agree, it also helps when Apple TV has better wifi coverage than your other iOS device.

This

Every time there is new iOS, iTunes, and Appltv updates, it brings along some bugs that are soon worked out.

But right now I know many people that would love audio via A2DP Bluetooth, direct rather than AirTunes going thru their routers and base stations.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Only Apple could add something (it should have done in the first place!) so simple and make followers go week at their knees ... Ridiculous!

Had this have been another brand it would have been slated; with Apple the addition is hailed as a market leading wonder!

Seems to me it's being met with 'its about time', not being hailed as a 'market leading wonder'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.