Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I hate Samsung, but the S3 is selling extraordinarily well for an Android flagship. I think most people genuinely want a bigger screen.

You can use that same reasoning for the iPhone. The iPhone is selling much better then the S3 so that means most people prefer a 4" screen.

In reality it's based on personal preference. People have options which is what is great about competition. Those that like the large screens can go with android those who prefer a 4" screen can go with the iPhone.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I just went back to my iPhone 4S after using my Note 2 as my main phone for about 2 weeks.

Don't really miss the 5.5" screen of the Note 2. I prefer the portability and one hand usability of the iPhone 4S.

Then again, I downsize from a 15" macbook to a 13" macbook and from a 9.7" iPad to a 7.9".

I'm loving the smaller size for portability.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
You can use that same reasoning for the iPhone. The iPhone is selling much better then the S3 so that means most people prefer a 4" screen.

In reality it's based on personal preference. People have options which is what is great about competition. Those that like the large screens can go with android those who prefer a 4" screen can go with the iPhone.

I believe this is the first time in history that a sole Android phone has ever matched the pace of the iPhone in sales, which should tell you something. Unless there's a massive boycott of larger screens, I think it's a safe bet that Apple will, again, increase the screen size. They said 3.5" was perfect, and they eventually caved.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Fell for marketing? Obviously if your hands are smaller than average they wont be able to use the iP5 with ease with only one hand. Im 6' 160lbs and can easily reach all edges of the screen as i could also do with my old Galaxy Nexus.

Its hard to take any point you make seriously when your reason for choosing iOS devices or Anrdoid devices is because "android sucks balls"

Like previously mentioned, companies dont custom make products because a few people ABSOLUTELY CANT STAND a feature that works great for the majority of users.

Text is too small and hurts my eyes - you can zoom in (unless you also are mad apple didnt include an auto zoom feature that matches your exact specifications)
Full sites are small? No ****. full sites are made for full size monitors :confused:

I dont understand how people can complain about things like this when there are plenty of options to correct these issues.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I just went back to my iPhone 4S after using my Note 2 as my main phone for about 2 weeks.

Don't really miss the 5.5" screen of the Note 2. I prefer the portability and one hand usability of the iPhone 4S.

Then again, I downsize from a 15" macbook to a 13" macbook and from a 9.7" iPad to a 7.9".

I'm loving the smaller size for portability.

Yeah, can relate to you because I also prefer portability over specs. After all, it's meant to be a mobile phone that you can carry and bring about easier, and the iPhone small and thin design means it suits that.

Most of the time, Samsung just likes to impress with giant screens and awesome specs.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple is far, far, ahead of the game in terms of the best form factor. Now Samsung needs to release a reasonably sized flagship phone. It's fine if they want to release gargantuan things, but their flagship should be a ~4" device, with options for larger ones.

I agree that Apple has a great form factor. But gargantuan? Hardly.

Here are five of AT&T's popular smartphones to compare.

Lumia 920 - 4.5" display
5.13 x 2.79 x 0.42 in.

Windows Phone 8X HTC - 4.5"
5.21 x 2.61 x 0.39 in.

HTC One X - 4.7"
5.30 x 2.75 x 0.36 in.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - 4.8"
5.38 x 2.78 x 0.34 in.

Motorola RAZR HD - 4.7"
5.19 x 2.67 x 0.33 in.

Apple iPhone 5 - 4.0"
4.87 x 2.31 x 0.30 in.

These are all within a reasonable size to be handheld.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Fell for marketing? Obviously if your hands are smaller than average they wont be able to use the iP5 with ease with only one hand. Im 6' 160lbs and can easily reach all edges of the screen as i could also do with my old Galaxy Nexus.

Its hard to take any point you make seriously when your reason for choosing iOS devices or Anrdoid devices is because "android sucks balls"

Like previously mentioned, companies dont custom make products because a few people ABSOLUTELY CANT STAND a feature that works great for the majority of users.

Text is too small and hurts my eyes - you can zoom in (unless you also are mad apple didnt include an auto zoom feature that matches your exact specifications)
Full sites are small? No ****. full sites are made for full size monitors :confused:

I dont understand how people can complain about things like this when there are plenty of options to correct these issues.

Android is just not in the same league with iOS.. What else can I say?

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I hate Samsung, but the S3 is selling extraordinarily well for an Android flagship. I think most people genuinely want a bigger screen.

I don't think so. I think people who either don't want Apple, or want Android are forced into buying ridiculously large phones.

I agree that Apple has a great form factor. But gargantuan? Hardly.

Here are five of AT&T's popular smartphones to compare.

Lumia 920 - 4.5" display
5.13 x 2.79 x 0.42 in.

Windows Phone 8X HTC - 4.5"
5.21 x 2.61 x 0.39 in.

HTC One X - 4.7"
5.30 x 2.75 x 0.36 in.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - 4.8"
5.38 x 2.78 x 0.34 in.

Motorola RAZR HD - 4.7"
5.19 x 2.67 x 0.33 in.

Apple iPhone 5 - 4.0"
4.87 x 2.31 x 0.30 in.

These are all within a reasonable size to be handheld.

No, they are not all reasonable. Look at the width, that's the key. That half an inch is HUGE based on the anatomy of human hands.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't think so. I think people who either don't want Apple, or want Android are forced into buying ridiculously large phones.

No, they are not all reasonable. Look at the width, that's the key. That half an inch is HUGE based on the anatomy of human hands.

Motorola Razr M.

4.82 x 2.39 x .33 w/ a 4.3" screen.

Don't expect Samsung to go back in time and release a 4" screen device when the form factor can have a bigger screen.

Soon we'll be hearing about how the iPhone has the perfect amount of bezel.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Your problem. Some people, like myself, actually prefer the current width. And I will honestly not upgrade to the next iPhone if they make it any bigger. If you don't like the design, yet you bought it shockingly enough, it's your fault. Not everyone is unhappy.

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
I hope Apple smartens up. Their stock price is down from 700 to 500. There is lukewarm reception for the iPhone 5 in China. Meanwhile the Galaxy Note 2 is a best seller along with the S3

Clearly people want a larger screen Apple was basically like let them eat cake. Even though the latest best selling state of the art smart phones have 4.5+ size displays, Apple just tossed out a longer 4s

I have medium sized hands and either phone is can be used one hand. what a bunch of Apple marketing hype about the 1 hand 4" phone BS. Yet this horse crap that's taken as gospel

Bottom line, I hate to have to go to android to get a sufficiently large screen because the iphone integrates nicely with my Macs and iPad. But the 5 imo falls well behind the S3 and note in web based functionality. Sure as a phone, camera, and texting platform they're all equally good. But that wider screen is a huge improvement for browsing and other web based activities.

Unbelievable, Apple invented the smart phone category and now they are playing catch-up to android.

Look for the iPhone 5 HD in the spring with a 4.5+ screen. Apple needs to get it's mojo going again/ The consumer has spoken and bigger is def better.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I hope Apple smartens up. Their stock price is down from 700 to 500. There is lukewarm reception for the iPhone 5 in China. Meanwhile the Galaxy Note 2 is a best seller along with the S3

Clearly people want a larger screen Apple was basically like let them eat cake. Even though the latest best selling state of the art smart phones have 4.5+ size displays, Apple just tossed out a longer 4s

I have medium sized hands and either phone is can be used one hand. what a bunch of Apple marketing hype about the 1 hand 4" phone BS. Yet this horse crap that's taken as gospel

Bottom line, I hate to have to go to android to get a sufficiently large screen because the iphone integrates nicely with my Macs and iPad. But the 5 imo falls well behind the S3 and note in web based functionality. Sure as a phone, camera, and texting platform they're all equally good. But that wider screen is a huge improvement for browsing and other web based activities.

Unbelievable, Apple invented the smart phone category and now they are playing catch-up to android.

Look for the iPhone 5 HD in the spring with a 4.5+ screen. Apple needs to get it's mojo going again/ The consumer has spoken and bigger is def better.

Tim Cook is definitely sitting on the hot seat after today's embarrassing news about no line up at stores in china

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
People in a low wage country didn't line up for a 700 dollar cellphone? No way!

Didn't stop them the year before.

china-launch_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpeg

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

i just submitted a feedback telling apple how pissed i am with the small iphone 5 screen.... all of you guys should do the same, here's the link:

I will preface this by saying I am a big Apple user and have been for years however not everything Apple is good and you have hit a bad spot.

Welcome to the word of Apple where ONE SIZE FITS ALL !!!!!!

Samsung realizes the need for different screen sizes and they give customers a choice.

Apple with their antiquated " One Size Fits All " attitude will see customers move on to other platforms/phones.

I have had iPhones from day one up to my current phone the iPhone 4.

I gave Apple time and awaited the release of the iPhone 5 to see if they would do the right thing.

I am at a point where I use my phone more for browsing/email/text then talking and I NEED a larger screen.

IMHO the iPhone 5 looks like an iPhone 4 that was run through the ringer on an antique washing machine like your grandmother used.

----------

That's the attraction for most phone users, the larger screen.

Apple better take note, or risk losing some more of its phone customers.

That S3 is doing very well and for those who want an even larger screen on their phone the Galaxy Note 2 is an option.

I prefer IOS over Android, but there can be no denying the more pleasurable user experience a larger screen delivers.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Funny....... you purchased a phone that doesn't meet your needs, how is that apple's fault? Your false anger is cute but should be directed internally as YOU are the one that purchased the 4" phone, no one made you.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Funny....... you purchased a phone that doesn't meet your needs, how is that apple's fault? Your false anger is cute but should be directed internally as YOU are the one that purchased the 4" phone, no one made you.

Gotta give you credit for catching that.

I don't like the screen size, though I have had iPhones from the beginning it wasn't until I got my iPhone 4 when it first came out that I began using it heavily for browsing/email/text.

I've come to realize the screen size no longer works for me and won't be buying a phone that does not meet my needs.

I wonder what a used iPhone 4 would sell for, and would it be worth more if I got a out of warranty replacement for $150 and sold that. My iPhone 4 is heavily scratched as I have used it, carried it around in my pocket with keys and change, and tossed into a box in the back of my truck from time to time.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Your problem. Some people, like myself, actually prefer the current width. And I will honestly not upgrade to the next iPhone if they make it any bigger. If you don't like the design, yet you bought it shockingly enough, it's your fault. Not everyone is unhappy.
That is a great point. The current iphone is perfect for you. It is selling millions and will be if not already the best selling smart phone. But you cannot deny how many larger screen smart phones people are buying. I think Apple will eventually release a larger screen iPhone just because the market is demanding it. But why not release 2 iphones? One with the current screen size and another with a larger screen size? We have 2 sizes of iPads.....why not 2 sizes of iPhones?

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
The iPhone is designed to be used with one hand. Bigger phones are not. That's the difference. If you're fine with using your phone with two hands from time to time, then the iPhone isn't for you, and you can get a larger phone.

I have a s3 and I can use it just fine with one hand. I guess if you have abnormally tiny hands you wouldn't be able to use it but even my wife can use it. Heck, my 10 year old son has no problems using it. He actually prefers it over the wife's iPhone because of the size.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no android fanboy by any stretch. I miss iOS but I don't miss the tiny screen. I'll be first in line on launch day as I was for every iPhone except the 5 when they make the screen bigger.

a9fa02a8-a7ea-455c-8981-2704dfda1389.jpg

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
The reason I left Android and back to Apple is for the screen. I hate these phablet phones. The Note 2 is a joke, I mean, hell, a freaking kids show made fun of it, and the S3 is alright, but still, too big. I'll use my Nexus 7 for any intensive surfing/video watching. I just don't understand what people's fascination is with bigger phones, like they're compensating or something. I know SO MANY people who don't even want to switch from the 4S to the 5 because they don't want a phone that is 4"! I had a 4.3" phone and I liked it, but that is by far the biggest phone I'll ever get. They won't add another iPhone, because they don't want damning fragmentation like Android, this coming from an Android fan.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I can guarantee that if you put an iphone on a table in a line with a Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC and Nokia phone, all without their nametag on their phone, 90%+ of the people would be able to correctly identify the iPhone. Less than half (and that's being generous) would be able to correctly identify the other phones. It's simple. There's Apple, and then there are the rest.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The reason I left Android and back to Apple is for the screen. I hate these phablet phones. The Note 2 is a joke, I mean, hell, a freaking kids show made fun of it, and the S3 is alright, but still, too big. I'll use my Nexus 7 for any intensive surfing/video watching. I just don't understand what people's fascination is with bigger phones, like they're compensating or something. I know SO MANY people who don't even want to switch from the 4S to the 5 because they don't want a phone that is 4"! I had a 4.3" phone and I liked it, but that is by far the biggest phone I'll ever get. They won't add another iPhone, because they don't want damning fragmentation like Android, this coming from an Android fan.

Bigger phones are for people who don't want a tablet. It combines the best of both worlds.

There is a market for them, just because Apple lovers disagree doesn't mean they serve no purpose. The sales prove this.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I've actually switched from a 4S to a t-mobile Galaxy S II. While I definitely miss iOS, Jellybean has been fairly good. I'd still switch back to Apple as soon as they release a 4.5+ inch phone. I guess I'll never quite understand why Apple can't simply produce a phone to be used by people preferring a single handed device, in addition to a phone that serves everybody else by having a larger screen. Sorry Apple. To me, the perfect balance between size and functionality is at the 4.52" mark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.