Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Im sure there are a thousand post likes this and I will get beat up for this but here it goes...

My iPhone 4 keeps shutting off randomly since I dropped it and wont turn on unless plugged in. I don't use the phone for many games...just tapatalk and a few others. Ive looked at just buying another 4 but because my phone has no visual signs of damage I would only go to a trusted source like Amazon, Apple, etc...no craigslist or eBay. At that point its about $250, I can not use my carrier upgrade because I rely on my phone for tethering and absolutely can not lose unlimited.

If/when Verizon dumps all the unlimited or when I don't need the tethering I will use my upgrade and then thats another $200-$250 plus $30 upgrade...so at that point I'm $480+ in. Ive looked at the iPhone 5 and seen they aren't expecting the jailbreak until WWJC which is August, sadly my phone isn't going to make it.

So to the point, I am on Verizon...I can keep unlimited and move to 4G by buying a phone outright. Ive seen some good stuff about the Galaxy S3. Any comments on that or recommendations for others? I hate to do it but I am tired of playing the jailbreak game and that forcing my phone/iOS choices, I was on iOS 4 for months and quickly moved to 5 before 6 was released.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
The Galaxy S3 is a good choice but expect there to be a new announcement for the Galaxy S4 by May 2013. I recommend you also try out the Galaxy Note 2 which just because available in the States. It has a much larger battery than the S3, which will help with your tethering. Don't let the size of the Note 2 intimidate you, it will rock your world.

There are several easy ways to root both the S3 and the Note 2 if you want to try that out but for your needs, the stock OS on the Galaxy phones will be more than flexible enough.

One big advantage of getting the Galaxy S3 or the Galaxy Note 2 is that even if you buy it from a carrier locked, there is a very easy method to unlock both of them by just dialing a service number on the phone and hitting a couple of menus. I don't know of any other phones, Android or not, that make it so easy to unlock. You don't pay any one and it is literally less than 1 minute to do.

You can't go wrong with either phone. If you want to spend less money, you can also look into the new Google Nexus that is only like $350 unlocked straight from Google but has less storage. It is also hard to buy right now because they are sold out.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
My first piece of advice would be to go to a store and try some out. The HTC Droid DNA is getting a lot of hype because of the 1080p screen, so give that a look. As for the GS3, like someone else mentioned, GS4 rumors are already floating, and a possible release in April-May.

For the Note 2, it may be for you. I tried one yesterday at a Best Buy Mobile store in a mall nearby and it was just way too big for my use. I often use my phone one-handed and the usability level of the Note 2 one handed is basically non-existant without constant acrobatic hand movements. But obviously, the screen real estate is nice. But you may not be looking for a device to force two devices into one.

Unfortunately since you are on Verizon you can't go for the Nexus 4, so that's a bummer.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
The Galaxy S3 is a good choice but expect there to be a new announcement for the Galaxy S4 by May 2013.
Good advice although if the OP can't wait until summer for a jailbreak, their phone won't make it waiting around the an s4 either!

I say look into the S3 as well. It is a very popular phone and as such there are a fair number of accessories for it. Probably still not the choices that an iPhone has, but still pretty good. And yes, if you can handle the bigger size of the device, the Note 2 is worth looking into. With both phones Samsung has innovated with the software over and above stock Android or what any other manufacture is doing really. So definitely worth a look.

Personally I would avoid the Nexus 4 as it has no supported LTE in the U.S. (though there is some sort thing you can do that works in only a few places), and it offers no SD card slot. So that makes this phone limited in both speed and storage which I think is a deal breaker. And if it isn't on Verizon than it really IS a deal breaker for you!

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks for all the comments. I would love to be able to wait but the phone literally just fell about 1' onto a shirt on a desk and shut off, no combination of buttons will turn it back on and only plugging it into power restores it. Ive torn it apart and checked all connections and even replaced the battery. Having to always have a charger with you is kinda like the time when you are on a tethered jailbreak, if it shuts off you are screwed.

The above is also why I will not buy one from eBay, craigslist, or similar classifieds. My phone has no visual damage at all except minor scratches from use so I am not sure I could trust buying a phone from an individual now.

Once I get back to school in January I will head to the Verizon store and check them out, rather not have a large phone like a Note so will probably just stick to playing with the S3.

Any information on battery life from users? I found a website but they claim it beat the iPhone 5 by almost 3 hours which I find hard to believe with the track record Android phones have.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Thanks for all the comments. I would love to be able to wait but the phone literally just fell about 1' onto a shirt on a desk and shut off, no combination of buttons will turn it back on and only plugging it into power restores it. Ive torn it apart and checked all connections and even replaced the battery. Having to always have a charger with you is kinda like the time when you are on a tethered jailbreak, if it shuts off you are screwed.

The above is also why I will not buy one from eBay, craigslist, or similar classifieds. My phone has no visual damage at all except minor scratches from use so I am not sure I could trust buying a phone from an individual now.

Once I get back to school in January I will head to the Verizon store and check them out, rather not have a large phone like a Note so will probably just stick to playing with the S3.

Any information on battery life from users? I found a website but they claim it beat the iPhone 5 by almost 3 hours which I find hard to believe with the track record Android phones have.

The note II indeed beats the iphone 5 battery life, galaxy s3 not sure but most people i see around last for a whole day.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'm also considering a switch soon, can't take the snail pace at which Apple's iOS is evolving every year.

Considering the S4 next year, but if I feel the screen is too big for me, I'm gonna get the S3 then.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I was looking at some reviews for the Note 2 also, the thing is huge. Too big for me after I seen the video where the guy was holding it like a tablet. I have pretty much decided at this point I will go with the S3 unless when I go to look at it something changes my mind.

I also looked at just burning my upgrade but I would go from unlimited to a maximum of 2gb a month to keep the same plan price...not worth it at all so sadly I must spend $650 to keep unlimited.

Also, for any of those reading this wondering about upgrading from 3G Unlimited to 4G Unlimited it turns out you can as long as you buy the phone full price. This concerned me a little bit because of the 4G using a sim card but I found this document on Verizon's site after a little searching - http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Calling Plans/share_everything.html

Number 7 - I have unlimited data on my account. Do I need to change to the Share EverythingSM Plan if I want to get a new device?

You’re not required to switch to the Share Everything Plan, but if you do, you won’t be able to keep your unlimited data package. When you upgrade, you can choose from a voice plan with a standalone data package or the Share Everything Plan. If you want to keep unlimited data, you have the option to pay full retail price for a new phone.

and...

Number 13 - I'm a current Verizon customer with a 3G phone, but I need faster data downloads. Do I have to go to the new Share EverythingSM Plan if I upgrade to a 4G phone?

No, you aren’t required to switch to the Share Everything Plan, even when upgrading your device.

However, if you currently have an unlimited data plan, you won’t be able to keep it if you upgrade at a discounted price. You can choose from a plan with a standalone data package or the Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited data is important to you, you have the option to pay full retail price for a new phone.

I have print screened both sections and also printed the webpage as a PDF file and will be taking that with me when I go to purchase the phone. To be honest, I can't wait to get a new phone because after starting this thread I think mine has shut off 3-4 times.

tmoney82

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I have a GS3 and the battery last all day with moderate use. It is fantastic device for sure. The only thing for you buying it, if you like me, is that it is about 6-7 months old. I like the newest stuff, lol! But I think this phone will get the newest Android updates throughout two years!

When you get it, try doing some of these things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp-XUsxVUvY

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I played with S3 next to a Note 2 and to me the Note 2 was not as larger as I had expected it to be. But the screen.... wow so vivid and bright.

I just switched from iPhone 4S to a Nexus 4 a month ago and now that I already have a larger phone than my 4S I am thinking the Note 2 would be pretty slick. I might even sell my Nexus 4 and get one.

Michael

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Was excited about iPhone5 but...

The progression of my choice...
My fiance and I were Boost ($35/mo unlimited was super nice) and it was fine for our needs but the Sprint network coverage can sometimes be sparse to non-existant in some areas. She is a new flight attendant so suddenly coverage became very important and her co-workers were getting great coverage with Verizon. So we decided on Verizon. I ended up passing on the iPhone5 and S3; instead opting for a Droid Razr HD. Realistically I could have gone with any of them and I think I would have been completely satisfied. Hardware wise they all have great specs. Basically I didn't choose an iPhone because the screen was a little smaller and lacks swype which I am addicted to. Then my choice came down to either a S3, Droid Razr HD or Note2. Spec wise the S3 is fine but the Razr HD has hdmi out which I'm anxious to try but to be honest haven't seen it in action yet. The Note2's huge screen, huge battery and quad processor really peaked my interest but when I saw it in person, well, it is friggin huge and there seems to be a lack of decent case choices as it is a new phone. It seems like an awesome unit but I really don't need a small version of a tablet. I don't carry a pack or brief case so that ruled out a Note2 for me. I feel a little disappointed I passed on the Note2 because I was really excited about its specs. In the end my fiance decided on the Razr HD before I chose it as well and our man cub opted for a Nokia Lumia 822 with Windows 8. The Win 8 UI seems to work really well. A LOT better than the horrible, fragmented, segmented desktop version but that's a post for another forum.

A couple weird things about our experience with our local Verizon store...
Their opinion on signal performance gave the nod to Moto with Samsung and Nokia following behind. When we had T-Mobile our Motos were horrible and Nokia was spectacular. Hmmm; although this is a different carrier, new hardware; who knows. Also, the manager had a bit of a lower opinion on the iPhone because of its lack of visual customizability which I dismissed because eye candy is lower on my priority list than pure functionality.

Whew.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I know the OP thinks the Note 2 is too large but I have to say go see in in real life. The phone fits easily in any pocket on male jeans and works like a computer. Great for a college student. If you hate the size then get the S3, but know that it the specs are quite a bit better on the Note 2 ... or just wait for a rumored GS4.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Dont judge by looking a video review, you live in the states so have the advantage to go different stores and try the phones yourself :) btw have you consider windows phone 8 options ?

Goodluck !

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The GS3 is a great phone and the GS4 wont be out till many months later so if you cant wait, id say the GS3 is the way to go since Verizon wont get the Nexus 4. IMO the Note 2 is HUGE compared to my GS3 so for me thats out but you may like it but trust me, if you are coming from a iPhone 4.....the Note 2 will make that look like a iPod Nano.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Considering switching from an iPhone. Besides iMessage, the thing I will miss most is AppleCare. If I ever drop my phone or have an issue with it I can go right into an AppleStore and get it replaced. How do most of you Android owners deal with hardware issues? Do you simply have insurance with your carrier?

gniss39

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2007
Eugene, OR
If you get a S3 or even Galaxy Nexus you can buy a 2nd battery pretty cheaply and battery life won't be a worry. You're used to carrying a charger with you now, a second battery will feel like nothing.

There are some eBay power sellers that have a 30 day return window or something. They have thousands of positive feedback so I feel they can be trusted. Or you can check out Gazelle

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
In my opinion the DNA trumps both the GS3 and Note 2. All three are spectacular phones though.

Yeah the biggest problem with the DNA is battery as others have said and no expandable memory is a dealbreaker along with Sense UI for me personally (and the fact that it's only on Verizon). The key here is that it's cool today, but once better 1080p phones come out like the rumored GS4 the Droid will kind of suck in comparison and will quickly fade.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Yeah the biggest problem with the DNA is battery as others have said and no expandable memory is a dealbreaker along with Sense UI for me personally (and the fact that it's only on Verizon). The key here is that it's cool today, but once better 1080p phones come out like the rumored GS4 the Droid will kind of suck in comparison and will quickly fade.

Yeah. The limited storage is the tradeoff. I personally like sense UI. As a matter of fact, it's the only skin I don't mind (I didn't really mind motoblur either).

----------

How do most of you Android owners deal with hardware issues? Do you simply have insurance with your carrier?

I have a 3rd party, 3 year accidental damage plan through NEW. Bought it from *cringe* wal-mart.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Im sure there are a thousand post likes this and I will get beat up for this but here it goes...

My iPhone 4 keeps shutting off randomly since I dropped it and wont turn on unless plugged in. I don't use the phone for many games...just tapatalk and a few others. Ive looked at just buying another 4 but because my phone has no visual signs of damage I would only go to a trusted source like Amazon, Apple, etc...no craigslist or eBay. At that point its about $250, I can not use my carrier upgrade because I rely on my phone for tethering and absolutely can not lose unlimited.

If/when Verizon dumps all the unlimited or when I don't need the tethering I will use my upgrade and then thats another $200-$250 plus $30 upgrade...so at that point I'm $480+ in. Ive looked at the iPhone 5 and seen they aren't expecting the jailbreak until WWJC which is August, sadly my phone isn't going to make it.

So to the point, I am on Verizon...I can keep unlimited and move to 4G by buying a phone outright. Ive seen some good stuff about the Galaxy S3. Any comments on that or recommendations for others? I hate to do it but I am tired of playing the jailbreak game and that forcing my phone/iOS choices, I was on iOS 4 for months and quickly moved to 5 before 6 was released.

Galaxy s3 is great as is the note II and razr hd maxx and regular hd. The m is pretty nice as well. If your looking for a good second hand phone the samsung galaxy nexus is good and can be had for under 300. The battery life on the new phones I mentioned is better though as they all use the much more efficient snapdragon s4 or the exynos 4.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Held the phone at Wal-Mart today, not too big. Note is definitely too big for me. Going to print out that webpage and on January 13, will head to Verizon store and pick one up! Going to be a long wait....

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Held the phone at Wal-Mart today, not too big. Note is definitely too big for me. Going to print out that webpage and on January 13, will head to Verizon store and pick one up! Going to be a long wait....

Word of caution though, give yourself some REALISTIC time to adjust with the new UI. Using iPhones exclusively for the last 5 years until i5, took me almost a month to see how some things in Android is actually much better implemented. Not all, but enough to say that Android works better for me at this time..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.