Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I know the OP thinks the Note 2 is too large but I have to say go see in in real life. The phone fits easily in any pocket on male jeans and works like a computer. Great for a college student. If you hate the size then get the S3, but know that it the specs are quite a bit better on the Note 2 ... or just wait for a rumored GS4.

X2.... walked into best buy fully intending to buy the Note2 (without seeing how large it is in real life). Saw it and had some serious doubts but the return policy is good enough so if I didn't like it I could return it easily. Now I can't even look at the iphone screen. Just WAY TOO SMALL. The Note fits perfectly in my hands and pocket. I have small hands and one hand texting is a breeze, no issues there.

Word of caution though, give yourself some REALISTIC time to adjust with the new UI. Using iPhones exclusively for the last 5 years until i5, took me almost a month to see how some things in Android is actually much better implemented. Not all, but enough to say that Android works better for me at this time..
This. You will have to take some time and keep an open mind. Android is a completely different monster than iOS.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
A world of insecurity and malware. And it will only get worse as Android becomes more popular and there is a bigger reason for hackers to take advantage of it.

I knew it wouldn't be long before one found this...

I run Windows without antivirus and have never had a problem, as long as you are smart about what you are doing then it isn't a problem.

Going to call Verizon today to verify that I can in fact upgrade before I get too excited...kind of scared to call them also because they will probably just change my data package because I called. :rolleyes:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
:rolleyes: Ive been using Android for over 3 years and have yet to have any of those issues.

The kool-aid is strong mate :D most of the time i just put those people on the ignore list to prevent rage typing; seems stupid but when you have a bad day and read nonsense like that it gets on your nerves.

Last edited:

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Back on track, getting the phone a bit earlier than I thought...tomorrow! Ill take a good look at the Note2 but I know personally I am not a fan of big phones but I will give it a good chance. Most likely going to grab the Black GS3 and then a 16-32gb SD card for it. Anything else I should grab? I already have quite an assortment of USB wall and car plugs.

Might have already asked but does anyone use FoxFi and is it working on JellyBean?

Another, the phone probably isn't on JellyBean right now since it just got released so should I keep it on the last one or update?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Back on track, getting the phone a bit earlier than I thought...tomorrow! Ill take a good look at the Note2 but I know personally I am not a fan of big phones but I will give it a good chance. Most likely going to grab the Black GS3 and then a 16-32gb SD card for it. Anything else I should grab? I already have quite an assortment of USB wall and car plugs.

Might have already asked but does anyone use FoxFi and is it working on JellyBean?

Another, the phone probably isn't on JellyBean right now since it just got released so should I keep it on the last one or update?

Phone can be rooted very easily so you can use any of the root tethering apps. But yes foxfi does work on jellybean without root.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

You will want the Sandisk 32gb class 10 SD card for your phone. DO NOT get a 64gb SD card of any kind. The S3 is not rated for it and while you can have it work for a short while, it will eventually get a read error and tell you the SD card is damaged. All info will be lost at that point. I have personal experience with this. 32gb class 10 cards work perfectly.

DO NOT update to 4.2 - there are so many bugs in the code, the developers at XDA are still working them out to get a fully functioning ROM. They just got the camera working on 4.2 if that gives you an indication.
Upgrade to 4.1.2, but no further. As for Foxfi, that appears to be hit or miss. Good luck and enjoy.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Phone can be rooted very easily so you can use any of the root tethering apps. But yes foxfi does work on jellybean without root.

Im gonna try to stay unrooted so I can update easily, only reason iPhone is jailbroken is for MyWi.

You will want the Sandisk 32gb class 10 SD card for your phone. DO NOT get a 64gb SD card of any kind. The S3 is not rated for it and while you can have it work for a short while, it will eventually get a read error and tell you the SD card is damaged. All info will be lost at that point. I have personal experience with this. 32gb class 10 cards work perfectly.

DO NOT update to 4.2 - there are so many bugs in the code, the developers at XDA are still working them out to get a fully functioning ROM. They just got the camera working on 4.2 if that gives you an indication.
Upgrade to 4.1.2, but no further. As for Foxfi, that appears to be hit or miss. Good luck and enjoy.

Verizon just released the 4.1 JellyBean I think Friday so hopefully this Verizon didn't go around and update all the phones. Is it hard to downgrade the phone from say 4.1 to 4.0?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Im gonna try to stay unrooted so I can update easily, only reason iPhone is jailbroken is for MyWi.

Verizon just released the 4.1 JellyBean I think Friday so hopefully this Verizon didn't go around and update all the phones. Is it hard to downgrade the phone from say 4.1 to 4.0?

Do the carrier upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 Jelly Bean, it is a good update and brings some features only seen on the Galaxy Note 2. After you update, you will be able to follow the super easy instructions from XDA Developers for unlocking your phone for free so you can use it on any compatible carrier.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

4.1.x is fine. 4.2.x is what you want to avoid. And you want 4.1 over 4.0

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
And it will only get worse as Android becomes more popular and there is a bigger reason for hackers to take advantage of it.

Nah hackers want go to after the :apple:

After all I thought iPhone's outsold Android like 5 to 1 or something. :rolleyes:

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
4.1.x is fine. 4.2.x is what you want to avoid. And you want 4.1 over 4.0

I wonder if the battery life issues in the Nexus 4 are due to 4.2. I'd like to see that phone running 4.1 as an experiment to see if it makes a difference to the battery.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
A world of insecurity and malware. And it will only get worse as Android becomes more popular and there is a bigger reason for hackers to take advantage of it.

I bet this answers would have tens of upvotes if it was in one of the other forums.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Why do people that dont like Android or can't have a mature conversation about another operating system even come comment here? Go away.

Other news, went to Verizon and picked up the GS3. Really looked at the Note2 and probably would have gotten it if it wasn't $100 more. So far I am happy with the GS3 and currently tethered to it on JellyBean! When I picked the phone up I was in a 4G area and wow, amazingly fast. Apps were downloaded before I could get back to the home screen to find them.

Last edited:

awaizy

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
Why do people that dont like Android or can't have a mature conversation about another operating system even come comment here? Go away.

Other news, went to Verizon and picked up the GS3. Really looked at the Note2 and probably would have gotten it if it wasn't $100 more. So far I am happy with the GS3 and currently tethered to it on JellyBean! When I picked the phone up I was in a 4G area and wow, amazing fast. Apps were downloaded before I could get back to the home screen to find them.

If you don't mind me asking, what phone did you upgrade from?

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Anyone know of a way to remove things from the ongoing list? When I start FoxFi, it gives me an ongoing message for Mobile Hotspot and then the one for Wifi is always on. I researched the Wifi one and it looks like I wont be able to remove it unless I root.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Anyone know of a way to remove things from the ongoing list? When I start FoxFi, it gives me an ongoing message for Mobile Hotspot and then the one for Wifi is always on. I researched the Wifi one and it looks like I wont be able to remove it unless I root.

I think you can turn it off by turning off notifications in the app info menu.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Tip for anyone rooting...read...read...read...read...research what you are trying to install(ROMs)...read...read...read...and read some more.

After spending about 3 hours trying to root it and finally getting it with Odin, I moved on to installing AKOP. Failed the AOKP install, left me with a non-working phone stuck on the Samsung Galaxy S III logo. Also lost my internet after the phone broke because it was my internet. Tried to install the Verizon stock ROM I downloaded before I tried incase. Turns out 7zip screwed that file up along with IE9, went to my grandparents today and tried to load CleanROM since I thought it just didnt have a ROM to load at this point, then get a message about software not authorized by Verizon for use on this phone, return to store... I guess somehow I lost my unlock between AOKP failing and installing CleanROM. Then spent another hour downloading a stock rom that wipes the phone, successfully loaded it with Odin then freaked out because it was on the 4G LTE screen for a couple minutes. Happy to say it did load and I was able to use about 4 OTA updates from Verizon to get back to current.

Needless to say, I will not be exploring with rooting any longer.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Tip for anyone rooting...read...read...read...read...research what you are trying to install(ROMs)...read...read...read...and read some more.

After spending about 3 hours trying to root it and finally getting it with Odin, I moved on to installing AKOP. Failed the AOKP install, left me with a non-working phone stuck on the Samsung Galaxy S III logo. Also lost my internet after the phone broke because it was my internet. Tried to install the Verizon stock ROM I downloaded before I tried incase. Turns out 7zip screwed that file up along with IE9, went to my grandparents today and tried to load CleanROM since I thought it just didnt have a ROM to load at this point, then get a message about software not authorized by Verizon for use on this phone, return to store... I guess somehow I lost my unlock between AOKP failing and installing CleanROM. Then spent another hour downloading a stock rom that wipes the phone, successfully loaded it with Odin then freaked out because it was on the 4G LTE screen for a couple minutes. Happy to say it did load and I was able to use about 4 OTA updates from Verizon to get back to current.

Needless to say, I will not be exploring with rooting any longer.

What are your impressions on your new phone please?:)

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
What are your impressions on your new phone please?:)

Great phone so far, I love all the new features that the iPhone never had. Simple things like keeping the display active because it is tracking your eyes, the small notification LED at the top and then if that doesnt get your attention it will vibrate when you pick it up to let you know.

Bunch of other motion activated features like zoom, pan, and change pictures. It has facial and voice unlock as well as the pattern, pin, password, swipe, and motion.

This doesnt really apply to the iPhone anymore but the LTE is amazing, faster than the internet my grandparents have. I dont really see how its so "open and unlocked" like a lot of people and companies make Android out to be, to me it seems that the only real difference is all the apps for rooted phones are on Google Play itself rather than being on Cydia. You can change email clients and sms clients easily but thats not exactly what I thought "open" would be.

That all said, I love the phone so far. I have not had it fully charged since last night it was broken(because of me) so I have no idea about battery time. Also rooting is damn near impossible compared to jailbreaking...not for the faint of heart. Android is very easy to brick and there are about 50 different ways to attack every problem, some work and some dont so its easy to get confused about what to do. Another thing I noticed, it quickly switches between 1X, 3G, and 4G. I noticed on the iPhone that once it hit 1X, it took a while before it would kick back up to 3G. If tethering it often would not go back to 3G once it dropped to 1X and required a cycle through airplane mode or sometimes a hard reset, not the case with this phone.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thank you very much for your first impressions.:) Must admit that I don't feel confident enough in my own abilities to root my phone, Im loving it as is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.