Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:31 AM   #26
flameproof
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
Yeap is a damm shame, what ido is either copy to clipboard and edit in another app or open in....
Sure, with 10 clicks and some other apps you do get that functionality on iOS.
flameproof is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:37 AM   #27
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000

I liked the old version better. It was a stock iOS UI.

Also the gallery viewer is terribly. It is only for the photos you've uploaded; whereas the previous version had a thumbnail button, that once tapped would display a thumbnail view of pictures in any folder.
Cod3rror is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:41 AM   #28
bushido
macrumors 603

now its crashing on my iPad after i put in my security code works on the iPhone tho
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:47 AM   #29
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Is it snappier?
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:39 AM   #30
faroZ06
Banned

Dropbox is wonderful! It replaces most of iCloud for me (and supports Macs better, ironically), plus I use it for web hosting, file transfer, and file syncing. I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook, and I basically just save all documents to the same Dropbox folder on both PCs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
With the Dropbox Android app I can edit TXT files, in iOS I can't. That really sux.
Yeah, why don't they let you do it in the iOS version?
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:10 PM   #31
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
love the new UI looks very polished and clean. kinda reminds me of an google designed application
Looks horrible and feels alien in iOS.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:34 PM   #32
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
Its nice but is it just me or is the top right tick icon a weird design choice to move or delete a file or folder.
Seems pretty straightforward to me. The tick icon represents selection. Press tge tick and then you can select items.
ohbrilliance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:07 PM   #33
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

I like MyBook Live. Personal cloud storage, time machine backup, mobile app access.
whsbuss is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:30 AM   #34
japanime
macrumors 65816

Like most everyone else who has posted, I also am a huge fan of Dropbox.

However ... do people really take pictures of their bare feet?

(Seriously, that comment in the press release seemed to come out of nowhere.)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:53 AM   #35
needfx
macrumors 68020

I am a dropbox fan, but isn't photo sharing all too overbet on??

seems like everyone is looking to make a phot sharing solution, facebook, google, dropbox, instagram (back then), will.i.am, box, smaller developers, everyone.

on the other hand, why do consumers have this craze to share everything they do in their life with everyone??

jeez
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:36 AM   #36
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

I does have an android feel to it. Not sure if i like it yet, i'm used to the consistency between iOS apps
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:22 PM   #37
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
I does have an android feel to it. Not sure if i like it yet, i'm used to the consistency between iOS apps
What do you mean? It looks a little similar to dropbox on android but then it would. The app on both platforms has design aspects from the platform it's on.

Here it is on Android. You can't possibly mean Android in general because it looks nothing like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-16-20-16-37.png
Views:	16
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	383962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-16-20-23-53.png
Views:	16
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	383963  
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:59 PM   #38
Limboistik
macrumors regular

Its worth noting that you get up to 3GB of additional space when you plugin ur phone and import your photos and videos to dropbox.
Limboistik is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:08 AM   #39
Fireviperrr
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limboistik View Post
Its worth noting that you get up to 3GB of additional space when you plugin ur phone and import your photos and videos to dropbox.
Thanks for the advice, I didnīt know that. Itīs an easy way to upgrade the free space.

Another way to get some free space is to use the referral link displayed in your Dropbox. For each new Dropbox user using the referral link both get 250mb free space. So feel free signing up using my referral link:

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NT...OQ?src=global0

We both get 250 mb free, thx!
Fireviperrr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:20 AM   #40
jakeOSX
macrumors member

Quote:
i use byword. it is a text editor but integrates with dropbox (and iCloud if you prefer)
jakeOSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:42 AM   #41
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
I am a dropbox fan, but isn't photo sharing all too overbet on??

seems like everyone is looking to make a phot sharing solution, facebook, google, dropbox, instagram (back then), will.i.am, box, smaller developers, everyone.

on the other hand, why do consumers have this craze to share everything they do in their life with everyone??

jeez
It's just giving you choice so you don't have to use multiple apps to get the same effect. Why upload photos to Dropbox if you can't view then in a gallery/slideshow format without using yet ANOTHER app to do it.

Website, Pictures & Tweets

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 17, 2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: referral link
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:00 AM   #42
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
Its nice but is it just me or is the top right tick icon a weird design choice to move or delete a file or folder.
It's a little weird, but it does let you multiple-select, which is great.
curmudgeon32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:26 AM   #43
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
It's just giving you choice so you don't have to use multiple apps to get the same effect. Why upload photos to Dropbox if you can't view then in a gallery/slideshow format without using yet ANOTHER app to do it.
Right, and it also happens to drive demand for larger storage plans.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:52 PM   #44
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
So I'm supposed to remember the positions now? What happened to designing intuitive icons? It took me a while to understand why the check mark meant Edit. Nice design there.
I agree, but it's nothing that a press wouldn't uncover.

Quote:
With the Dropbox Android app I can edit TXT files, in iOS I can't. That really sux.
Quote:
I was hoping that was going to be included in this update. I am very greatful that devs are starting to understand that some folks use both iOS and Android, so making the apps identical helps out the end user.

Now, I will be fumbling just a bit with Dropbox or defaulting back to Android to get certain functions. Not a huge problem though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon32 View Post
I killed my first 2GB shortly after signing up, then I did the mad dash to get people to sign up under my referral, and got every free offer I could manage from DB. I pulled my 2GB to 6.5GB and still needed more. I sucked it up and got the base account. Once I got my Note 2 I got 50GBs more.

I do LOVE Dropbox, and am very glad they remained independent.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:58 PM   #45
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
They are the most expensive one for what you get in GB's, but I think it's worth it. Most apps sync with it to provide back up. Photo uploads from my phone works way better than Photostream. I was weighing between Dropbox, Skydrive, and GDrive, but I think Dropbox has the better support (after all, it's the only product they have) and better implementation.

The only feature I would like to see is an "Archive" folder in which I can upload to that folder and then delete the files from my hard drive. Sugar Sync has this and it's a neat feature.

I think they need to up the space they give for the prices though.

Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:33 AM   #46
Marshall3
macrumors newbie

Android and desktop version of Dropbox seems way better than iOS version of Dropbox as there is no such randomness in the design. Since Dropbox has integrated with GroupDocs, the hassles of viewing, editing and converting docs on different platforms has completely eliminated. For me, it is the most successful integration provided by Dropbox for its users.
Marshall3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:21 PM   #47
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
They are the most expensive one for what you get in GB's, but I think it's worth it.
I wholeheartedly agree. I've been using it for several years (since back when you had to go to the domain "getdropbox.com" because they didn't yet own "dropbox.com"!). I very promptly upgraded to a paid plan because I was collaborating with a couple of people on designing a book, and it made the process entirely friction-free.

Now, almost every file on my Macbook Air is kept inside its Dropbox folder so that its always in sync with my other Mac and of course my iPhone.

And at work, I started a freebie account that enabled me to get at a bunch of my files from home when our office was trashed by Sandy. I only wish I could get our Neanderthal IT manager to ditch the unusable Microsoft Sharepoint garbage that they spend so much time and energy maintaining in favor of a beefy Dropbox Teams account. (They've already spent so much on Sharepoint that nobody's ever going to admit it was a horrible mistake, of course).

As for iCloud, it's turned out to be very little of a threat to Dropbox, in my opinion. It's totally opaque, unreliable, and its weird app-by-app silo approach is just confusing. And at least if Dropbox has downtime (rare), you still have all your files there on your machine to transfer some other way if you need to.

I think the jury is still out on Google Drive, but it sure felt like a half-baked Dropbox ripoff when I used it a few months ago.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:20 AM   #48
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree. I've been using it for several years (since back when you had to go to the domain "getdropbox.com" because they didn't yet own "dropbox.com"!). I very promptly upgraded to a paid plan because I was collaborating with a couple of people on designing a book, and it made the process entirely friction-free.

Now, almost every file on my Macbook Air is kept inside its Dropbox folder so that its always in sync with my other Mac and of course my iPhone.

And at work, I started a freebie account that enabled me to get at a bunch of my files from home when our office was trashed by Sandy. I only wish I could get our Neanderthal IT manager to ditch the unusable Microsoft Sharepoint garbage that they spend so much time and energy maintaining in favor of a beefy Dropbox Teams account. (They've already spent so much on Sharepoint that nobody's ever going to admit it was a horrible mistake, of course).

As for iCloud, it's turned out to be very little of a threat to Dropbox, in my opinion. It's totally opaque, unreliable, and its weird app-by-app silo approach is just confusing. And at least if Dropbox has downtime (rare), you still have all your files there on your machine to transfer some other way if you need to.

I think the jury is still out on Google Drive, but it sure felt like a half-baked Dropbox ripoff when I used it a few months ago.
I'm still debating on paying. I have 35% used of a 13GB free account. I want to get 100GB for the safety of some of my choice photography RAW files and music that I obtain from non-iTunes stores (since I'm not sure if I'm able to re-download purchases).

Google Drive sounds good and SkyDrive is even cheaper, but I prefer having one location instead of all these accounts with files all over the place. If anything Google Drive would be the back up for the backup.

We will see where Dropbox goes. They just bought Audiogalaxy and Snapjoy...

Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:46 AM   #49
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm still debating on paying. I have 35% used of a 13GB free account. I want to get 100GB for the safety of some of my choice photography RAW files and music that I obtain from non-iTunes stores (since I'm not sure if I'm able to re-download purchases).
This is way off-topic, but:

I played around with a few online backup services at one point (Mozy, SpiderOak) but got pretty tired of saturating my internet connection waiting for gigantic uploads. Now I just clone everything periodically and keep the encrypted drives in my desk at work. Hard drives are dirt cheap now, so it's cost-effective — and if there was a disaster I could recover my stuff much more quickly than via downloading.

The most important stuff (things I created vs. things I downloaded) is still backed up in real time in Dropbox, of course.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:36 AM   #50
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This is way off-topic, but:

I played around with a few online backup services at one point (Mozy, SpiderOak) but got pretty tired of saturating my internet connection waiting for gigantic uploads. Now I just clone everything periodically and keep the encrypted drives in my desk at work. Hard drives are dirt cheap now, so it's cost-effective — and if there was a disaster I could recover my stuff much more quickly than via downloading.

The most important stuff (things I created vs. things I downloaded) is still backed up in real time in Dropbox, of course.
Oh, yes, I have 2 hard drives with backups. Dropbox would be extra storage and security layer for things I cannot lose. Ever.

Razeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion