Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:40 AM   #651
eklof
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
I hope not. Google has it as a seperate app and that's fine. I don't really see the value in letting others track me, like Lattitude or Find my Friends does. Do people really enjoy it ? Exhibitionism isn't so hot in my book.
I assumed it would be an on/off switch and the default being off
eklof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:19 AM   #652
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by majuha View Post
Also gave Google Maps a go yesterday.

What I noticed was that it would suddenly stop indicating in the middle of a sentence and sometimes it didn't say anything at all. I also think that the voice seemed to "lag" at times and it was slow in saying the indications. Anyone else experienced this behavior?

I have been using Apple Maps since iOS 6 came out and, so far at least, it's been giving me good directions and taking me to the right places

I'll obviously try Google Maps some more and then see which one I'll stick with.

I'm located in Spain btw.
Yep... the voice directions have lagged or didn't work at all... among other wonky things. But this is the first version of the app. Works okay, otherwise.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:27 AM   #653
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Oh you need to try out every app in the App Store before giving 5-star reviews. Poor you.
No but my BS detector goes up when I hear 10,000 reviews and they're all 5 stars. I could care less who the app is from.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock1 View Post
Isn't funny? All those innocent users talking about how nice Google is just because they decided to release a maps app on iOS 6. We should be so thankful... LOL

Please read: http://www.wired.com/business/2012/1...gle-loves-ios/

You really have to be a moron to think that Google made this move only because they are good people. That bull**it doesn't exist in business.
Yep, like Google's $10B revenues offshore in Bermuda. Just good business.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:41 AM   #654
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
Why is it so hard to believe or necessary to think of deep reasons? Apple has offered navigation apps for a long time, free and paid, with streaming and downloadable maps. It allows Netflix that compete with its movie sales and Kindle app that competes with its ebook sales, not to mention tons of podcast, online radio and online streaming music apps. The more apps, the stronger the platform. Simple as that...
I think he meant more "he can't beleive apple allowed a Google maps app" considering the war they're in.

Don't dismiss his thought process. There have been entire classes of apps apple wiped from the app store because "they duplicated core functionality of ios." They just can't exclude 1 company.... but they could exclude an entire category if they chose too. They'd be stupid to though. That would be one hell of a back lash.
MacAddict1978 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:45 AM   #655
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post
I think he meant more "he can't beleive apple allowed a Google maps app" considering the war they're in.
Based on the precedent, that would only have resulted in tons of egg on Apple's face. Google and Apple aren't at "war", that's just the media's presentation of it to get more ad revenue from page clicks and for forum goers to engage in questionable discussion that devolves into insults.

Apple and Google have a business relationship, and right now, they seem to be on competing paths. That doesn't mean that the business they have to conduct is even tainted by this.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
No but my BS detector goes up when I hear 10,000 reviews and they're all 5 stars. I could care less who the app is from.
I think those reviews are more about the poor quality of Apple's map application than of the quality of Google's application. I for one would also give Google 5 stars only for the comparative nature of the apps, not based on the app's quality itself.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:28 AM   #656
CoolSpot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
I found this interesting...
I found it to be ********. In no place does anyone from Google say or imply this. The only take-away that I got from it is that because they were getting a fresh start, they did some UI elements differently.

Given that they have a large installed base with the Android version, they probably don't want to drastically change the UI that millions are familiar and comfortable with.
CoolSpot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:37 AM   #657
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSpot View Post
I found it to be ********. In no place does anyone from Google say or imply this.
David Pogue said his source was an unnamed Google employee.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:21 AM   #658
fsck-y dingo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
Nice try.

We still have Google's maps on one older iPhone (a 3GS) and the maps clearly say "Google" at the bottom of every map image. There was never any mystery as to the source.
The comment is talking about branding in iOS 6 maps. In order for Google to allow Apple use of their mapping they wanted their name on the maps, and possibly more. This was one of the points Apple no longer wanted to go along with so we got Apple Maps instead.

I feel it's completely fair and acceptable for Google to have their name on the map images. It's their work that created the maps so allowing recognition only right.

Whatever the other reasons for not having Google data in the stock app are, it's a shame. Combining the Google's data with Apple's beautiful and smooth running app would have been amazing. It's a combo that will probably never be and that sucks.
fsck-y dingo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:22 AM   #659
rsocal
macrumors 6502a

Maps & more Maps....

I admit I'm diehard Apple always have, I didn't start with them in the beginning of my introduction to computer's (believe it or not there was a day not everyone had a computer much less cell phones). Anyway once I got introduced to an Apple computer I've been a great fan and rank Steve Jobs up there with the greatest influence's in history, Ben Franklin/Thomas Edison/Bill Gates, yes there is a few more but you get the point.

Having said all that I was, for the first time very disappointed with Apple regarding Apple Maps. I really did like Google Maps but looked forward to the realease of Apple Maps. For me, I didn't have any problems with directions and I love the Turn by Turn! However I really couldn't get into Flyover like I did with Google Streetveiw and all the Bus/Train schedules & walking/Driving directions. The bus/train schedules works so awesome when in NYC even with the subways it helped us, my wife & daughter go 1-2 times a yr. and also over to NJ to see family and we use Google Maps to get us there all by subways & trains. I look forward to Apple maps update that I've heard will be here soon. I'm sure in Apple fashion it will be Great, I just think Google has been at it to long for Apple to catch up in just a 2-3yrs. I hope they can because I know once they get it figured out it will be suppeirior to anything out there as ease of use and I'm sure they will throw something in we're not expecting and we'll love it!
I downloaded the new Google Maps App yesterday and its really nice so far, better then the old one!
rsocal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:15 AM   #660
gamer.pro.2000
macrumors newbie

"Better than Android's design"
I doubt that very much. Especially since Android's version supports Google Now's integration and the Apple version is missing several features the Android version has. Bike directions, Night mode, Wikipedia integration to name a few are all missing on the iOS version of Google Maps. Granted, they are small features, but perspective should be upheld here.
gamer.pro.2000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:30 AM   #661
AppleMooseMan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer.pro.2000 View Post
"Better than Android's design"
I doubt that very much. Especially since Android's version supports Google Now's integration and the Apple version is missing several features the Android version has. Bike directions, Night mode, Wikipedia integration to name a few are all missing on the iOS version of Google Maps. Granted, they are small features, but perspective should be upheld here.
Design and features are two totally different things.

I've long been a critic of Google interfaces and how they work but this new UI in Google Maps is very nice and very intuitive. Google are slowly improving at designing innovative interfaces.

Apple aren't a company to back down, you can guarantee this will inspire them to make a much more reliable maps app.

Competition is good.
AppleMooseMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:31 AM   #662
docbrown
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitania View Post
Never had issues in Portugal with Apple Maps. No need to replace
Same here in pretty much all of south florida. And I use Apple maps often. works perfect for me.
docbrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:13 PM   #663
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post

Don't dismiss his thought process. There have been entire classes of apps apple wiped from the app store because "they duplicated core functionality of ios." They just can't exclude 1 company.... but they could exclude an entire category if they chose too. They'd be stupid to though. That would be one hell of a back lash.
Also, don't forget that Goolge Maps, like any other mapping service is not truly "free", they simply don't charge the consumer directly. They are making money off of the search results.

Due to Apple's structure, they are also most likely making money off of this.
cmwade77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:02 PM   #664
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

What's the secret to getting the voice directions activated?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:09 PM   #665
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
What's the secret to getting the voice directions activated?
Just worked for me. Check the "music" volume.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:24 PM   #666
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Just worked for me. Check the "music" volume.
You're saying once you have a starting point and destination in place, the voice commands will activate? I'm assuming you would have to be moving. Do you have the GPS "on" for Google maps as well?

I checked the music sound and it's at "max" with no limit activated.

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:26 PM   #667
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
You're saying once you have a starting point and destination in place, the voice commands will activate? I'm assuming you would have to be moving. Do you have the GPS "on" for Google maps as well?

I checked the music sound and it's at "max" with no limit activated.

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.
Yep, generally started instantly by telling me to "follow [road I'm on] North to [next turn]". Or similar.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:00 PM   #668
koa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav23j View Post
can anyone confirm if voice turn by turn works over Bluetooth like it does it for Apple Maps?
In case no one answered, it does work.
koa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:18 PM   #669
Berserker-UK
macrumors member

Mixed feelings from me: For a 'version 1', it looks very promising, but:
  • No step-by-step transit directions in the UK (the old iOS app has this, so there's no reason I can think of why the new one doesn't).
  • It's a bit of an accessibility nightmare - mainly because the text is so small.

If they sort those two out, I'll be updating to iOS6 for sure. So far, I haven't missed out by not updating, so I'm happy to wait.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:25 PM   #670
wrdwrght
macrumors newbie

I notice that the "returned" Google Maps does not have the hook it once did into Contacts. Getting routes to contacts must be done manually. Otherwise, Apple Maps provides the location and routing solution when a contact's address is tapped. I wish we could assign this hook, but I doubt will Apple let its own map app be further removed from our attention.
wrdwrght is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:41 PM   #671
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrdwrght View Post
I notice that the "returned" Google Maps does not have the hook it once did into Contacts. Getting routes to contacts must be done manually. Otherwise, Apple Maps provides the location and routing solution when a contact's address is tapped. I wish we could assign this hook, but I doubt will Apple let its own map app be further removed from our attention.

Google Maps won't even read the contacts from the Gmail account you're logged in with...

Last edited by John.B; Dec 14, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:20 AM   #672
declandio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker-UK View Post
Mixed feelings from me: For a 'version 1', it looks very promising, but:
  • No step-by-step transit directions in the UK (the old iOS app has this, so there's no reason I can think of why the new one doesn't).
  • It's a bit of an accessibility nightmare - mainly because the text is so small.

If they sort those two out, I'll be updating to iOS6 for sure. So far, I haven't missed out by not updating, so I'm happy to wait.
It does do step-by-step for public transport (in London anyway)... Select one of the routes that it suggested, then swipe up to see step-by-step.

Slightly off topic but check out the airplane doing a low level fly past over Russell Square in London! (the plane is also there on the web version of google maps).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-15 09.16.54.png
Views:	6
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	383699   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-14 22.00.28.png
Views:	12
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	383700  

Last edited by declandio; Dec 15, 2012 at 03:29 AM.
declandio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:03 AM   #673
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by declandio View Post
It does do step-by-step for public transport (in London anyway)... Select one of the routes that it suggested, then swipe up to see step-by-step.

Slightly off topic but check out the airplane doing a low level fly past over Russell Square in London! (the plane is also there on the web version of google maps).
I think the poster was referring to the old Apple-written app being able to step through the whole route, stage by stage, on the map screen. A much more useful feature than simply displaying a list, as Google are providing.
cal6n is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:12 PM   #674
sd13
macrumors regular

Everything is great so far with the new google maps except that i cant find my recent navigation. Does it store a search history? I cant seem to find it.
sd13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:04 AM   #675
j4zb4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
I hope not. Google has it as a seperate app and that's fine. I don't really see the value in letting others track me, like Lattitude or Find my Friends does. Do people really enjoy it ? Exhibitionism isn't so hot in my book.
You are missing a critical point... It is not always about exhibitionism but utility too... I do indulge in long biking trips with my friends... And we all have our phones mounted on dashboards for tracking each other through find my friends or latitude if there is someone without an iphone... Its a lot easier than straining your eyes to keep track of fellow bikers... And thats just one application for the app... There could be many...
j4zb4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion