Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:40 AM   #51
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Yeah that looks pretty damn cool.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:00 AM   #52
miss.manson
macrumors 6502a
 
miss.manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Good job but kinda fugly IMHO. IF you would of left the white body and simply swapped front and back glass that would look good.
Oh AFDoc, you have the best posts.

-_-
__________________
"There Are Things Known, and Things Unknown, and In Between Are the Doors of Perception" - William Blake
miss.manson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:36 PM   #53
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Yeah that looks pretty damn cool.
Thank you Jessica
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:23 PM   #54
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.hansen View Post
I can't believe how brave you are. First the rocket drop test, then the scuffgate video and now this, amazing! I've been subscribed to your YouTube channel for a few months now and I keep getting blown away. Keep up the good work
Haha Thanks Travis, I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad you've enjoyed my work. I'll keep them coming.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:29 PM   #55
travis.hansen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
Haha Thanks Travis, I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad you've enjoyed my work. I'll keep them coming.
No problem. So was it pretty easy to get the back panels off? I want to do something similar
travis.hansen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:31 AM   #56
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.manson View Post
Oh AFDoc, you have the best posts.

-_-
LoL.... at the very least maybe I'm entertaining.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:31 AM   #57
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
While all of you were discussing the perks and drawbacks of white/black iPhone 5's I was busy making a white and black iPhone 5, the best of both worlds. What do you think?


YouTube: video
Lots of people seem to like it. You should start your own business.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:56 PM   #58
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.hansen View Post
No problem. So was it pretty easy to get the back panels off? I want to do something similar
Yeah, the back panels were ridiculous. They're glued in, you have to strip the housing down to nothing and heat the aluminum housing to release the glue. Even after its heated its still tough to push out. I don't recommend it. I'm sure a kit will come pre-made eventually.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:15 PM   #59
lapeno
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
looks cool
__________________
iMac 21.5" 500GB HD, 8GB DDR3, 3.06 GHZ C2D, Lion 10.7.5
16 GB Black iPhone 4 6.1
lapeno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:32 PM   #60
TaylorMatsu
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Looks great! too difficult to do on my own so ill stick to my solid black
__________________
2012 15" rMBP 2.7 GHz 8GB RAM 512GB SSD --- iPhone 5s Space Grey 32GB
Twitter
TaylorMatsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:43 PM   #61
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMatsu View Post
Looks great! too difficult to do on my own so ill stick to my solid black
Thank you. And all black is nice. Ill probably switch back to all black here eventually.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:45 AM   #62
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Lots of people seem to like it. You should start your own business.
I do own my own business
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:02 AM   #63
hockeyman94
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: California
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
While all of you were discussing the perks and drawbacks of white/black iPhone 5's I was busy making a white and black iPhone 5, the best of both worlds. What do you think?


YouTube: video
just out of interest because i want to do the back glass a different color how do they come off?
hockeyman94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:27 PM   #64
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman94 View Post
just out of interest because i want to do the back glass a different color how do they come off?
You have to strip the housing down so nothing is still attached. I heated mine using a heat gun on low setting to losen the glue. The panels are painted from the inside and you don't want to mess up the paint pushing it out so I used a layer of heat resistant tape and a blunt plastic tool and you push it from the inside out. There are small holes where you can access the panels from the inside. It was still really tough even after heating. If you feel savvy enough to do it on your own but ill tell ya it wasn't easy and there is the potential to mess it up easy.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:12 AM   #65
hockeyman94
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: California
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPh0neTy View Post
You have to strip the housing down so nothing is still attached. I heated mine using a heat gun on low setting to losen the glue. The panels are painted from the inside and you don't want to mess up the paint pushing it out so I used a layer of heat resistant tape and a blunt plastic tool and you push it from the inside out. There are small holes where you can access the panels from the inside. It was still really tough even after heating. If you feel savvy enough to do it on your own but ill tell ya it wasn't easy and there is the potential to mess it up easy.
Yeah I've been repair iPhones for over 2 years haven't touched the iPhone 5 yet though.... i would have liked to use a suction cup after heating the glass but thats not going to work the panels are way to small
hockeyman94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:18 AM   #66
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman94 View Post
Yeah I've been repair iPhones for over 2 years haven't touched the iPhone 5 yet though.... i would have liked to use a suction cup after heating the glass but thats not going to work the panels are way to small
I thought about doing the whole suction cup thing but the panels are not real tall you'd have to have a pump suction cup small enough to fit to get the right amount of suction. I don't have something like that plus You still have to strip the housing bare anyway to safely heat it.

This was my first iPhone 5 complete tear down so it was foreign to me too.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:43 AM   #67
lke
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
It looks ugly for me.

The back is ok, but the front is ugly. I have choose the front in black.

Why choose the front in white and keep the back with some black parts?
lke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:03 PM   #68
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
It looks ugly for me.

The back is ok, but the front is ugly. I have choose the front in black.

Why choose the front in white and keep the back with some black parts?
I still have the front black screen. I can put in on and throw some pictures up.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:42 PM   #69
wepiii
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I would like to see that as well
wepiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:47 PM   #70
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
only negative to all this if you have to bring your phone to Apple for a warranty exchange, you have to undo everything you just did, other than that it is pretty cool though.
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5/4GB/240GB SSD
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:08 PM   #71
maccompatible
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Great job. It looks sweet.

That said, I think the exact opposite would look cooler.
maccompatible is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:28 PM   #72
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
White & Black iPhone 5 Mod (UPDATED WITH NEW COLOR VARIATIONS)

After posting my last video I had a lot of requests for other color variations like Black screen with a white body and black buttons etc... Here they are. Let me know what your favs are or if you think it's best to keep them the way they are.



Link to previous thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...odded+iphone+5
iPh0neTy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:45 PM   #73
travis.hansen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'm surprised the black body and white screen looks as good as it does. The black screen with the white body and black buttons is by far my fav! Looks sick!
travis.hansen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:54 PM   #74
iPh0neTy
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.hansen View Post
I'm surprised the black body and white screen looks as good as it does. The black screen with the white body and black buttons is by far my fav! Looks sick!
At first I thought I would like the white screen and black buttons and panels better but after doing the straight black screen, I agree, definitely the best looking.
iPh0neTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:28 PM   #75
Jare
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
The only one that looks even half decent to me is the white one with the black band.

Other then that, the rest look pretty terrible. No offence to you, just my tastes.
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit
Jare is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
at&t premier 9/17 pre-order - 16gb wht - california nevian iPhone 3 Sep 29, 2012 06:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC