Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I would be beyond raged if my screen did that and they told me I was out of lucky for nearly two months!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX
A bumper is better than nothing. The phone is brand new, and so hard to get, no one will have cases just yet.

I had this case when I had the N4

http://tpu-cases.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_76&products_id=303

Diztronic cases are top quality TPU...IMO
$15 shipped not too bad either
Felt great in hand, and gave the phone full protection

There ya go. They are out there and better than a bumper. You just have to look.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Guys theres couple of nexus 4 "cases" (tpu etc) over amazon for a while now, if you have prime even better and save the shipping.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Anyone interested in rooting their phones now? :D

This isn't my phone. I have no idea what this guy did but when he replies to me on xda I can post back. I'm using the same kernel and get half that screen on time.

uploadfromtaptalk1355778228423.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1355778302793.jpg

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=35570416&postcount=1727

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
It can't be:eek:

Rooted, ready, and waiting. :D

I would definitely be interested in knowing how that happened.

Here's what he said

"Hey guys!

Sorry I didn't leave all the information, but I wanted to upload before my Nexus rolled its eyes on me and took a nap. LoL. Charging now so doing this from my Mac. So, these are the specs I used with Faux123 Kernel beta 6. Only second charge on it so I only expect it to get better from here.

1.35Ghz / 702Mhz Intellidemand, Snakecharmer on, MPDecision off, Eco Mode, Westwood, 2048 FIOP, LG Preset Color Settings with AMP0 6, 6, 6 (Wierd but gives me just the right punch.) Vibration 50% (non factor) Syncing G-mail, facebook, contacts, Twitter, dropbox all on. (Also running KIK sending messages, and was sending a lot of SMS messages) Stock ROM 4.21, Auto Brightness

Locations on( Wi-Fi Cell Towers), GPS off. NFC Off (although I don't personal think it matters and I'd just as likely turn it on), Wi-Fi the whole time (probably a big factor but I get 5 bars for T-Mobile anyway), Google Now On.

If there's anything else specific I'll get back to it as soon as I can, but I was shocked... I was browsing the internet the majority of time, and on XDA/Facebook a ton.

I didn;t use the phone to make a call that time, so also consider that. But all in all I was pleasantly surprised. I tried to list everything from memory as my baby is sleeping on her LG WCP-700 Wireless Mat, and doesn't like me to disturb her lol.

But I really owe these results to you all and the feedback I've gotten on here (XDA) from the first EVO days, and Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus - through now.

A special thanks to Faux for doing what he does. I wans't happy with my screen as I'm a perfectionist, but with the LG presets and some gamma tweaks for a bit more saturation I am in love with my phone. lol. I no longer compare my display to the iPhone 5 or 4s, although they are beautiful in their own right, I finally like mine better. The difference with my settings (my vary per device as they are all different), is that the iPhone colors are warmer... white more yellowish, and the LG (Nexus 4) runs a bit cooler or accurate one might say. For instance I pulled up a VEVO Video of Katy Perry's Wide Awake her hair looks very blue on the iPhone but on the Nexus 4 it tends to hold a more violet/purple... It seems more on par. So little things like that. Well, I'm babbling so enjoy and thanks again!

Rome"

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Here's what he said

"Hey guys!

Sorry I didn't leave all the information, but I wanted to upload before my Nexus rolled its eyes on me and took a nap. LoL. Charging now so doing this from my Mac. So, these are the specs I used with Faux123 Kernel beta 6. Only second charge on it so I only expect it to get better from here.

1.35Ghz / 702Mhz Intellidemand, Snakecharmer on, MPDecision off, Eco Mode, Westwood, 2048 FIOP, LG Preset Color Settings with AMP0 6, 6, 6 (Wierd but gives me just the right punch.) Vibration 50% (non factor) Syncing G-mail, facebook, contacts, Twitter, dropbox all on. (Also running KIK sending messages, and was sending a lot of SMS messages) Stock ROM 4.21, Auto Brightness

Locations on( Wi-Fi Cell Towers), GPS off. NFC Off (although I don't personal think it matters and I'd just as likely turn it on), Wi-Fi the whole time (probably a big factor but I get 5 bars for T-Mobile anyway), Google Now On.

If there's anything else specific I'll get back to it as soon as I can, but I was shocked... I was browsing the internet the majority of time, and on XDA/Facebook a ton.

I didn;t use the phone to make a call that time, so also consider that. But all in all I was pleasantly surprised. I tried to list everything from memory as my baby is sleeping on her LG WCP-700 Wireless Mat, and doesn't like me to disturb her lol.

But I really owe these results to you all and the feedback I've gotten on here (XDA) from the first EVO days, and Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus - through now.

A special thanks to Faux for doing what he does. I wans't happy with my screen as I'm a perfectionist, but with the LG presets and some gamma tweaks for a bit more saturation I am in love with my phone. lol. I no longer compare my display to the iPhone 5 or 4s, although they are beautiful in their own right, I finally like mine better. The difference with my settings (my vary per device as they are all different), is that the iPhone colors are warmer... white more yellowish, and the LG (Nexus 4) runs a bit cooler or accurate one might say. For instance I pulled up a VEVO Video of Katy Perry's Wide Awake her hair looks very blue on the iPhone but on the Nexus 4 it tends to hold a more violet/purple... It seems more on par. So little things like that. Well, I'm babbling so enjoy and thanks again!

Rome"

Is it difficult installing a custom kernel? And could you link to that thread in case more info is posted?

On a side note, here's my current situation with the Nexus 4. I ordered a Nexus 4 when it first came out, I was in limbo for a while, and then it finally arrived about 4 days after everybody else on the first shipment received theirs.

It worked great at first. But after a week and a half, a section of the screen stopped receiving any touch input. So I called Google and the guy I talked to told me that they keep separate inventory for replacement units and that I should have one in 3-5 days. I sent in my broken one and began to wait.

That was December 6th. 12 days and 6 customer service calls later, I have no idea when/if I will get my replacement. I have talked to multiple agents and multiple supervisors, all I get is "we will contact shipping and get back to you in 24-48 hours."

Well today, I talked to another supervisor. He said the typical thing quoted above. I interrupted him and basically called BS. I was very frustrated. I told him I am leaving the country on Friday and need my unlocked phone. I told him about all the agents I have talked to and how NOT A SINGLE ONE has ever emailed me back even once. Also told him about how I have gotten different answers on the status of my device from every agent. Nobody has been able to tell me the truth about anything, just lies. One person said 3-5 days, the next time I called they said 6 weeks, the next time I called they said less than 7 days, everything is just complete crap from every Google customer service employee.

I told him that I have absolutely zero trust in Google customer service and that all I get from every employee is just empty lies. I asked for some sort of compensation, even something as simple as Google play credit, and he just said "I can't do anything." So at the end of the call, I told him how awful their customer service is. He just responded saying that I will get a follow up email from them after they contact shipping.

I am not holding my breath. I don't expect my phone to get here until late January at the earliest.

The worst part is that this was my very first Android phone. I have been a hardcore iPhone user for years (I am even typing all this on my iPad). This has been the worst Google experience I have ever had. And sure, the phone was great before it broke. But as a whole, this is definitely not a good Android experience.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
On a side note, here's my current situation with the Nexus 4. I ordered a Nexus 4 when it first came out, I was in limbo for a while, and then it finally arrived about 4 days after everybody else on the first shipment received theirs.

It worked great at first. But after a week and a half, a section of the screen stopped receiving any touch input. So I called Google and the guy I talked to told me that they keep separate inventory for replacement units and that I should have one in 3-5 days. I sent in my broken one and began to wait.

That was December 6th. 12 days and 6 customer service calls later, I have no idea when/if I will get my replacement. I have talked to multiple agents and multiple supervisors, all I get is "we will contact shipping and get back to you in 24-48 hours."

Well today, I talked to another supervisor. He said the typical thing quoted above. I interrupted him and basically called BS. I was very frustrated. I told him I am leaving the country on Friday and need my unlocked phone. I told him about all the agents I have talked to and how NOT A SINGLE ONE has ever emailed me back even once. Also told him about how I have gotten different answers on the status of my device from every agent. Nobody has been able to tell me the truth about anything, just lies. One person said 3-5 days, the next time I called they said 6 weeks, the next time I called they said less than 7 days, everything is just complete crap from every Google customer service employee.

I told him that I have absolutely zero trust in Google customer service and that all I get from every employee is just empty lies. I asked for some sort of compensation, even something as simple as Google play credit, and he just said "I can't do anything." So at the end of the call, I told him how awful their customer service is. He just responded saying that I will get a follow up email from them after they contact shipping.

I am not holding my breath. I don't expect my phone to get here until late January at the earliest.

The worst part is that this was my very first Android phone. I have been a hardcore iPhone user for years (I am even typing all this on my iPad). This has been the worst Google experience I have ever had. And sure, the phone was great before it broke. But as a whole, this is definitely not a good Android experience.

I must admit that if I was in your situation I would never use Google for anything ever again, you seem to have loads more patience than me, I wouldn't be able to hold back when it comes to shouting at customer service. I hope you get it sorted because so far, for me, this has been a superb phone.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I must admit that if I was in your situation I would never use Google for anything ever again, you seem to have loads more patience than me, I wouldn't be able to hold back when it comes to shouting at customer service. I hope you get it sorted because so far, for me, this has been a superb phone.

After not even 2 weeks with an Android device for the first time, going back to an iPhone was kind of painful. Screen, keyboard, customization, and just overall boringness. I don't like using my iPhone anymore.

I don't consider myself a patient person, but waiting for the Nexus 4 is really my only option outside of keeping my 4S. I am locked into a contract til the 2 years on this is up, no early upgrade, so an unlocked phone was the only thing that made sense. And clearly with the specs and price of the Nexus 4, it was a no brainer. I just wish Google didn't suck so bad.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
After not even 2 weeks with an Android device for the first time, going back to an iPhone was kind of painful. Screen, keyboard, customization, and just overall boringness. I don't like using my iPhone anymore.

I don't consider myself a patient person, but waiting for the Nexus 4 is really my only option outside of keeping my 4S. I am locked into a contract til the 2 years on this is up, no early upgrade, so an unlocked phone was the only thing that made sense. And clearly with the specs and price of the Nexus 4, it was a no brainer. I just wish Google didn't suck so bad.

I feel for you mate. I must admit that I got the same experience when moving to an iPhone 5 from my S3 to evaluate which I enjoyed best, I couldn't wait to get back to the S3.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

It's a crummy situation but I think in the [very] long run you're making the right decision.

100% Google's fault for this horrendous launch and handling.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Is it difficult installing a custom kernel? And could you link to that thread in case more info is posted?
I don't believe that is a custom kernel. I think that is the software Faux123 Kernel Enhancement. It's in the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamkang.fauxclock

Not sure where you get the betas though.

So basically everything the guy did was with a stock rom. The N4 was rooted though, naturally.

I am going to try it out after I read up on it a bit more.

Edit: OK apparently he, Faux123, does make a custom kernel too. I have to say when you have come to the party late Android is a bit confusing and not all that easy to understand. Many things that I don't know yet are assumed to already be known.

Edit 2: OK the beta 6 thing is available for download inside Faux123 Kernel Enhancement, once you have that installed. So looks like no custom kernel is needed.

Michael

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Not hard at all. Finding the right settings is harder :p you just have to tweak and test it to see how your phone performs or just use the settings recommended by the kernel dev or other members.

You basically just flash the zip fie in recovery mode and wipe cache then wipe dalvik cache then that's the installation done. Some kernel devs have their own apps to tweak the phone and some don't so you can use SetCPU or No Frills.

I'm currently using Faux's kernel and his app. You can use his app with stock kernel too but not others (yet).

I don't believe that is a custom kernel. I think that is the software Faux123 Kernel Enhancement. It's in the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teamkang.fauxclock

Not sure where you get the betas though.

So basically everything the guy did was with a stock rom. The N4 was rooted though, naturally.

I am going to try it out after I read up on it a bit more.

Edit: OK apparently he, Faux123, does make a custom kernel too. I have to say when you have come to the party late Android is a bit confusing and not all that easy to understand. Many things that I don't know yet are assumed to already be known.

Edit 2: OK the beta 6 thing is available for download inside Faux123 Kernel Enhancement, once you have that installed. So looks like no custom kernel is needed.

Michael

You can use his app with his kernel and stock kernel but not others at the moment. Do you need any help with it? I've been using his kernel/app for a while now.

Has anybody tried using this app?

Trickster MOD Kernel Settings

I don't have much experience with it, but given its rating and the fact that it's free, I would recommend that others try this app first.

Just make sure you don't undervolt too much and set on boot. If you want to undervolt you should always test out your settings before setting it on boot because it might be too much of a decrease. I've undervolted by -100 mV for all frequencies and it's been stable but you can go lower.

I've also read of people overclocking their phones then running benchmarks and bricking their phones so I advise not overclocking. What's the point really it's fast as it is. I actually underclock mine.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
So far I have loved this phone, and pure Google except for one thing...Finding the proper APN. Reception on my Galaxy S3 has been nothing short of amazing, however finding signal on my Nexus 4 has been a chore. Some times I get HSPA+, and other times the signal is really intermittent. Not sure what to do at this point.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Where the heck is the wireless charging orb? Where, Google?

----------

So far I have loved this phone, and pure Google except for one thing...Finding the proper APN. Reception on my Galaxy S3 has been nothing short of amazing, however finding signal on my Nexus 4 has been a chore. Some times I get HSPA+, and other times the signal is really intermittent. Not sure what to do at this point.

What provider are you on?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011

search for your provider APN settings, on my nexus 4 the apn was almost 100% correct but the port was blank, fixed that and the connection problems fixed so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.