Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I asked Google now to call Aero Works in Arizona and it brought up a place in Queen Creek , AZ near Phoenix and was loading it up to call til i stopped it. Is that the correct place? I dont know what town your in so i just said Arizona.
Nope, not the correct place. It is in Colorado.

But that illustrates half the problem I have with only having Google Now for even local searches: it will often revert to that kind of search. All I really want to do is call a contact in my address book. Google Now rarely gets that right for me if I use voice. It often does a google search instead.

Worse, it is inconsistant between voice and text search. If I say just "aero" it will only do a google search for aero. The contact "Aero-Works" is not listed to call--unless it happens to be in the list of search results from the web.

However, if I call up Google Now from scratch and instead type "aero" then Google Now will bring up Aero-Works in the list of contacts it displays. But, even more confusing, if I type "aero" after first using voice to search, it also simply does a google search and will not display my contact Aero-Works. wtf? Google DID start as a search company, right? If so why the heck is this so screwy?

I should note that Siri would also not dial for me when I said "Aero-works" because the hyphen was not recognized (duh). However, I am able to correct what Siri heard, add the hyphen, and have it try again. Call is made. If I correct Google now so that it says "call Aero-Works" it only does another google search. Ugh.

This would not be a big deal but for the phone app. For the love of God it will not find Aero-Works no matter what I type. Why the heck is that? What exactly is so "special" about that contact, and many many others, that causes it to be skipped--most of the time--when I search for it in the phone app? The iOS phone app will even search through the Notes field for a contact when searching.

It's becoming a song-and-dance just to make a phone call. :(

Michael

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm sorry but phone app on iOS most certainly searches globally. If I want to call Aero-Works typing works will find it.

Michael

Alright, but that's different than the example you gave (Aeroworks vs. Aero-works). Go ahead and try to search for 'crat' and see if your Appeal-Democrat contact shows up--that's the type of search you implied you were doing and what I also did on both phones with no luck. The hangup seems to be not at start of words (appears to recognize -) but within words. And I just did a search on my Nexus 4 stock phone app for a hyphenated contact in my list using the second name and it found it no problem--same result as my iPhone. Not sure what's happening on your device but I can't seem to replicate the problem on mine. Maybe has something to do with how the contacts are formated (fields used)? BTW, all of my contacts are maintained via iCloud on both devices, FWIW.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Alright, but that's different than the example you gave (Aeroworks vs. Aero-works). Go ahead and try to search for 'crat' and see if your Appeal-Democrat contact shows up--that's the type of search you implied you were doing and what I also did on both phones with no luck. The hangup seems to be not at start of words (appears to recognize -) but within words. And I just did a search on my Nexus 4 stock phone app for a hyphenated contact in my list using the second name and it found it no problem--same result as my iPhone. Not sure what's happening on your device but I can't seem to replicate the problem on mine. Maybe has something to do with how the contacts are formated (fields used)? BTW, all of my contacts are maintained via iCloud on both devices, FWIW.
I don't know how to make this any clearer: the phone app on my Nexus 4 is in no way reliable. Sometimes it searches within fields for the search string, sometime not. Sometimes it cannot find a contact even if I type the leading characters correctly. Right now it won't find Aero-Works even if I type Aero. That is insane.

Here is what happens, and both contact lists are synched via Google, when I search iOS and Nexus 4 phone apps for the word "time" (note the string "time" is contacted is some field in all the contacts iOS phone app is displaying, even Notes field):

Attachments

• IMG_3635.PNG
    IMG_3635.PNG
    143.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_2012-12-11-09-17-21.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-11-09-17-21.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 54

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Alright, but that's different than the example you gave (Aeroworks vs. Aero-works). Go ahead and try to search for 'crat' and see if your Appeal-Democrat contact shows up--that's the type of search you implied you were doing and what I also did on both phones with no luck.
On iOS I don't need to type more than "cr" and Appeal-Democrat showed up. Several contacts showed up on Nexus, but none of them Appeal Democrat.

I'll attach the iOS screenshot but not into editing out the personal phone numbers that came up on Nexus. Trust me Appeal-Democrat was not in the results when typing "cr." On iOS it was the first result.

Attachments

• IMG_3638.PNG
    IMG_3638.PNG
    86.8 KB · Views: 58

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I guess I expected simple searches, such as when calling someone, would work better on Android based on Google's roots. I am surprised that it is instead worse.

Michael

----------

BTW, all of my contacts are maintained via iCloud on both devices, FWIW.

Huh? How are you using iCloud to sync contacts on the Nexus 4??

Michael

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I guess I expected simple searches, such as when calling someone, would work better on Android based on Google's roots. I am surprised that it is instead worse.

Michael

----------

Michael

These apps. So far, they've worked as advertised.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Michael

----------

Michael

SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts I assume. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5kbWZzLmNhcmRkYXYuaWNsb3VkIl0.

There's also an app for iCloud calendars. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5kbWZzLmNhbGRhdi5pY2xvdWQiXQ..

Edit: I see tbayrgs beat me to it :p

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
On iOS I don't need to type more than "cr" and Appeal-Democrat showed up. Several contacts showed up on Nexus, but none of them Appeal Democrat.

I'll attach the iOS screenshot but not into editing out the personal phone numbers that came up on Nexus. Trust me Appeal-Democrat was not in the results when typing "cr." On iOS it was the first result.

Definitely strange--any searches I do on the iOS phone app using a string of characters from within a word never match. Must have something to do with the fields used.

Regardless, understand how the inconsistencies are frustrating.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
was the s3 your first android phone? I find that most people really like what samsung did with that phone and miss the added features when they try pure android.

It was my first Android phone yes. And agreed, I do miss some of the added functionality that Samsung brought. And while I like Googles DIY approach, the Galaxy SIII just works. I'm going to keep using the Nexus 4 as my daily driver for a while before I decide which phone to keep.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Nope, not the correct place. It is in Colorado.

But that illustrates half the problem I have with only having Google Now for even local searches: it will often revert to that kind of search. All I really want to do is call a contact in my address book. Google Now rarely gets that right for me if I use voice. It often does a google search instead.

Worse, it is inconsistant between voice and text search. If I say just "aero" it will only do a google search for aero. The contact "Aero-Works" is not listed to call--unless it happens to be in the list of search results from the web.

However, if I call up Google Now from scratch and instead type "aero" then Google Now will bring up Aero-Works in the list of contacts it displays. But, even more confusing, if I type "aero" after first using voice to search, it also simply does a google search and will not display my contact Aero-Works. wtf? Google DID start as a search company, right? If so why the heck is this so screwy?

I should note that Siri would also not dial for me when I said "Aero-works" because the hyphen was not recognized (duh). However, I am able to correct what Siri heard, add the hyphen, and have it try again. Call is made. If I correct Google now so that it says "call Aero-Works" it only does another google search. Ugh.

This would not be a big deal but for the phone app. For the love of God it will not find Aero-Works no matter what I type. Why the heck is that? What exactly is so "special" about that contact, and many many others, that causes it to be skipped--most of the time--when I search for it in the phone app? The iOS phone app will even search through the Notes field for a contact when searching.

It's becoming a song-and-dance just to make a phone call. :(

Michael

Hmm, it actually does that very well for me. I dont use it a lot for this but it always brings up and calls people in my contacts list when i do use it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm half considering returning my Nexus 4.

Something's changing in me of late... maybe it's the rise of Samsung's Galaxy line, maybe it's the disenchantment of the Nexus program (and Google's horrendous customer service), maybe it's that Jelly Bean is so stable and reliable now and will undoubtedly be the basis of future high-end Android smartphones... whatever it is, I'm suddenly not that obsessed with immediate updates.

It's just not that important anymore now that JB is so good. Even if there's a killer feature you want in the new Android version, it would only be a few months away. And, if you have a Galaxy phone, when it does finally arrive, it'll actually come with a slew of features from Samsung (as evidenced by their recent Premium Package updates). Samsung will actually build upon Google's stock update.

Right now, the S3 has features that the Nexus doesn't have (by default) and -- I can't believe I'm saying this -- I feel like I'm missing out. Stock Android almost seems boring. :eek:

Anyway, in short, my commitment to the Nexus line is wavering a bit.

Thoughts?

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

Something's changing in me of late... maybe it's the rise of Samsung's Galaxy line, maybe it's the disenchantment of the Nexus program (and Google's horrendous customer service), maybe it's that Jelly Bean is so stable and reliable now and will undoubtedly be the basis of future high-end Android smartphones... whatever it is, I'm suddenly not that obsessed with immediate updates.

It's just not that important anymore now that JB is so good. Even if there's a killer feature you want in the new Android version, it would only be a few months away. And, if you have a Galaxy phone, when it does finally arrive, it'll actually come with a slew of features from Samsung (as evidenced by their recent Premium Package updates). Samsung will actually build upon Google's stock update.

Right now, the S3 has features that the Nexus doesn't have (by default) and -- I can't believe I'm saying this -- I feel like I'm missing out. Stock Android almost seems boring. :eek:

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

You just have a cellphone addiction...it's understandable

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011

Thoughts?

Hmm these is interesting coming from you, but i will love if you elaborate more and not just make "rant?" Post :p

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

YOU'RE HIGH!!!

:eek:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
How about a whole thread? :)

Created it at the end of November. "Are Immediate Updates That Important?"

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1496560/

Gave it a quick look (only your og post) and yeah i agree and probably most people do, by that i mean that mostly tech savy people give a damm about update and love to hit the install option :D my dad updated to ios 6 recently because i told him what the #1 means on settings lol but it all started with incremental updates just dont add nothing to the table (mostly "fix") and now even the major updates dont do much, in ios case they barely do now and i dont have much hope for ios7 other than design changes, android with jellybean is spot on and seems google will focus on just making a really good base and leave the manufactures to go crazy.

Next year will be pretty interesting, i honestly think 2012 was a let down.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
How about a whole thread? :)

Created it at the end of November. "Are Immediate Updates That Important?"

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1496560/

How is this not a completely backwards way of looking at it? I mean the post is nicely written and certainly provocative, but that doesn't mask the absurdity of the idea. Software updates generally contain bug fixes, new features, and across-the-board improvements. They often provide a better experience, so of course having them immediately is important. Claiming everything's good enough as is and that there's nothing super necessary left to add just seems harmful to progress.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
How is this not a completely backwards way of looking at it? I mean the post is nicely written and certainly provocative, but that doesn't mask the absurdity of the idea. Software updates generally contain bug fixes, new features, and across-the-board improvements. They often provide a better experience, so of course having them immediately is important. Claiming everything's good enough as is and that there's nothing super necessary left to add just seems harmful to progress.

Obviously updates are good. No one is saying they're bad. If there's a bug that is that bad, a fix or patch would likely come out shortly after it's been acknowledged. Typically, software updates are for the new features. And sometimes, if anything, software updates bring new bugs.

Also, in my thread, I address precisely the points you bring up. You have a terrible habit of obfuscating people's points, Z.

I'm not saying bugs shouldn't be fixed. Nor am I saying updates should never happen. Nor am I saying progression should stop.

The question is, are updates required immediately? Is the OS not at a point where waiting a few months for the update is acceptable?

... the question is, are immediate updates that important? You can eventually get them.

I don't think we could have this discussion without Jelly Bean getting Android to where it is.

I'm simply offering the idea that immediate updates aren't absolutely necessary with Android anymore. Do you understand those words, "absolutely necessary"? If new features are "absolutely necessary" how in the world did anyone survive without them prior to their release? Is it a misguided notion the importance we place on immediate updates? I'm beginning to think so. A few months wait isn't so bad, nor does it suddenly disable your current OS from operating precisely the way it was operating the day before new software.

Are immediate updates just another thing Apple has made us think is uber important because they do it (it's funny because their updates don't even give you the main features of the respective OSes). I'm starting to think it is. Just like Apple's all important "one handed" use thing.

I'm just becoming less and less convinced I need immediate updates. I don't mind waiting a few months, especially if it means Samsung is going to add to it. Look at the Premium Suite updates recently. They're not just giving you the stock Android upgrades; they're doing more! This is commendable. And, they're doing it well inside the one year cycle of the S3 (something Apple doesn't do).

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
android with jellybean is spot on and seems google will focus on just making a really good base and leave the manufactures to go crazy.

And one OEM in particular (hint: SAMSUNG) is going buck-wild with it. Not even a year ago, TouchWiz was hated and loathed. Now, it's adored.

Samsung is really demonstrating the potentials of open Android. They've taken Google's stock base, and really built upon it. I never ever thought I'd be envious of an OEM's skin (not aesthetically, of course) and its feature-list.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Obviously updates are good. No one is saying they're bad. If there's a bug that is that bad, a fix or patch would likely come out shortly after it's been acknowledged. Typically, software updates are for the new features. And sometimes, if anything, software updates bring new bugs.

Also, in my thread, I address precisely the points you bring up. You have a terrible habit of obfuscating people's points, Z.

I'm simply offering the idea that immediate updates aren't absolutely necessary with Android anymore. Do you understand those words, "absolutely necessary"? If new features are "absolutely necessary" how in the world did anyone survive without them prior to their release? Is it a misguided notion the importance we place on immediate updates? I'm beginning to think so. A few months wait isn't so bad, nor does it suddenly disable your current OS from operating precisely the way it was operating the day before new software.

Are immediate updates just another thing Apple has made us think is uber important because they do it (it's funny because their updates don't even give you the main features of the respective OSes). I'm starting to think it is. Just like Apple's all important "one handed" use thing.

I'm just becoming less and less convinced I need immediate updates. I don't mind waiting a few months, especially if it means Samsung is going to add to it. Look at the Premium Suite updates recently. They're not just giving you the stock Android upgrades; they're doing more! This is commendable. And, they're doing it well inside the one year cycle of the S3 (something Apple doesn't do).

If you want to convolute it that much, then no. We don't NEED immediate updates, we've never NEEDed immediate updates. Things have always worked well enough on both platforms to survive a few months on one firmware. But why should we have to wait a few months? The Nexus 4 has battery and screen issues that seem mendable via a software update, the Galaxy S3 in the US is/was awaiting Jellybean (Google Now) for months. Things constantly get better, we shouldn't have to wait months for carrier approval and OEM skinning. I feel like you're being rather glib in your thread. Is any new fix or feature "absolutely necessary"? Probably not. Is having them "immediately" really that important? No, of course not. But waiting for "carrier testing" and OEMs to dole out new Android flavors seems very pointless seeing how Apple circumvents that process entirely.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Hmm, it actually does that very well for me. I dont use it a lot for this but it always brings up and calls people in my contacts list when i do use it.

My real issue is not voice recognition. In general Google Now performs better than Siri at that.

My issue is simply making a phone call with the phone app. It should not be missing my contacts that are easily found with the People app. Since this is my phone it kinda sucks that it sucks at finding my contacts.

And my contacts are even synced via google. There should be no excuse for this kind of behavior.

In further checking it seems the phone app is completely ignoring the Company field in my contacts--when searching.

I even added a new contact and it will not find it by company name. This is crazy.

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If you want to convolute it that much, then no. We don't NEED immediate updates, we've never NEEDed immediate updates. Things have always worked well enough on both platforms to survive a few months on one firmware. But why should we have to wait a few months? The Nexus 4 has battery and screen issues that seem mendable via a software update, the Galaxy S3 in the US is/was awaiting Jellybean (Google Now) for months. Things constantly get better, we shouldn't have to wait months for carrier approval and OEM skinning. I feel like you're being rather glib in your thread. Is any new fix or feature "absolutely necessary"? Probably not. Is having them "immediately" really that important? No, of course not. But waiting for "carrier testing" and OEMs to dole out new Android flavors seems very pointless seeing how Apple circumvents that process entirely.

Then you're missing the point of the conversation.

I agree (anyone would agree) that we win when updates come sooner. No contention there.

I'm simply saying, we're at a point where waiting is okay. In other words, the Nexus line is becoming less of a draw. For me, anyway. Especially considering the wait actually brings about new features. As a Nexus owner, I'm envious of little things like multiwindow.

By the way, I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Last edited:

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK

Thoughts?

cool_26454a_724732.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.