Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:49 PM   #126
FishNrib
macrumors newbie

Activity Monitor Gone!!!

Anyone try and download a video from Youtube after the update to Safari 6?

At least Firefox with Video Download Helper can still get the job done with OSX 10.8.
FishNrib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:10 AM   #127
sebastiannz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveainone View Post
good thing Google didn't patent the smart search field eh?
living up to their motto
sebastiannz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:33 AM   #128
vohdoun
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
I'm getting used to it, although I don't see the need for everyone to copy Chrome. At least they didn't also put the tabs on top which looks stupid.
Nobody copies anyone? the last I saw most copies each other. OS remixes. _

I agree about the tabs on top. They're hideous. Even Firefox does it by default. Then Firefox chasing Google's numbering system.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:15 PM   #129
HenryAZ
macrumors regular

It appears new features and "snappiness" were not the only compelling reasons for this update:

US-CERT Vulnerability Summary for the Week of July 23, 2012
HenryAZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:20 PM   #130
Lucky736
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Lucky736 Send a message via Yahoo to Lucky736
Thanks for updating the Snow Leopard users to 6.0 Apple.
Lucky736 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:42 PM   #131
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Well version 6.0 is a crock! It has just gone completely boob's up! Will not even load. Crashes on mouse click. A complete ***** joke.

When you try and restore and old version it tells you that it cannot do it. Cannot find an old version to go with either! Damn Annoying!

Well it can't even restore from a time machine back up! Way to go! I can no longer use Safari at all without starting from scratch again!

Not happy right now, not in the mood to be messing around with a system re-install!

Last edited by G4DP; Jul 31, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
G4DP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 05:14 AM   #132
Psychopulse
macrumors regular

And the activity window is no more there. Seriously Apple? :-/
Old Aug 3, 2012, 09:04 AM   #133
klmaj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
Well version 6.0 is a crock! It has just gone completely boob's up! Will not even load. Crashes on mouse click. A complete ***** joke.

When you try and restore and old version it tells you that it cannot do it. Cannot find an old version to go with either! Damn Annoying!

Well it can't even restore from a time machine back up! Way to go! I can no longer use Safari at all without starting from scratch again!

Not happy right now, not in the mood to be messing around with a system re-install!
How old is ya mac? I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" and it works flawlessly. Its so slick it gives me motion sickness when I scroll down on a graphics intensive page, I kid you not!
klmaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:10 AM   #134
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmaj View Post
How old is ya mac? I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" and it works flawlessly. Its so slick it gives me motion sickness when I scroll down on a graphics intensive page, I kid you not!
2008 Mac Pro, so the machine isn't the problem, Apple's shoddy attention to its computers is starting to show.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:08 PM   #135
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopulse View Post
And the activity window is no more there. Seriously Apple? :-/
I believe it's all rolled up under the Web Inspector (there's page/dom/scripts [easy to find video streams under Other or Frames], cookies, network that shows activity [like a streaming file], etc.)
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:26 PM   #136
CK1Czar
macrumors member

I'm using it on Lion and whenever I try to open other pages in tabs, the browser will just close. Anyone else having this problem?
CK1Czar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:42 PM   #137
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNrib View Post

At least Firefox with Video Download Helper can still get the job done with OSX 10.8.
I noticed this. I'm very disappointed - I used that feature very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I believe it's all rolled up under the Web Inspector (there's page/dom/scripts [easy to find video streams under Other or Frames], cookies, network that shows activity [like a streaming file], etc.)
Thanks for sharing; I didn't know that.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 08:18 PM   #138
montycat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNrib View Post

Thanks!!! Didn't know about Video Dowload Helper. It works great. Great alternative
montycat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:30 PM   #139
scottwaugh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelant View Post
I'm running Safari 6 on Lion, and it's much faster.

But in my Top Sites, they no longer update with a star in the corner once a site has updated info on it. Anyone else missing the stars since upgrading to Safari 6 on Lion?
Yes, everyone who has v6.0 will have this. The Top Sites page update indicator (such a great situational awareness tool if you want it) used RSS to determine if the pages had updated. Since Apple ripped RSS out of Safari V6 (and its underlying support out of Mountain Lion - which is probably why Safari lost it), the Top Sites update indicator was killed as well.

I'd like to think Apple would add this back (they have the model for a browser enclosed version from their Windows Safari which contained all the plumbing in the browser), but I wouldn't bet a cent on it.

Those who really want it back and are running Lion, if you can grab a copy of the Safari v5.1.7 package from a machine that hasn't been updated to Safari v6 (Snow Leopard machines didn't get v6 and some folks will have it in time machine), you can copy it to a new directory (so it doesn't overwrite v6) in the Applications folder (only on Lion) and it will run (RSS will be back as well) - do not run both versions at the same time though as they use the same supporting files and corruption issues would be waiting - I'd guess the best course of action would be to only run the same one all the time so there's less chance for issues.

Folks on Mountain Lion are stuck short of rolling back to Lion and running v 5.1.7 (might be worth it to a few out there).

True bummer for the folks that liked this feature nobody else has.
scottwaugh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:14 AM   #140
smithchristine
macrumors newbie

According to techisky, there is no other way to download YouTube videos on Safari 6 (activity windows is removed from Safari). To download YouTube videos in FLV, even 1080p/720p MP4, one can install FastestTube Safari Extension.

Here is the detailed solution:
http://www.techisky.com/answers/can-...tain-lion.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettochris View Post
The activity view disapearing is lame. I have found keepvid.com works for youtube and vimeo videos, but I have to use download helper or something in firefox to get liveleak videos without activity view, and not sure if it works as often or for misc things as the activity view, and nothing like it for safari that I know of.

wtf apple.
smithchristine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:32 PM   #141
Edgecrusherr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven11 View Post
You should upgrade. Apple stopped support for Snow Leopard. There will be no security updates anymore.
Security updates aren't really all that important to me for every reasons. Our computers aren't really browsing the internet and installing non-print and production software. I upgraded my machine (Mac Pro 2009) to 10.8 a few weeks ago and it took a hit on performance. I'm very disappointed. 10.6 is still the king, I wont be upgrading any more machines any time soon.
Edgecrusherr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion