Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FishNrib

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
San Diego
Activity Monitor Gone!!!

Anyone try and download a video from Youtube after the update to Safari 6?:(

At least Firefox with Video Download Helper can still get the job done with OSX 10.8.;)

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
I'm getting used to it, although I don't see the need for everyone to copy Chrome. At least they didn't also put the tabs on top which looks stupid.

Nobody copies anyone? the last I saw most copies each other. OS remixes. ¬_¬

I agree about the tabs on top. They're hideous. Even Firefox does it by default. Then Firefox chasing Google's numbering system.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Well version 6.0 is a crock! It has just gone completely boob's up! Will not even load. Crashes on mouse click. A complete ***** joke.

When you try and restore and old version it tells you that it cannot do it. Cannot find an old version to go with either! Damn Annoying!

Well it can't even restore from a time machine back up! Way to go! I can no longer use Safari at all without starting from scratch again!

Not happy right now, not in the mood to be messing around with a system re-install!

Last edited:

klmaj

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
Well version 6.0 is a crock! It has just gone completely boob's up! Will not even load. Crashes on mouse click. A complete ***** joke.

When you try and restore and old version it tells you that it cannot do it. Cannot find an old version to go with either! Damn Annoying!

Well it can't even restore from a time machine back up! Way to go! I can no longer use Safari at all without starting from scratch again!

Not happy right now, not in the mood to be messing around with a system re-install!

How old is ya mac? I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" and it works flawlessly. Its so slick it gives me motion sickness when I scroll down on a graphics intensive page, I kid you not!

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
How old is ya mac? I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" and it works flawlessly. Its so slick it gives me motion sickness when I scroll down on a graphics intensive page, I kid you not!

2008 Mac Pro, so the machine isn't the problem, Apple's shoddy attention to its computers is starting to show.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
And the activity window is no more there. Seriously Apple? :-/

I believe it's all rolled up under the Web Inspector (there's page/dom/scripts [easy to find video streams under Other or Frames], cookies, network that shows activity [like a streaming file], etc.)

CK1Czar

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
I'm using it on Lion and whenever I try to open other pages in tabs, the browser will just close. Anyone else having this problem?

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008

At least Firefox with Video Download Helper can still get the job done with OSX 10.8.;)

I noticed this. I'm very disappointed - I used that feature very often.

I believe it's all rolled up under the Web Inspector (there's page/dom/scripts [easy to find video streams under Other or Frames], cookies, network that shows activity [like a streaming file], etc.)

Thanks for sharing; I didn't know that.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida

Thanks!!! Didn't know about Video Dowload Helper. It works great. Great alternative :D

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I'm running Safari 6 on Lion, and it's much faster.

But in my Top Sites, they no longer update with a star in the corner once a site has updated info on it. Anyone else missing the stars since upgrading to Safari 6 on Lion?

Yes, everyone who has v6.0 will have this. The Top Sites page update indicator (such a great situational awareness tool if you want it) used RSS to determine if the pages had updated. Since Apple ripped RSS out of Safari V6 (and its underlying support out of Mountain Lion - which is probably why Safari lost it), the Top Sites update indicator was killed as well.

I'd like to think Apple would add this back (they have the model for a browser enclosed version from their Windows Safari which contained all the plumbing in the browser), but I wouldn't bet a cent on it.

Those who really want it back and are running Lion, if you can grab a copy of the Safari v5.1.7 package from a machine that hasn't been updated to Safari v6 (Snow Leopard machines didn't get v6 and some folks will have it in time machine), you can copy it to a new directory (so it doesn't overwrite v6) in the Applications folder (only on Lion) and it will run (RSS will be back as well) - do not run both versions at the same time though as they use the same supporting files and corruption issues would be waiting - I'd guess the best course of action would be to only run the same one all the time so there's less chance for issues.

Folks on Mountain Lion are stuck short of rolling back to Lion and running v 5.1.7 (might be worth it to a few out there).

True bummer for the folks that liked this feature nobody else has.

smithchristine

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
According to techisky, there is no other way to download YouTube videos on Safari 6 (activity windows is removed from Safari). To download YouTube videos in FLV, even 1080p/720p MP4, one can install FastestTube Safari Extension.

Here is the detailed solution:
http://www.techisky.com/answers/can-i-download-youtube-flv-videos-in-safari-6-on-mountain-lion.html

The activity view disapearing is lame. I have found keepvid.com works for youtube and vimeo videos, but I have to use download helper or something in firefox to get liveleak videos without activity view, and not sure if it works as often or for misc things as the activity view, and nothing like it for safari that I know of.

wtf apple. :mad:

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
You should upgrade. Apple stopped support for Snow Leopard. There will be no security updates anymore.

Security updates aren't really all that important to me for every reasons. Our computers aren't really browsing the internet and installing non-print and production software. I upgraded my machine (Mac Pro 2009) to 10.8 a few weeks ago and it took a hit on performance. I'm very disappointed. 10.6 is still the king, I wont be upgrading any more machines any time soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.