Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blubox

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Earth
I have a ipod touch and i have a few questions.

1. Will the iPod tell you if it is overheating? Does the iPod touch overheat?

2. If it does overheat what can it do to the system?

Thank you so much!

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
1. Will the iPod tell you if it is overheating?
No.
Does the iPod touch overheat?
Not really. The only time I ever feel it (or any) heat up is towards the connector while transferring like...1000+ songs at once.
Well, under normal use it doesnt usually overheat, but if it does either it will crash, or shut down. It could damage the system and cause data loss, but I dont know.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

Thank you so much!

Tell me: why do you even worry about it? :confused:

macman44

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Why would apple design and sell for a reasonably large amount of money, a device that overheats and damages itself?

meriadoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008

Thank you so much!

I've had an iPod Touch since Xmas, and there hasn't been a hint of overheating - I regularly watch movies on it on the train, stays cold all the way.

Meriadoc

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
If it's connected to a power source and left on a flat surface it will get warm, but nowhere near hot. Normally you're carrying it around or holding it so it has air circulating around it and keeping it cool. Some leather cases may enclose it and prevent air circulation but since Apple sells these they apparently don't see heat as a problem. At any rate it's better to be safe than sorry - let it have some air and you'll be okay.

Jonathon662

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
I just got an Ipod Touch and when I was syncing my music it just quit after about 100 songs and I have like 4000 to go, so I plugged it back in and it started again from were it left off but this time I held it in my hand and it went up to 200 songs before it quit. Im guna call apple tomarrow but I think its overheating, yet it doesn't feel too hot, only around the power connecter.
What do you guys think?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I just got an Ipod Touch and when I was syncing my music it just quit after about 100 songs and I have like 4000 to go, so I plugged it back in and it started again from were it left off but this time I held it in my hand and it went up to 200 songs before it quit. Im guna call apple tomarrow but I think its overheating, yet it doesn't feel too hot, only around the power connecter.
What do you guys think?

Definitely give them a call and try to find out what's going on. That certainly isn't normal behavior. You may have gotten a lemon, in which case Apple will send you a new one.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
There are cases of batteries in similar devices developing a short and generating enough heat to catch on fire. If you're sensing a sub par battery life, and the case gets hot to the touch, I'd suspect a bad battery and get it replaced as soon as possible.

ZeroGFrame

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Overheating when not charging...

I actually just noticed my iPod Touch (30GB) getting unusually warm, and it's not plugged in to anything. Beginning to worry a little, as this has never happened. I stopped playing it and it seems to have cooled down. I'm sure it's totally out of warranty now (had it replaced for a bad battery once before too). Anyone else experience anything similar? :confused:

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I actually just noticed my iPod Touch (30GB) getting unusually warm, and it's not plugged in to anything. Beginning to worry a little, as this has never happened. I stopped playing it and it seems to have cooled down. I'm sure it's totally out of warranty now (had it replaced for a bad battery once before too). Anyone else experience anything similar? :confused:

...30GB iPod touch...?

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Why would apple design and sell for a reasonably large amount of money, a device that overheats and damages itself?

umm... they did

the 8600mbp, and ibook that overheated and combusted (they werent apples parts, but apple chose 2 put them in, as w/ the ipod parts.)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
umm... they did

the 8600mbp, and ibook that overheated and combusted (they werent apples parts, but apple chose 2 put them in, as w/ the ipod parts.)

And I'm sure that upon learning they were insufficient parts that Apple stopped using them in their computers.

junkme

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Well my ipod touch just got seriously hot - painful to touch, It's fried now. Just the white screen of death. 2 months out of warranty too. It happened while charging.

AppleAdmin

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
Dead Space is overheating my ipod

Hi, I have an ipod 4g and recently installed dead space. The game runs perfectly but after a minute or so the ipod starts getting so hot that my hands hurt (SERIOUSLY!!!), any advice of how can I treat this issue or how does this affect my ipod's life. Thanks!

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
No.

Not really. The only time I ever feel it (or any) heat up is towards the connector while transferring like...1000+ songs at once.

Well, under normal use it doesnt usually overheat, but if it does either it will crash, or shut down. It could damage the system and cause data loss, but I dont know.

Really? I heard reports of people saying that the iPod tells them that it's overheating, just like the iPhone. Never encountered the overheating screen but...

QuestorJones

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I have seen the message first hand... the iPod Touch says that it is overheating and you need to let it cool down before using it (does not let you continue). However, it only ever happened one time (but repeated even after I let it cool) so I just reset it and the error went away... I did this because it was not warm at all, even when I got the message the first time.

Have not seen the message since (even under heavy usage), so my guess is that it may have been erroneous, at least in my case...however, the ipod touch definitely does a check for overheating. (at least in 2nd Gen iPod Touch)

Last edited:

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
If it does overheat, it will tell you that it is too hot and to turn it off, but you shouldn't have any problems with that. When playing CPU-intensive games such as Infinity Blade or Real Racing 2, my iPod touch (4th gen) can get pretty warm, especially if I have a case on it, but it never gets really "hot". Just make sure the heat can dissipate (i.e, don't leave it on your bed/pillow and make sure there's plenty of air circulation)

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
i have a ipt 4 and yes, it will get warm when you use it alot. though if it overheats from use then you have an issue. i have seen the overheated screen once and that was when i left the ipod in a car for around 10 minutes, i pressed the lock button and it said, "ipod temperature is to hot, please wait" or something along those lines, any way if that pops then just wait till it cools enough to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.