Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:11 AM   #1
northy124
macrumors 68020

PS3 Media Server and Stuttering?

I have gotten a new PS3 and I have decided to use it as media player for my iTunes purchases and encodes (DRM removed) however it seems to stutter... no matter what the file is it stutters.

I get that 1080p will stutter over WiFi but 720p and 480p? could they be transcoding despite not needing to be? if I find an ethernet cable and plug that in will help with stuttering?

Is there anyway to transfer the files directly to the PS3? that would be a lot easier IMO.

Cheers.
northy124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:45 AM   #2
braddicted2mac
macrumors member

I used to put all video files in MP4 format using Vuze torrent dowloading software to convert the files. I havent streamed to PS3 in a long time as PS3 put a software update which doesn't allow some downloaded videos to play longer than 30 minutes without cutting the sound off. anyways hope that helps
braddicted2mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:45 AM   #3
ljonesj
macrumors 6502a

use a hard line for the ps3 ive had problems of stuttering and buffering when i used my ps3 wireless when i went wired it was fine
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
garybUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljonesj View Post
use a hard line for the ps3 ive had problems of stuttering and buffering when i used my ps3 wireless when i went wired it was fine
have a look at your CPU / Ram usage when streaming if it's high then it's transcoding, PS3's are only 802.11g iirc (my PS3 Slim was) use a ethernet on both PS3 and the computer.

Also sometimes they need to transcode the audio track that forces the whole thing to be re-coded. nightmare.
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater