Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
The only one that looks even half decent to me is the white one with the black band.

Other then that, the rest look pretty terrible. No offence to you, just my tastes.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I would totally go for the black screen with the silver case. Only exception would be that I would keep the buttons silver and then make the rear panels black too.

Ever since I saw the white/silver in person I've been kicking myself over going with the black. I wish apple had not chosen to black anodize the case. Of course, the thing I like about the black is the framing effect/contrast that it gives to the screen and the fact that if you run non-iPhone 5 optimized apps you don't see the letterboxing as readily. But I would jump for a silver casing...

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
The only one that looks even half decent to me is the white one with the black band.

Other then that, the rest look pretty terrible. No offence to you, just my tastes.

I'm not offended man. Half the fun is trying absurd things to see how they turn out. Some people hate it some people like it but either way I asked for your opinion to hear your opinion, not to find out of everyone agrees with me and to get angry at people who have a different personal preference.

The black with the white screen was my least favorite though. Not that it looks bad but the black with the silver looked awesome to me.

----------

I would totally go for the black screen with the silver case. Only exception would be that I would keep the buttons silver and then make the rear panels black too.

Ever since I saw the white/silver in person I've been kicking myself over going with the black. I wish apple had not chosen to black anodize the case. Of course, the thing I like about the black is the framing effect/contrast that it gives to the screen and the fact that if you run non-iPhone 5 optimized apps you don't see the letterboxing as readily. But I would jump for a silver casing...

I never thought about the blacks being less contrasting with non iPhone 5 optimized apps. Your right though. And I started kicking myself over the black too. The whites are so sleek with the bare aluminum.

The cool thing is that there are so many ideas and choices for color combinations to personalize it. I bet sometime soon we start seeing kits for them.

----------

Awesome job. it's refreshing to see it done right

Thanks Opstech :D

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I want the white face with the black frame and buttons. If possible, do you take donations to switch them out for fans? Lol.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I want the white face with the black frame and buttons. If possible, do you take donations to switch them out for fans? Lol.

Well I could, but the only problem is you can't find the parts to do it. I had to switch parts on two different phones to get it. Do you have an iPhone 5 now? Is it black? I know you can get a white screen for it and I could see if I can find silver buttons that you could buy online.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
Well I could, but the only problem is you can't find the parts to do it. I had to switch parts on two different phones to get it. Do you have an iPhone 5 now? Is it black? I know you can get a white screen for it and I could see if I can find silver buttons that you could buy online.

I have the black iphone 5. I want the white face and all black frame, buttons. And the black home button. I live in central California. Let me know if its possible. Or if anyone wants to jump in on this

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I have the black iphone 5. I want the white face and all black frame, buttons. And the black home button. I live in central California. Let me know if its possible. Or if anyone wants to jump in on this

Oh yeah that would be easy with what you have. So you want to keep the buttons black? The silver onces you can find here for $9 http://www.ebay.com/itm/3in1-Silver-iPhone-5-Complete-Side-Buttons-Set-Power-Volume-Mute-Switch-/140890035826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cdb35672

You'll need a white screen and you can keep the home button that you already have. The screen can be found http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Iphone-5-Compatible-Front-Housing-LCD-Touch-Digitizer-Screen-Assembly-USA-/230880746952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c1909dc8 They're costly but the price will go down quickly. Probably under $100 in a couple months.

You would only have to remove the screen and home button then switch the home button and transfer the mic, front facing cam, proximity ribbon cable to the new screen then put it back in the housing. It's really easy and I have a tutorial on my YouTube channel to do it. If you wanted to replace the buttons you can remove the buttons without removing anything but the screen and battery.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Oh yeah that would be easy with what you have. So you want to keep the buttons black? The silver onces you can find here for $9 http://www.ebay.com/itm/3in1-Silver-iPhone-5-Complete-Side-Buttons-Set-Power-Volume-Mute-Switch-/140890035826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cdb35672

You'll need a white screen and you can keep the home button that you already have. The screen can be found http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Iphone-5-Compatible-Front-Housing-LCD-Touch-Digitizer-Screen-Assembly-USA-/230880746952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c1909dc8 They're costly but the price will go down quickly. Probably under $100 in a couple months.

You would only have to remove the screen and home button then switch the home button and transfer the mic, front facing cam, proximity ribbon cable to the new screen then put it back in the housing. It's really easy and I have a tutorial on my YouTube channel to do it. If you wanted to replace the buttons you can remove the buttons without removing anything but the screen and battery.
I have a black iPhone I want a white body and black buttons :((((((((

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I have a black iPhone I want a white body and black buttons :((((((((

You would have to wait until they manufacture an aftermarket housing. Then you could use the black parts. Or see if you can find a water damaged one that doesn't work or one that's FUBARed but still has good cosmetic parts for cheap.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
At first I thought I would like the white screen and black buttons and panels better but after doing the straight black screen, I agree, definitely the best looking. :)

Yeah and the black band with the white front ain't half bad either...

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I only like the black screen with black buttons and white bezel & back...reminds me of the old 3G & 3GS. :rolleyes:
Anyway, you are really good at this, congrats and best of luck ! :p

Last edited:

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
This is getting boring. It was a cool thing in the first thread.

Georgie, you do realize there is a way to not view things that bore you. It's called, don't click on it. The fact that you took the time to click the thread, watch the video and then comment demonstrates that you had nothing better to do, meaning that out of all the things you could be doing at that particular moment you chose this... Seems a tad contradictory don't you think?

Like iPhoneTy said in the video he did a second video because his viewers requested it. That means he is engaging his audience and providing what they ask for which is what makes channels like his successful.

I think these videos are great and love that there are people out there who think outside the box and try absurd things that have never been done just to see how they turn out. That's how great things happen. I'm sorry you can't appreciate that.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The best color for me is black on the front, metal back of the white iphone with the top and the bottom also in black.

bmwjeff

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
do you know where i can get the black plastic panels that go on the backside where the antennas emit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.