Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube has launched a new app called Capture to make it easier for users to shoot and share video. The app is one of many competing for the unofficial title of 'Instagram-for-videos'.

youtubecapture.jpg
The app is set up for quick and easy recording, basic editing with color correction, stabilization, trimming, and music tracks, as well as the ability to share videos on YouTube, Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
Once opening Capture, users can shoot new video or use existing footage from their camera roll; from there they can apply some automatic color correction filters, trim the video, and even apply a soundtrack. The app automatically starts uploading video as soon as you're done shooting, and it also helpfully includes a landscape lock reminder to help cut down the blight of vertically-shot videos that are being taken these days.
YouTube Capture is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube Launches 'Capture' App to Easily Film and Share Videos

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
No "Do Not Attempt"?

I've seen ads with people simply driving cars around parking lots at low speed show a "Do Not Attempt" banner. Here we have people lighting dozens of sparklers using blow torches. Some of those sparklers are attached directly to a human being.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Oh, oh.

Glad to see a big company make moves to capture a market instead of all these start ups. Video is still something I don't care for however.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Google are on the ball. Apple should hire them to help fix ios 6 the windows vista of ios updates. Or help with ios 7.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
Goodness! Get ready for the onslaught of pointless and poorly edited YouTube videos! :rolleyes: ;) :D

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
YouTube is becoming a wasteland.

It doesn't work with HTML5 anymore.

It's flooded with ads everywhere and last friday even clicking on the "play" button of a video opened a new browser window for a 3rd-party game. :rolleyes:

All my future videos will be uploaded to Vimeo.

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
No "Do Not Attempt"?

I've seen ads with people simply driving cars around parking lots at low speed show a "Do Not Attempt" banner. Here we have people lighting dozens of sparklers using blow torches. Some of those sparklers are attached directly to a human being.

If you seriously need an "do not attempt" for you to not try to recreate something you saw on tv that is clearly dangerous, without doing your own research before hand, then you deserve everything that goes wrong.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
What's wrong with vertical videos? Maybe the movie and TV industry has just been doing it wrong this whole time?

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
How about working to fix the screwed up youtube layout instead of pumping out useless apps.

Every time a company does something new, there's always the "why don't they do this important thing instead?" comment. You do realize that not everyone from Google or YouTube was involved in doing this app and that not everyone can work on a single feature or fix? It's not like Apple went "ok guys, our maps aren't very good so we'll have to stop working on iPad Minis and put everyone on fixing our maps".

Regarding the layout, which one do you mean? Because they just came up with a new one (or at least they're testing a few different ones). The one I have works fine for me.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
YouTube is becoming a wasteland.

It doesn't work with HTML5 anymore with Safari. It's flooded with ads everywhere and last friday even clicking on the "play" button of a video opened a new browser window for a 3rd-party game. :rolleyes:

All my future videos will be uploaded to Vimeo.

Its 2012 and you're not using adblock? Even my Nexus phone has adblock installed.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
If you seriously need an "do not attempt" for you to not try to recreate something you saw on tv that is clearly dangerous, without doing your own research before hand, then you deserve everything that goes wrong.

Lawyers kind of screwed up natural selection...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The built-in camera app has been doing this for years!

I'm pretty sure the built-in camera ap doesn't automatically upload to more than one service nor does color correction, add musical beds or have stabilization...

tylernol

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
youtube has become the place where you have to watch 1 minute of ads for 30 seconds of content.. I'll stick to putting my videos on dropbox or vimeo.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

I used to feel this way but I've recently changed my mind on this issue.

Specifically, it's not the shooter's fault, it's Youtube's fault for forcing vertical videos into a widescreen frame. (Which, yes, is ugly.) If they just rotated the viewer and had a different layout for 'vertical video' pages, they would look just fine.

What lead me to this thinking is that online video is not always TV or movies. Sometimes they are, but sometimes they're more like moving photography. And we let still photographers shoot vertically...why can't certain videos be too?

My Challenge: Watch this video and tell me if it would have been better shot widescreen.

Rocket Launch

I don't see how that specific video would be better wide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.