Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:55 PM   #26
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

Grrr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
YouTube has launched
YouTube is not a company. It's like saying "Mac has launched...."

/rant
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:04 PM   #27
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminemdrdre00 View Post
The best feature is that they force you to shoot in landscape mode!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeAce View Post
What's wrong with vertical videos? Maybe the movie and TV industry has just been doing it wrong this whole time?
I'm wondering the same thing as ChromeAce. Sounds like most people complain about videos with more lines vertically than horizontally because YouTube handles them poorly. Is that all? Either that or 'because the things I know about have all been that way' (also known as 'the worst reason to do anything ever').

If it makes sense to frame something vertically, why not? Especially if you're just sharing it among phones, where vertical is a more common orientation anyway.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinhd View Post
YouTube is not a company. It's like saying "Mac has launched...."

/rant
YouTube is an LLC (and a wholly owned subsidiary of Google). So...they very much are a company.

Last edited by swarmster; Dec 17, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
swarmster is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:13 PM   #28
StuddedLeather
macrumors 6502a

The most important question: Will the videos being uploaded be in full HD?!

If so this app could be amazing and convenient!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:21 PM   #29
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

The best thing about Apple products are the Google apps.
CapnJackGig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:22 PM   #30
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
YouTube is becoming a wasteland.

It's flooded with ads everywhere and last friday even clicking on the "play" button of a video opened a new browser window for a 3rd-party game.
I haven't had the same experience using YouTube in recent days.

I suggest installing the AdBlock Safari extension and blocking pop-up windows in Safari. See if it improves your YouTube viewing...
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:26 PM   #31
AnthonyCM
macrumors regular

Great, more idiots now encouraged to take out their phone to shoot a crappy video of a concert they're at.

Attention everybody: Nobody wants to see your poorly filmed video, and I sure as hell don't want you standing in front of me with your phone out while I'm trying to enjoy a concert. Please go back to enjoying the actual moment and not having to film every little thing.

Okay, rant over (but, seriously, can we please ban cell phones at concert venues?).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:28 PM   #32
justjohn025
macrumors regular

Why don't they just add this to the Youtube app?
justjohn025 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:31 PM   #33
hummus
macrumors member

Why not just bake this into the YouTube app?
hummus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:35 PM   #34
stepshows
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus View Post
Why not just bake this into the YouTube app?
Precisely
stepshows is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:49 PM   #35
SeanMcg
macrumors 6502

Human vision is "widescreen."

I'm an amateur photographer (cited as background not as expertise), and I remember as a kid the whole world of options that opened up simply by turning the camera 90 degrees. As I got older and started watching people around me taking pictures, it intrigued me how this one simple little trick was lost on so many. When I would recommend a vertical shot (think, family in front of the castle at Walt Disney World), people would be amazed at the picture tha could be obtained.

The design of the cameras did a lot to force this. The 35mm format and cameras were designed for the landscape nature of our vision and our horizontally-oriented hands. Other formats, meant more for studio photography, which often made their way into vertically oriented magazines, weren't tied to this same constraint. Thanks to the design of camera phones, vertical has become much more normal. Unfortunately, that extends to video from these devices as well.

Vertical is fine for still photography. The image isn't changing so it gives our widescreen vision a chance to take everything in. Video and movies, though, are meant to be an extension of our eys in the real world. Even if the movie is shot vertically, the image is presented to eyes that are used to seing horizontally. It forces an uncomfortable translation.
SeanMcg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:48 PM   #36
chairguru22
macrumors 6502a

This should be a part of the existing Youtube app, i don't need another one... same goes with Google, facebook, etc Apps..
chairguru22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:11 PM   #37
Swift
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What's wrong with vertical videos? Maybe the movie and TV industry has just been doing it wrong this whole time?
The movie screen doesn't fit that way!

Actually, still photographers use vertical all the time. Portrait mode. Talking to someone while showing their figure, from head to waist. Nothing's the matter with it.

All this onslaught of well-written apps, it's great, but I know what I don't like. Install the gmail app and it changes your "got mail" beep to a thunk. Can't figure out how to change it back, at least for Mail mail.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMcg View Post
Vertical is fine for still photography. The image isn't changing so it gives our widescreen vision a chance to take everything in. Video and movies, though, are meant to be an extension of our eys in the real world. Even if the movie is shot vertically, the image is presented to eyes that are used to seing horizontally. It forces an uncomfortable translation.
I don't think you need a fancy philosophical explanation. You had to put a movie screen in a room for hundreds of people. You weren't going to switch the movie screen orientation for portrait mode. Then TVs, the early ones, weighed 200 pounds. But a smartphone is a personal space camera. A series of interviews with a bunch of people filmed in "portrait mode" is quite interesting to me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

Nope. 720p max.
Swift is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:24 PM   #38
Bilbo63
macrumors 6502

Capture? Well, they got the name right. LOL That's a Google-appropriate name for sure.
Bilbo63 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:34 PM   #39
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

I don't think I could bring myself to do even the most basic of video editing on my phone - no matter how swish the UI was.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:58 PM   #40
MikeTHIS
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

Just logged in to ask the same thing!

Edit:

Bah, I see 720. I'll stick to waiting to upload from my laptop I suppose.
MikeTHIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:10 PM   #41
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Its 2012 and you're not using adblock? Even my Nexus phone has adblock installed.
You do realize that if everyone used an adblocker then services like YouTube would either have to start charging its users or go out of business?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:16 PM   #42
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
How about working to fix the screwed up youtube layout instead of pumping out useless apps.
I know, it looks like it failed to load properly!!! And they also ruined the channel design before that. Imagine if Apple owned YouTube and did that. They'd get burned at the stake for making a mistake that bad. I don't even understand why; Google also has very high expectations of quality. I always thought they were doing an excellent job with YouTube until these horrible developments.

P.S. A lot of users (including me) on all types of browsers and OSs have been reporting problems of some videos not showing up at all in YouTube after the new layout. There's just a black square instead of the player. Did they hire Microsoft to do this or something??!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
You do realize that if everyone used an adblocker then services like YouTube would either have to start charging its users or go out of business?
We're not everyone
Besides, if everyone was like me except that they didn't use AdBlock, nobody would buy anything anyway from the ads (or, in some cases, boycott the advertised product), so ads would not work. Also, if everyone was like me, the "fashion" industry would be dead.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminemdrdre00 View Post
The best feature is that they force you to shoot in landscape mode!
That's great. Portrait mode is extremely annoying. So many great videos have been ruined.

----------

The ability to do this has basically been there for a while, but this gives advanced features. You could already upload the video without enhancements:

Last edited by Morshu9001; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Morshu9001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:54 PM   #43
theumang
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I always had wondered why Youtube didn't have a mobile video creation app to begin with. Seems like a no brainer.
Exactly, what were they doing all this while? the iPhone 3 could & later could capture vid, it has been so long!
Oh well, @least now they are here... but the time lost is still lost
theumang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:16 PM   #44
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
YouTube is becoming a wasteland.

It doesn't work with HTML5 anymore.

It's flooded with ads everywhere and last friday even clicking on the "play" button of a video opened a new browser window for a 3rd-party game.

All my future videos will be uploaded to Vimeo.
What else would you expect since Google bought them? That's the Google way.
More ads, more gimmicks, more money for google. Google is not about quality it is about mass market share and cheap advertising for the mass market.
MacDav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:41 PM   #45
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
I'd rather be charged for something good, than not charged for something bad.
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:13 AM   #46
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
When people come with eyes on top of each other vertically instead of side-by-side horizontally, then vertical videos will be OK. Until then, NEVER!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:46 AM   #47
AirThis
macrumors 6502

Is there anything this new app can do that splice can't? Or am I missing something here?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:52 AM   #48
Habtai
macrumors newbie

I am searching for the best software's to hare video. I go reviews about youtube, Most probably I received less votes to support youtube. So, If anyone had an experienced regarding this sharing video, Please suggest me which is the best. Any kind of suggestions are greatly accepted.

eritrean news

Last edited by Habtai; Dec 21, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Habtai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:49 AM   #49
louis.b
Banned

Omg this is so revolutionary !!! Another hit by google !!! Why has no one thought of this before?????
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:48 AM   #50
dontpannic
macrumors 6502

No no no no no YouTube, please! You should be getting rid of that godforsaken useless sick inducing crap producing 'stabilise' function, not letting people use it more often!

It's a crap implementation that means I can no longer watch some videos on YouTube, as it induces motion sickness!
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion