Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Taking a picture today I noticed what looked like sensor dust on my iphone. At first I thought perhaps it was lint, a smudge, or maybe a dried rain drop. After thorough cleaning, it was still there! Is it possible that there's sensor dust? Odder still is that I haven't noticed it until now and I've had one since released. I would hope there's not space enough around the lens to allow dust in like a DSLR or other ILC.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

While doing some testing, I also noticed what appeared to be a cluster of dead/stuck pixels. They don't look like a typical dead/stuck pixel, at least nothing I'm used to on a camera, but it's noticeable in photos.

Here is an example of both
37495038368-vi.jpg

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Taking a picture today I noticed what looked like sensor dust on my iphone. At first I thought perhaps it was lint, a smudge, or maybe a dried rain drop. After thorough cleaning, it was still there! Is it possible that there's sensor dust? Odder still is that I haven't noticed it until now and I've had one since released. I would hope there's not space enough around the lens to allow dust in like a DSLR or other ILC.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

While doing some testing, I also noticed what appeared to be a cluster of dead/stuck pixels. They don't look like a typical dead/stuck pixel, at least nothing I'm used to on a camera, but it's noticeable in photos.

Here is an example of both

Return it. They will give you a working model.

Apple is great when rare stuff like this happens.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, I have seen at least 5 phones with this prob. Apple will replace it no problem.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I'll call up the Apple store to ensure they have replacements. Downside, of course, is that I'll have to order new skins. Hate having to do that.

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA
My iPhone 5 got alot than you , just took it to Apple Store yesterday and they replaced for me a brand new one( not refurbished )

Just tell them you want to check serial number before they open the box for replacement iPhone. If you check and pop up : PLEASE ACTIVE YOUR IPHONE ...... That will be brand new

If checked and see that is activated . That will be refurbished :)

Link: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Same happened to my phone, I'm gonna bring it in for a swap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 218

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I have one small spec of dust in the camera housing.. however, it does not impact my photos. If it gets worse, I will definitely get it checked out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.