Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayethetiense

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Google maps kills the music when the voice comes on. I have to go back to music and press play again. Is there something I'm missing? Shouldn't it fade the music out, say the directions, and then fade the music back in?

darrinaw

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2007
So it took Apple pulling the native app for them to finally give iOS users turn by turn? I thought the native version got me lost more than Apple maps did and I am not really impressed with the new version as I think Waze or my pricey Garmin app does a much better job for me in Chicagoland personally.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I'm one of the 10 million who downloaded it, but after trying it out, I'm just going to keep it as a back-up for now, and I will probably eventually delete it.

But not just yet.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Go to Tokyo (especially one of the busiest train station in the world, Shinjuku) and Hong Kong, 2 of the most densely populated cities in the world and see the difference between Google Maps and Apple Maps. You don't need a study to show that, because Apple maps basically has nothing. It's very easy to compare.

Out of curiosity, I compared Tokyo on both maps and I'm not seeing the huge difference. If anything, I'm seeing more POI's, details, such as grassy areas, better color coding (pink for hospitals), etc. on Apple maps... all while maintaining a less busy look. There are some places that are easier to identify in Google maps, thanks to company logos, though it's only helpful if you can recognize them. Either Apple made some huge strides in the past couple of months or it's possible that because both show different details at different zoom levels you may have missed the details that have always existed on Apple maps.

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    195.2 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    309 KB · Views: 62

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Apple's Maps will mature and be and feel the Maps application to use...Google news has been my home page for more than 10 years - unfortunately google has become the web's 800lb gorilla and like I did with Walmart (I've not been in a Walmart for five years) I determined to limit my googled life to a minimum-WHY O WHY do they feel they must "rule the world" goodbye Google...

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
hi,
anyone knows if google maps is available in Dubai UAE, or is this just a US release of the app. i cant for the love of god find it on the Emirati app store here in Dubai, UAE.
thanks

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple's Maps will mature and be and feel the Maps application to use...Google news has been my home page for more than 10 years - unfortunately google has become the web's 800lb gorilla and like I did with Walmart (I've not been in a Walmart for five years) I determined to limit my googled life to a minimum-WHY O WHY do they feel they must "rule the world" goodbye Google...

You are running out of choices. Now that Apple has become mobile device's 800lb gorilla you should stop buying their stuff either. Good thing is Chinese manufacturers are getting better and better at doing this stuff.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Crappy UI for Google Maps? Seriously? It's easier, faster, and more efficient than Apple Maps.

I'm glad you think it's better/easier... I'm sure at least a few others do as well...

Not everyone agrees..

One of my customers, that was unhappy w/ new Apple Maps, was just as unhappy when trying the new Google Maps.

All he really wanted was a feature found in the old maps app. An easy way go step by step from point a to point b. Now, this is not a technophobe, this is a chemist that wrote code for his TI calc for chemical synthesis formulations. This is someone that got a IIci connected to his companies as400 after being told by the IT guy that it was impossible. He called and was frustrated that the one thing he wanted back, wasn't anywhere to be found in the new app.

I stared at my phone, he stared at his and ranted. I *finally* saw it, the tiny, almost invisible, triangle to step through the trip before starting the turn by turn navigation.

Any UI that hides something that people who travel allot will tell you is an important feature, is a crappy UI. Hidden features = crappy UI design.

Part of this could be Apple's fault. Apple could enforce tighter control over how apps communicate to the user via the UI. We could go back to the good ole days pre-MacOS X / Pre-iOS when the Apple HIG actually seemed to matter... This would improve allot more than just the maps apps on iOS...

As far as your glowing comments? It sure as Hell isn't any faster on my phone than Apple Maps. If anything, it's *slower*. Easier? At what, exactly? Besides the example above, it seemed pretty much like any other map app on iOS.. And how are you qualifying efficient? Bandwidth used? Launch times?

What it *is* better at? The map data is actually correct! Praise Jebus! This should not feel like such a miracle tho..

I've used it for the time I was on the phone w/ the customer, then driving after as a test, on my way to another customer. I don't see anything that would make me switch from Navigon as my turn by turn.

In terms of just plain old maps? Neither Apple nor Google maps apps right now give me what I want. A decent UI with accurate map data...

And neither offer better turn by turn than Navigon...

I guess I just expect better than what I'm seeing. I'm seeing shades of crappy Windows UI programming here... I think that's sad.. and pathetic.. both that we have to put up with it, and that people seem *eager* to put up with it.

Git off my lawn, yer makin me feel old!

Last edited:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
With this said... Google Maps isn't all its cracked up to be.

I will admit that Apple Maps was very frustrating upon first release. I have never gotten wrong directions before - mainly frustrated in regards to POI search. It seemed Google was much better at producing relevant or ANY results, where as at first launch Apple only returned matches if they were a 100% match (not very good when you are unsure of a name or place).

However, this is where Apple Maps has steadily improved since its launch in iOS 6, and they now show related or relevant results that don't always 100% match the search (in a good way). So much so that Apple Maps has performed better than Google Maps in a few POI requests. When I went to Santacon in NYC this past weekend and had no idea where the "Pier 84" starting meetup was I found one such instance that supports this. Wanting to try out Google Maps I searched for it - and wasn't really given a clearcut answer to where it was.

Comically, I switched to Apple maps, searched the same entry, and got an exact and much more clearcut result. See below:

Google Maps:

Apple Maps:

As you can see, Google brought up "Pier 84 Supply Co". I was unsure if that was where the Pier was located, and later discovered that Google Maps had the pier labeled as a "Dog Park". If you look at Apple Maps result for the same search, it comes up with a much better answer and correctly has the pier labeled and noted as a park.

I then used Apple Maps to navigate me to the destination. It did so flawlessly and it was the first time I have relied on it 100% for turn by turn directions to get me to a place I was unfamiliar with (rather than simply testing it out on release). I was very impressed, especially with the lock screen integration and lighting the screen when directions are being given temporarily when its locked.

As such, I will definitely be using Apple Maps as my default and first-to mapping service. Hopefully I won't run into any problems, but if I do, I can just check Google quick. I would rather use Apple Maps though going forward for the improved integration and to make it better/more accurate. Not to mention, I'm not exactly a "fan" of the new Google Maps UI. I don't like how the names for the pins show up at the bottom now instead of on the pin, and to operate the app is a bit cumbersome.

The problem with Apple Maps is that for every one thing it locates correctly, there are likely 50 things it locates incorrectly. I live in Metro Atlanta and I found Apple Maps to be wrong four out of five times the first week or two I used it. With those odds, I was better off relying solely on the sun as a navigational aid than relying on Apple Maps.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Crappy UI for Google Maps? Seriously? It's easier, faster, and more efficient than Apple Maps.

That's a matter of opinion. Personally I think each UI is quite nice. Google's app (as is usually the case) does have a bit more utility with its public transit data. None of this matters to me much though. I bought an awesome GPS app ages ago that completely destroys both Apple's and Google's apps. It's called MotionX GPS incase anyone's wondering. I swear by it. :p

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
More macrumors spin - somehow manages to represent the story as pro apple. I am very much an Apple fan but can accept their failings (and their competitor's better offerings).

The article says nothing of the sort. Oh how dare MacRumors (a sight for Apple enthusiasts) to say ANYTHING positive about the almighty evil, inhuman giant Apple incorporated. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
So it took Apple pulling the native app for them to finally give iOS users turn by turn? I thought the native version got me lost more than Apple maps did and I am not really impressed with the new version as I think Waze or my pricey Garmin app does a much better job for me in Chicagoland personally.

Yeah. Sure. Of course. But that's not true. Apple signed a contract with Google a long time ago that DID NOT include turn-by-turn. And guess who wrote the code for Maps when Google was the backend? Hint. It's Apple! With one year remaining in the contract, Apple wants turn-by-turn direction. Google, in turn, says sure but we also want more prominent branding and inclusion of Google Latitude in your Maps app. Apple says no. Google says no. Apple terminates the contract. Apple create its own mapping today. Google releases its Google Map now. Both companies now moved on. Apple got itself into this situation.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
The number of iOS 6 downloads has likely increased quite a bit over the last three months, indicating that the majority of iOS users have chosen to stick with Apple's Maps application rather than switching to Google Maps, despite the rampant complaints about the quality of the built-in app.
The majority of iOS users might not use their smartphone for navigation at all, but still own and use a dedicated navigation device. :p

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah. Sure. Of course. But that's not true. Apple signed a contract with Google a long time ago that DID NOT include turn-by-turn. And guess who wrote the code for Maps when Google was the backend? Hint. It's Apple! With one year remaining in the contract, Apple wants turn-by-turn direction. Google, in turn, says sure but we also want more prominent branding and inclusion of Google Latitude in your Maps app. Apple says no. Google says no. Apple terminates the contract. Apple create its own mapping today. Google releases its Google Map now. Both companies now moved on. Apple got itself into this situation.
Wait, you start by claiming it wasn't true that Apple needed to pull the native app for Google to provide turn by turn, and then went on to show that Apple needed to pull the native app for Google to provide turn by turn.

Before Apple dropped Google as their native map provider, Google wouldn't provide an app with turn by turn directions despite having promised such an app to the public years ago. Now they have. Sure Google tried to use their maps as leverage to hollow out Apple's services and Apple resisted, but there was no reason I'm aware of (besides predation) that prevented Google from providing turn by turn in the native app, or shipping exactly the Google Maps app that we have today.

Apple only got themselves into this situation by partnering with Google while the Google CEO was friendly and sitting on their board of directors. It served them well for a time. Then they got themselves out of that situation by finding other sources for their data. Now all of a sudden the Earth shifted on its axis, people can't find a wawa anymore, and the Google horde has descended on us and will block all further forum communications until we all deny having ever seen Apple Maps do anything right.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
Just going to throw my hat in the ring here but after having used google maps for a week now I find myself going back to iOS maps as it just works faster and is better at searching, might just be that I'm UK based or that I'm on iOS 6.1b4 but I far prefer Apple maps, never had an issue with them.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
Meh I just downloaded it, tbf I don't see nothing wrong with having two maps apps on my iPhone, but it is appalling that it took apple to kick google out of bed for them to come back with a half decent maps app. ;)

happyseasons

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Decorating Your Bedroom

Create a relaxing atmosphere in your bedroom. Keep it organized with special hangers, like bamboo hangers or cedar hangers. Tips for decorating your bedroom.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Why is it so hard for some to just say - hey - that's great. I prefer Apple Maps - but it's good that those that want something else have an alternative.

No - instead it's all about having to tear the stat apart. If you downloaded it and don't use it - good for you. If you're happy with Apple maps - again - good for you. If you're happier with Google maps - again - good for you.
That's not the point. I *want* Google maps to be great. There was never a problem with it when it was the only map application on the phone. This isn't about Apple vs. Google, it's about the way the article was worded. One of the most high-profile companies in the world posts a free application that's an alternative to something that many people feel is inadequate and that's "successful?" Um, maybe if they charged $1.99 and 10 million people downloaded it, that would be successful, sure. But how is just standing around handing out free candy a "success?"

And my original point still stands... if a map app can't even search by your contacts - probably the most basic function a map app on a phone could have - how is that "successful?" It's broken just like Apple's solution is.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The majority of users have chosen to stay with apple maps? I'd say the majority of users don't use maps and/ or don't know there are other options.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
That's not the point. I *want* Google maps to be great. There was never a problem with it when it was the only map application on the phone. This isn't about Apple vs. Google, it's about the way the article was worded. One of the most high-profile companies in the world posts a free application that's an alternative to something that many people feel is inadequate and that's "successful?" Um, maybe if they charged $1.99 and 10 million people downloaded it, that would be successful, sure. But how is just standing around handing out free candy a "success?"

And my original point still stands... if a map app can't even search by your contacts - probably the most basic function a map app on a phone could have - how is that "successful?" It's broken just like Apple's solution is.

It's probably rushed to the App Store before the holidays. I'd rather have the current "broken" Google Maps ASAP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.