Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Personally I am very happy that Google Maps is finally back. Apple maps search stinks big time.

The Macrumors spin of the story is one of the most pathetic ones I have read recently. Not only do they compare apples with oranges (notified OS upgrade with an app release), but also assume that every none download was due to the a conscious decision in favor of Apple Maps. What a ridiculous stretch.

T.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
Though 10 million is a significant number,*it still represents just a fraction of iOS users. Only three days after iOS 6 was released on September 21, Apple announced that it had been downloaded onto more than 100 million devices.

The number of iOS 6 downloads has likely increased quite a bit over the last three months, indicating that the majority of iOS users have chosen to stick with Apple's Maps application rather than switching to Google Maps, despite the rampant complaints about the quality of the built-in app.

i don't think everyone who upgraded to ios 6 was because they wanted the new maps app. ios6 brought several new stuff beside the maps app.
comparing the success of an app over the downloads of an os is not fair.
some late macrumors news have a tendency to fanboy-ism i dislike.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Streetview is terribly implemented. Why can't you just drop a pin onto any street any more? You have to find a local business and traipse around from there. :mad:

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Streetview is terribly implemented. Why can't you just drop a pin onto any street any more? You have to find a local business and traipse around from there. :mad:

this, I hope they sort this out.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Google suggested this is better than the android version. Having just switched from a SG2, I'd love to know how!

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I downloaded it to see what the fuss was about but deleted it shortly after.

I guess i'm one of the 10 Million then :rolleyes:

boomhaueruk

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
There seems to be some odd results on that page. The Google Map app doesn't even feature in the UK top 10 but it's the UK's number 1 free iPhone app in iTunes. :confused:

View attachment 384180 View attachment 384181

For some reason that chart you have for the UK is from 2010.
VLC isn't available on any app store, hasn't been since about December 2010.

Some kind of subtle gag about the UK being behind the times perhaps? :cool:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
For some reason that chart you have for the UK is from 2010.
VLC isn't available on any app store, hasn't been since about December 2010.

Some kind of subtle gag about the UK being behind the times perhaps? :cool:

Who knows. The American No.1 was also released in 2010 so I'd assume it's simply a messed up web page.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
It would be interesting to be able to look 6.5 years into the future and see how far ahead Apple Maps will be compared to Google after the same time to develop.

6.5 years from now Google Maps will be that much further aheads than Apples. I love Apple, but they're simply not a maps company. certain things need to be left to other people. Apple simply isn't good at doing everything.

bdavisjnr

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Meh

I downloaded it, hate it just as much as the new Apple Maps.

New Apple Maps - great UI, crappy data.

New Google Maps - crappy UI, great data...

How about you two kids kiss and make up and give us one map app with a great UI and great data? Is that asking to damn much? Really?

And git off my lawn!!!

Ding! Ding! Ding! Couldn't agree more

Candyman8019

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
i don't think everyone who upgraded to ios 6 was because they wanted the new maps app. ios6 brought several new stuff beside the maps app.
comparing the success of an app over the downloads of an os is not fair.
some late macrumors news have a tendency to fanboy-ism i dislike.

Not to mention that out of those 100 million iOS downloads, a good chunk would be for iPad...which Google Maps isn't available for, in addition to Apple TV which also uses iOS.

johnny5

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
I'm glad you think it's better/easier... I'm sure at least a few others do as well...

Not everyone agrees..

One of my customers, that was unhappy w/ new Apple Maps, was just as unhappy when trying the new Google Maps.

All he really wanted was a feature found in the old maps app. An easy way go step by step from point a to point b. Now, this is not a technophobe, this is a chemist that wrote code for his TI calc for chemical synthesis formulations. This is someone that got a IIci connected to his companies as400 after being told by the IT guy that it was impossible. He called and was frustrated that the one thing he wanted back, wasn't anywhere to be found in the new app.

I stared at my phone, he stared at his and ranted. I *finally* saw it, the tiny, almost invisible, triangle to step through the trip before starting the turn by turn navigation.

Any UI that hides something that people who travel allot will tell you is an important feature, is a crappy UI. Hidden features = crappy UI design.

Part of this could be Apple's fault. Apple could enforce tighter control over how apps communicate to the user via the UI. We could go back to the good ole days pre-MacOS X / Pre-iOS when the Apple HIG actually seemed to matter... This would improve allot more than just the maps apps on iOS...

As far as your glowing comments? It sure as Hell isn't any faster on my phone than Apple Maps. If anything, it's *slower*. Easier? At what, exactly? Besides the example above, it seemed pretty much like any other map app on iOS.. And how are you qualifying efficient? Bandwidth used? Launch times?

What it *is* better at? The map data is actually correct! Praise Jebus! This should not feel like such a miracle tho..

I've used it for the time I was on the phone w/ the customer, then driving after as a test, on my way to another customer. I don't see anything that would make me switch from Navigon as my turn by turn.

In terms of just plain old maps? Neither Apple nor Google maps apps right now give me what I want. A decent UI with accurate map data...

And neither offer better turn by turn than Navigon...

I guess I just expect better than what I'm seeing. I'm seeing shades of crappy Windows UI programming here... I think that's sad.. and pathetic.. both that we have to put up with it, and that people seem *eager* to put up with it.

Git off my lawn, yer makin me feel old!
I could type out a long winded response about why you are still incorrect, but it's just not worth the time or effort. Go Google "Google Maps iOS user interface" and read the hundreds of reviews that speak to Google Maps' simple and more intuitive user interface.

I know you still aren't likely to agree, but it's worth a shot. Your "git off my lawn" comment is fitting, as I do feel like I am speaking with an older person who knows nothing about design.

coolpal

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
More macrumors spin - somehow manages to represent the story as pro apple. I am very much an Apple fan but can accept their failings (and their competitor's better offerings).

I second this... it's ok to acknowledge the failings even if you are a fanboy.
@macrumors, how about the fact that not everyone is wired to the internet as much as us geeks, and the possibility that most others just either didn't know about the app yet or don't use maps so much that they have to download one immediately after it's released? you know they wont be prompted by their computer about the new google maps app (like itunes would in case of new software update)?

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
More Maps

How long will we debate this? We now have both Apple Maps and Google Maps, and I'm sure updates to those Apps as time goes on! They will just keep getting better, and just think, we get to have both for free!
I would also like to point out there is some other Mapping Apps in App Store.
Some are very good with a feature or 2 that people might find worth using the other Mapping Apps. I personally have one that I really like, MotionX GPS Drive all though it costs money I have found it worth it!:cool::apple::apple::apple:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
More macrumors spin - somehow manages to represent the story as pro apple. I am very much an Apple fan but can accept their failings (and their competitor's better offerings).

I didn't see much spin....

For me I have google maps as a back up.

----------

How long will we debate this? We now have both Apple Maps and Google Maps, and I'm sure updates to those Apps as time goes on! They will just keep getting better, and just think, we get to have both for free!
I would also like to point out there is some other Mapping Apps in App Store.
Some are very good with a feature or 2 that people might find worth using the other Mapping Apps. I personally have one that I really like, MotionX GPS Drive all though it costs money I have found it worth it!:cool::apple::apple::apple:

This debate will go on as long as there are apple maps haters.

Tannerjr

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Exactly. The haters will fail to recognize this fact.

To sum it up: Apple plays hardball = we get a better app from Google than was there before. Aaaaand we get to choose (or not) to use Apple's built in option as well.

Kudos to Apple. Thank you. Once again, we the users win thanks to you.

I logged in JUST to give this Thumbs UP!

catracho

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
Dear google,

Could you put this damn app in my country app store?

Thanks for share the love

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.