Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:00 PM   #251
kadillac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
And Henry Ford created the modern automobile.
kadillac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:16 PM   #252
Jimmy James
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio1990 View Post
I just wish that apple gives as options... One for 4" and 5"
You forgot 6". Every man needs at least 6".
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:46 PM   #253
raptorstv
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
You forgot 6". Every man needs at least 6".
6" to compete with galaxy note 3 in 2013
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:20 AM   #254
Michael CM1
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
So there's no room for compromise between the iPhone and a 10" screen? Like maybe a very reasonable 4.3 or 4.5?

You're also missing the fact that most people don't have both, so their phone is all they've got to work with and that's why larger screen phones are so popular. Most people can only afford the phone. It's very short sighted to just say "you want a bigger screen, get an iPad" which is the rule of thumb around here.
I was just mentioning my own use. I have an iPad, so when I want the extra real estate I switch to it. I have friends with the slightly larger Android devices, and I figure I might get an iPhone model that big.

There's no way Apple can make a device for everybody. There are obviously users who like the size of the Galaxy Note. I saw one last month and thought it was an iPad mini shrunk in the wash. That's why the big blanket of Android devices sells more than iPhones. There are basically three iPhone models for sale (5, 4S, 4) compared to more than 100 Android devices. If you don't think the OS matters all that much, you will probably find more features suited to you on Android. But alas the OS does count, which is why a good number of us bought an iPhone with its screen size.
__________________
Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver iPhone 5S 32GB; white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV
Michael CM1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:24 AM   #255
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
There are basically three iPhone models for sale (5, 4S, 4) compared to more than 100 Android devices.
I'm not sure what the exact number is now, but it is over 1,400 according to Google.
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:23 AM   #256
Jimrod
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Actually the thing with all this debate is that the screen is too small for some things, too big for others - the main argument against small size being that it's not a long-term browsing device and against large that it has to be able to be used in one hand etc.

For me the problem is the ratio - the increased size didn't change web browsing much as no width is added and in landscape too little is visible. They should have stuck with 4:3 ratio and increased width a couple of mm with the height - after all it's not a primary video source so why is 16:9 so important? 3:2 works for the iPad doesn't it?

I'd just like it if they added a colour calibration option so I could remove the pissy yellow/green tint...
Jimrod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:58 AM   #257
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezr View Post
so glad you finally see the light. Side by side customers are buying the smaller new ipad more than the new larger updated retina ipad. So the buying public has spoken with their dollars.....So Apple released a smaller ipad that is cannibalizing their existing product line......you just can't admit you were wrong even when proven....

.
The fact that you think you've proven anything is quite tickling.

Yes, Apple brought out a whole new product (iPad mini) and it's outselling the established model (iPad). If you think this is surprising, you are either ignorant, thick, or both.
tomjleeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:29 AM   #258
harcosparky
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadillac View Post
And Henry Ford created the modern automobile.
Well clearly according to some of the posts here, the iPhone as it is, trumps the modern automobile.

I am a fan of Apple products, however no company is perfect and when my needs cannot be met by a companies product I will speak to that.

I am just an fan, not a Kool-Aid drinker!
__________________
Awwwwwww!
harcosparky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:33 AM   #259
Xenc
macrumors 6502a
 
Xenc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London, England
I like the larger screens of devices like the S3 but they can be a little unwieldy to hold in one hand. I wonder if Apple will ever enlarge the iPhone screen again, especially now that they've marketed it as having the perfect screen size.
Xenc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:39 AM   #260
harcosparky
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezr View Post
so glad you finally see the light. Side by side customers are buying the smaller new ipad more than the new larger updated retina ipad. So the buying public has spoken with their dollars.....So Apple released a smaller ipad that is cannibalizing their existing product line......you just can't admit you were wrong even when proven....

.
Not so fast there my man ...

How many buyers of the new smaller iPad already have an earlier larger version of the iPad?

How many buyers of the new iPad are buying it because they think the larger retina screen model is too big?

How many buyers of the new iPad are buying it because they are Fan Boys who worship Apple's every product and must add one to their shrine at home?

You'd have to prove that buyers of the smaller one are buying it because the other is too large to say the new on is canabalizing the other.

I tend to think the new smaller iPad is complementing the sales of the larger unit.

We have two iPads here, original and second generation so we won't be buying another one anytime soon. However after playing with the smaller one a bit I can say that when I go to buy another one it will not be the smaller one because I think the larger one is perfect for what it is.

However I work out in the field and am turning more and more to the iPhone for email/internet based information. I don't want to lug around two devices I mean it is bad enough I have to lug around two cell phones, but that is another story.

I guess I could complain because Apple doesn't make an iPhone that can hold two SIM cards and be a two line phone!
__________________
Awwwwwww!
harcosparky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:59 AM   #261
jamezr
macrumors 65816
 
jamezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
Not so fast there my man ...

How many buyers of the new smaller iPad already have an earlier larger version of the iPad?

How many buyers of the new iPad are buying it because they think the larger retina screen model is too big?

How many buyers of the new iPad are buying it because they are Fan Boys who worship Apple's every product and must add one to their shrine at home?

You'd have to prove that buyers of the smaller one are buying it because the other is too large to say the new on is canabalizing the other.

I tend to think the new smaller iPad is complementing the sales of the larger unit.

We have two iPads here, original and second generation so we won't be buying another one anytime soon. However after playing with the smaller one a bit I can say that when I go to buy another one it will not be the smaller one because I think the larger one is perfect for what it is.

However I work out in the field and am turning more and more to the iPhone for email/internet based information. I don't want to lug around two devices I mean it is bad enough I have to lug around two cell phones, but that is another story.

I guess I could complain because Apple doesn't make an iPhone that can hold two SIM cards and be a two line phone!
I think you missed my point......the poster i was replying to said Apple would not release products ( larger iPhone along side existing size iPhone) because it would cannibalize the existing product. So i brought up the example of the ipad mini versus the larger ipad 4.
I think there is room to release a larger screen iphone......they would sell millions. I agree with you on carrying 2 devices...but I often carry my ipad 3 LTE instead of my MBP because it is so much easier to lug around. So often times I will carry my iphone in my pocket and my ipad under my arm.
__________________
2013 MBP| iPad Air|iMac 21 |Galaxy S5|Lumia 1520| Nexus 7
jamezr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:01 AM   #262
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezr View Post
I think you missed my point......the poster i was replying to said Apple would not release products ( larger iPhone along side existing size iPhone) because it would cannibalize the existing product. So i brought up the example of the ipad mini versus the larger ipad 4.
I think there is room to release a larger screen iphone......they would sell millions. I agree with you on carrying 2 devices...but I often carry my ipad 3 LTE instead of my MBP because it is so much easier to lug around. So often times I will carry my iphone in my pocket and my ipad under my arm.
So that confirms it, you can't/didn't/won't read.

Go back and read what I put again. This time, actually read it, instead of projecting. I did not say what you claim.
tomjleeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:18 AM   #263
Mackan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenc View Post
I like the larger screens of devices like the S3 but they can be a little unwieldy to hold in one hand. I wonder if Apple will ever enlarge the iPhone screen again, especially now that they've marketed it as having the perfect screen size.
It had the perfect screen size before, as well. If they ever enlarge it again, it will have a new perfect screen size...
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:42 AM   #264
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 212
It took Apple how many years to decide to change the screen size to 4 inches?... don't think they will ever increase it so soon, if ever
pnoyblazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:44 AM   #265
RTbar
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
the screen is perfect for me - it fits in my smaller hands, and due to the smaller size i use it more as a tool....no more mindless browsing and tweaking like i did with android
RTbar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:36 AM   #266
raptorstv
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTbar View Post
the screen is perfect for me - it fits in my smaller hands, and due to the smaller size i use it more as a tool....no more mindless browsing and tweaking like i did with android
Because the width is so slim, it hurts my hand after holding the phone for too long. All i know is, if iphone release a bigger iphone, i will be first to line up and sell my iphone 5

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
It took Apple how many years to decide to change the screen size to 4 inches?... don't think they will ever increase it so soon, if ever
That was under steve jobs, look at how things change so quickly under Tim Cook... He's the best! Better than Steve Jobs!
raptorstv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:34 PM   #267
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
To OP, you say youre eyes hurt when browsing the web? I don't know about Safari, but if you download the Chrome Browser App, you can set minium font sizes for webpages. This should help your eyes out. I think the 4" screen is perfect. Now if I see a 4S or older, I can't believe how small the screen seems when held in Landscape.
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:50 PM   #268
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Why Apple chose to continue to trail the leaders with a narrow little 4.0" screen is baffling. Yet the ideal solution for me, one who widely prefers all things Apple, was to dump my iP5, buy an iPad mini & a compact feature phone. Now I've got plenty of room to work. While the iP5 didn't bother my eyes, the little display was just to limiting.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:51 PM   #269
Zaft
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Why Apple chose to continue to trail the leaders with a narrow little 4.0" screen is baffling. Yet the ideal solution for me, one who widely prefers all things Apple, was to dump my iP5, buy an iPad mini & a compact feature phone. Now I've got plenty of room to work. While the iP5 didn't bother my eyes, the little display was just to limiting.
you can always go android you know.
Zaft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:03 PM   #270
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaft View Post
you can always go android you know.
Did you fail to read the part where I said I prefer Apple?

I stated it plain as day
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:08 PM   #271
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
That was under steve jobs, look at how things change so quickly under Tim Cook... He's the best! Better than Steve Jobs!
Tim Cook is better than Steve Jobs? Where were you during the 90s-2011?

Not to insult or anything, but I haven't seen Tim doing anything that makes him better than Steve.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:15 PM   #272
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604
 
Digital Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In my imagination
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Forgive me, but you're mistaken. I own an iPhone 5 and have no trouble using it with one hand. I will admit that I have large hands however.
The good news is that everyone's hands are a different size. People that blindly say that you need two hands with an Android handset need to stop labeling people and devices based on their own opinions.

Now, as a Note 2 owner, I love the fact that it's not as big as one would think once you take it out of the store, and that I can actually use it with:

ONE HAND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
cant live without these apps.......
- facetime
- imessage
- goodreader
- CBC TV
- puffin
- CNBC RT
- my university school app
- podcast
- passbook
- KTdict Chinese-English
- Viki (Android has it, but so buggy)
I feel for you. I needed just two marketcircle apps myself, the rest of my mobile computing was done with Google services so it was a no brainer for me to continue skipping iOS in terms of a handset. My Note has really taken the place of my iPad now, especially since I have upwards of 75GBs on it.

I do want an iPad Mini to give me the best of both worlds however, and since Google codes things better in the iOS ecosystem, and the other apps I use are platform agnostic, I don't have to worry much about picking the wrong tool . . . . . . sorry I was relishing in the freedom.

If I where you, I'd go iPad Mini or iPad 2/3/4. Signing a petition and saying that we should too isn't going to help. Either expand your handset horizons or fork out more cash for another, bigger device. Although, I don't find the iPhone 5 screen too small at all, even after living with a Note 2; but I do find the phones on the other side much more feature rich out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.
Now, I would tend to agree that Apple did spin the notion that a longer phone was easier to use with two hands. Other companies will blatantly rip Apple off, but Apple will blatantly cripple their own devices to say they are different.

With that being said, I still have to use two hands even in portrait mode to punch out a short SMS or email, so the one handed argument is still garbage.
__________________
What do I have?, stuff that I actually use for work! Some old, some new, all effective.
Digital Skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:05 PM   #273
Michael CM1
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeV83 View Post
I'm not sure what the exact number is now, but it is over 1,400 according to Google.
REALLY? I figured there might be a couple hundred out there actually for sale. Holy segmentation, Batman.
__________________
Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver iPhone 5S 32GB; white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV
Michael CM1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:11 PM   #274
lulla01
macrumors 68000
 
lulla01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S
Send a message via AIM to lulla01
I want an iPhone with a 5 inch screen like the new droid dna
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:01 AM   #275
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
REALLY? I figured there might be a couple hundred out there actually for sale. Holy segmentation, Batman.
It's pretty bad, and only getting worse. If you're interested, the following articles explain pretty well why developer support has overwhelmingly been on Apple's side:

The shocking toll of hardware and software fragmentation on Android development

iOS v Android: why Schmidt was wrong and developers still start on Apple

Quote:
This was highlighted by the recent release of Temple Run on the Android platform. A previously (very) successful game on iOS, it was brought over to Android in order to take advantage of the huge number of devices that run the OS. And it has already hit 1 million downloads in just 3 days, good, even for a free app. But very quickly, the developers of the app discovered the pitfalls of fragmentation:

Quote:
Smith confirmed for us that his Audiobooks app has been run on 1443 different Android devices by its users. This makes it absolutely impossible to determine whether an app will run without problems for all of your customers. To drive home how ridiculously shattered the Android landscape is, check out this list of the most used single devices based on 1.3M downloads of his app:

Droid X (7.8% of users)
Samsung Galaxy S2 (4.3%)
Droid (4%)
HTC Desire HD (4%)
HTC Evo 4G (3.7%)
Droid incredible (2.3%)
This is insanity when you look at it from the standpoint of an iOS developer, who has to support only a handful of hardware varietals. Of course, Androidís very nature causes this.


Current estimates peg the AppStore as having sold about 20x more than the Google Play store. I've read that some developers have actually had to hire additional support staff just to handle the onslaught of emails which came in after deciding to support Android, the majority of which were handset specific complaints. The developers are deciding to put their resources towards a second iOS app, instead of porting their existing app to Android.

One specific dev complained their Android app had 1/4th the revenue as their iOS app, while costing 4x to support. He ended up dropping Android altogether once he realized it was costing him 16x more to bring his apps to market.
DodgeV83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC