Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:03 PM   #76
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioscat View Post
I'm pretty sure Microsoft released a version of Windows NT 4.0 for PPC processors. Although these were for IBM PPC computers, it might be possible to get it working on PPC Mac.
IBM PPC machines are very different from any Apple PPC machine. Even if you got a copy of the rare PPC Windows NT 4 OS, it won't install or run on a PPC Mac.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:17 PM   #77
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
I remember that age. I had 2 PC's and 3 G4s. Plus an eMac. Sell your old stuff on ebay, buy something bigger and trade on Craigslist for semi broken computers. Put $10 into them and KABLAM you have a bunch of computers. Take the time to sell them and KABLAM AGAIN you have money. Take it the apple store and buy a nice Mac! Problem solved!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:19 PM   #78
Sawtooth811
macrumors 6502

Wow. Just Wow.

Wow. I came across this thread, and read most of the posts. It's funny how I changed almost completely from my first post. Man, I sounded stupid.

However, I wasn't the only one who was talking out of my ass; some of those people who posted were idiots at the time, too. I agreed with one older post, though---this thread needed to close a very long time ago.

Last edited by Sawtooth811; Sep 21, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Sawtooth811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:58 PM   #79
MichaelLAX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth811 View Post
Wow. I came across this thread, and read most of the posts. It's funny how I changed almost completely from my first post. Man, I sounded stupid.

However, I wasn't the only one who was talking out of my ass; some of those people who posted were idiots at the time, too. I agreed with one older post, though---this thread needed to close a very long time ago.
Since I did NOT read all of these old posts, after a few of your original ones, what did you have against Connectix' VirtualPC in the first place?
MichaelLAX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:27 AM   #80
Sawtooth811
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post
Since I did NOT read all of these old posts, after a few of your original ones, what did you have against Connectix' VirtualPC in the first place?
It was too slow on the Macs I had at the time, and it wasn't suitable with what I planned to do with it. That's really it.
Sawtooth811 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:34 AM   #81
MichaelLAX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It was too slow on the Macs I had at the time, and it wasn't suitable with what I planned to do with it. That's really it.
That is true: virtualization of Windows on a PPC was slow, but was the only solution on my iMac G4. I had limited need for Windows XP, but VirtualPC offered it when needed. What was your need?

Years before that I had a PPC Mac 6100 with a DOS board installed that ran Windows 95 I think it was...

Also: I extracted the licensed copy of Windows XP out of that copy of VirtualPC and to this day, that is the licensed copy of Windows XP that I use in my modern Intel Mac (2009 MacBook Pro) in both Bootcamp and Parallels! Bootcamp running Windows XP even survived the upgrade to Lion...

Last edited by MichaelLAX; Dec 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:04 AM   #82
gpat
macrumors 6502a

This thread is cracking me up. Nice necroposting.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:30 AM   #83
MichaelLAX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
This thread is cracking me up. Nice necroposting.
WOW: Must be a slow day for YOU! But glad you find any way to get a few chuckles...

From the Urban Dictionary:

Necroposting
The act of posting in a forum thread that is too old to matter any more, or has served it's purpose. Usually by new, inexperienced members of the board.

A common trait of someone necroposting is not to only bring one old thread back from the last page before deletion, but to fill up the entire first page with threads that only they seem to think have relevance to anything.

EXAMPLE:

Date: 15th June 07
Comment: blah blah blah

Date: 2nd November 07
Comment: I totally agree!

Date: 2nd November 07
Comment: Quit necroposting.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:06 AM   #84
street2k
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioscat View Post
I'm pretty sure Microsoft released a version of Windows NT 4.0 for PPC processors. Although these were for IBM PPC computers, it might be possible to get it working on PPC Mac.
In order to run Windows XP, Vista on a PPC Mac you'll need to install QEMU which is an emulator. I had installed it myself. I haven't tried Windows 7, but with QEMU you can run Ubuntu as well. Its slower as you use the newer Windows OS but it works. Its great for sharing between multiple enviroments both locally and on a network. Also QEMU is free which is another benefit.

Windows NT can work natively on a PPC but only up to OS.9 or Panther in classic mode in which you need OS9 installed.
street2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:36 PM   #85
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Mac Mini's used to be my "Dream Mac Machine" back when they were G4's, but now it is impossible for it to fit my needs. It isn't the right Mac for me, and I'm a broke 15 year-old (spending only $20 on upgrades for my current Sawtooth,) who can't afford a current Mac.
Hey, Me To

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help