Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xstaycold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I am a college student and have a 2011 17" MacBook Pro. I got it for school and as a desktop replacement. However, I got a nice chunk of money recently and thought about putting it towards an iPad.
The MacBook is nice for school, but it's a little big. Not so big and heavy to where it's ridiculous. But with this money I just got an iPad could be a nice treat.
So my question is, is there anybody on here that has/does used/uses an iPad for notetaking and such in class? I have the laptop for papers and stuff. But when it comes to lectures do you guys find the iPad pretty friendly with keeping up? ive considered getting one of those keyboard attachments or something.

Also, I just REALLLY want a reason to have THIS
http://www.moleskineus.com/mbl0134-moleskine-ipad-3-tablet-cover-volant-notebook.html

I wouldnt' mind the mini. but that case/cover is just too nifty and they only make them for the full sized ipads.

because I just love Moleskine.

spring

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
I had an iPad when I was in college a couple years ago and I just didnt think it was at all practical, for me at least. I know people here and at my University use iPad all the time with no issues for note-taking but it wasn't for me. I needed to write equations, graphs quickly and I found the iPad too awkward for me in that regards; pen/pencil and paper were still quicker. I did use my iPad for studying though - reading pdfs and highlighting, so it was pretty useful in that aspect.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I used my iPad to take notes in a chem class and in anthropology. I found it too difficult to use in my calculus class. I typed out all of my notes (with the virtual keyboard) during anthropology and used the Bamboo stylus to handwrite my notes during chemistry. It worked very well and I plan on using my iPad again during the spring semester.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I am a college student and have a 2011 17" MacBook Pro. I got it for school and as a desktop replacement. However, I got a nice chunk of money recently and thought about putting it towards an iPad.
The MacBook is nice for school, but it's a little big. Not so big and heavy to where it's ridiculous. But with this money I just got an iPad could be a nice treat.
So my question is, is there anybody on here that has/does used/uses an iPad for notetaking and such in class? I have the laptop for papers and stuff. But when it comes to lectures do you guys find the iPad pretty friendly with keeping up? ive considered getting one of those keyboard attachments or something.

http://www.moleskineus.com/mbl0134-moleskine-ipad-3-tablet-cover-volant-notebook.html

I wouldnt' mind the mini. but that case/cover is just too nifty and they only make them for the full sized ipads.

A car would be nice :p

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

I used and use mine for my classes for notes and my iMac or iBook for papers and all else. So yes, it is a good device for notes(depending on the class). I also used my iPad to redo a presentation when I realized that keynote was actually not being used and was able to use my ipad to export the keynote into a powerpoint format and then upload it between presentations.

poot1234

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
In my case it has been the most useful and best investment for college thus far. I use mine everyday in class. I use the Wacom bamboo stylus with the notes plus app. I class I write everything as I would usually do with a pen and paper, and find it very easy and natural. Not only do I save paper, but I keep it all much more organized in Dropbox, and don't have to worry about losing anything! It's also made me forget about taking my laptop to school for between class studying, and the iPad does everything I need and more. I'd highly recommend!

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I have a mini, which I bought for school. I love it. I don't take notes on it, I take handwritten notes in all my classes, then transcribe my notes into Evernote (great app!). I prefer the flexibility of handwritten notes, and transcribing them is a first round review of the notes. I have a stylus (Applydea) but the mini's surface isn't so large and I personally don't find it ideal for using in class to take notes, but it could be that I'm just not used to that process. I bought the mini because the full sized iPad (which I owned) is just too large for holding (while reading books, texts and PDFs for my classes). Also, I have an MBA (11") and so size and weight are big criteria for me with these devices. I love my mini, it's been a great addition for my studies, and plus it's one of the best gaming devices I've ever owned. Got to have some fun in between studying!

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
I am in college and use my ipad for everything. Most books are now available as "ebooks". You have various sites that you can rent these ebooks from ( amazon, chegg, etc). Using the books on ipad is helpful especially when it reduces the weight on your book bag. As for note taking I use an Adonit pro stylus which is really handy for handwriting notebook apps like : GoodNotes and Noteshelf. I don't really use the virtual keyboard when I use notes but if I have to I do carry the Logitech wireless keyboard case. . Using the ipad for school is a plus . It eliminates paper, pencils pens,highlighters, voice recorder etc... Definitely an investment

indianboynyc

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
i think everyone in all my classes wants to beat me up and rob me. i use macbook pro and lately my ipad. macbook pro to follow slides which they have posted online and everything else, macbook pro to write down notes in microsoft word and then save it sometimes i just type with ipad. but at the lol i usually have iphone, macbook and ipad all out on the desk all charging into each other and using all3 , lol

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
i think everyone in all my classes wants to beat me up and rob me. i use macbook pro and lately my ipad. macbook pro to follow slides which they have posted online and everything else, macbook pro to write down notes in microsoft word and then save it sometimes i just type with ipad. but at the lol i usually have iphone, macbook and ipad all out on the desk all charging into each other and using all3 , lol

Thats just ridiculous, unnecessary and just reeks of "look at me!".

Personally, I have a cheaper Android tablet that I use simply for reading textbooks and looking at the lecture slides. I find tablets to be impractical for note-taking, so the price of an iPad simply didn't warrant its use for me. The HP TouchPad on the other hand cost me £89; the money I saved goes on "essentials". If it works for other though, then great. Try it out at an Apple store and see if you can type comfortably on it/find the screen size alright for looking at whole pages of text.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think an iPad to supplement a computer is a good idea, an iPad to replace a computer not really a good idea.

Computers have many things over tablets and for college I think you want to use the right tool in the right situation

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I have a mini, which I bought for school. I love it. I don't take notes on it, I take handwritten notes in all my classes, then transcribe my notes into Evernote (great app!). I prefer the flexibility of handwritten notes, and transcribing them is a first round review of the notes. I have a stylus (Applydea) but the mini's surface isn't so large and I personally don't find it ideal for using in class to take notes, but it could be that I'm just not used to that process. I bought the mini because the full sized iPad (which I owned) is just too large for holding (while reading books, texts and PDFs for my classes). Also, I have an MBA (11") and so size and weight are big criteria for me with these devices. I love my mini, it's been a great addition for my studies, and plus it's one of the best gaming devices I've ever owned. Got to have some fun in between studying!

Not a student myself, but I've been evaluating the iPad as a note taking device for work. The approach above seems to be the best. I find that I can't write as quickly on the iPad with a stylus as I can with pen and paper. It's fine when I'm doing my own research or need to jot something down real quick, but when I'm in meetings and need to keep up it just doesn't suit me. Maybe that's just because I need to allow myself time to adjust, but that's been my experience so far.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I used and use mine for my classes for notes and my iMac or iBook for papers and all else. So yes, it is a good device for notes(depending on the class). I also used my iPad to redo a presentation when I realized that keynote was actually not being used and was able to use my ipad to export the keynote into a powerpoint format and then upload it between presentations.

lol an ibook

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think an iPad to supplement a computer is a good idea, an iPad to replace a computer not really a good idea.

Computers have many things over tablets and for college I think you want to use the right tool in the right situation

Agreed, a laptop gives you more versatility.

jmol

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
I think it's pretty practical. I use my 15 inch MBP for lectures and notes, but etextbooks is where the ipad really does it for me. With apps like Kno and Kindle I saved over a hundred dollars in books.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Not a student myself, but I've been evaluating the iPad as a note taking device for work. The approach above seems to be the best. I find that I can't write as quickly on the iPad with a stylus as I can with pen and paper. It's fine when I'm doing my own research or need to jot something down real quick, but when I'm in meetings and need to keep up it just doesn't suit me. Maybe that's just because I need to allow myself time to adjust, but that's been my experience so far.

I agree completely - it could be that I've just not adjusted to taking notes on the iPad, and if I were to try it I might get used to it, but I don't think it'll ever, as you say, have the flexibility and I doubt the speed would ever be as good for me with good ole pen and paper. Plus, using Evernote is incredible - getting any notes (and everything else) transcribed into that app is so useful, and it's there forever, with backup copies you never have to worry about. You can tag entries, you can search your notes, you can organise them - it's a great tool.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm a researcher and use my iPad extensively for work, especially for reading and annotating academic texts, note taking, and some writing. The combination of stylus input, long battery life and 3G input makes it favourable to my Air for certain settings and tasks. I've also used the iPad to go paperless in the office. I've written more about how I use it for work here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.