Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
I want to take advantage of the iPhone deal and get a new one for my wife. Her contract w/ AT&T is NOT up until 2/28/13 and I'd like to sign-up on Verizon. To do it as a surprise, do I have to sign up for the Contract in-store, or can I do it later so that we transfer the number when she opens it up on Christmas?

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Forget Walfart, Frys has it for $126.

----------

That's an incredible deal! Anyone looking to upgrade, or get a new line should jump all over this.

Nice savings, WalMart! :)

Wow. This is just incredible.

Thanks for contributing to Apple users smug reputation. It really isn't something to be proud of....

What's smug is your assumption that your perception of walmart is correct and mine is not. How do you know what I have experienced at walmart? How do you know I have not been attacked multiple times by junkies in a store? Witnessed fights, thefts, verbal berating of employees? You don't.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Posted this to another thread, but in case there are more people watching this one...

I have a family account with three iPhones. Only my line is eligible for an upgrade, but I'm thinking about giving an iPhone 5 to my daughter for Xmas. I'd like to get the cheapest price available (Walmart), but would ideally like it to be completely unactivated and wrapped under the tree, and then activate it (for her line) afterwards. Is there any way to make that all work with this Walmart deal?

If not, can I do the following...Buy the phone at Walmart and have them activate it for my #, but keep my old iPhone 4S active as well. I'm hoping that if I keep the new iPhone 5 powered down completely, calls would still ring into my iPhone 4S. Then, after she unwraps the iPhone 5, we'd need to go to an AT&T store and have them re-program her iPhone 5 SIM to be for her phone #.

If, on the other hand, when Walmart activates the new phone, my old iPhone 4S ceases to work with my #, that will be more of a butt pain. Then, I guess, I'd have to use the new iPhone 5 until Xmas and somehow keep it hidden from her.

sha4000

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Me too. Actually somebody is typing this for me while I dictate it. Typing is so dull and boring. And I have lots and lots of money so I just buy phones unlocked. Saving money through subsidy or discounts is for poor people. You look like somebody who is rich, I think you should try that too.

Or he/she wants us to believe that they are so well off. I mean why even go into a store of you have ppl to stand in line for you. Has time to post on an internet forum though.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Or he/she wants us to believe that they are so well off. I mean why even go into a store of you have ppl to stand in line for you. Has time to post on an internet forum though.
Just to be clear. I am typing this on an iPad while getting a foot massage simultaneously by two samoan women. I can only ad, that posting here is a form of entertainment and even assuming that some of you may be part of the annoying sale fighting, pushing, shoving crowd at a popular discount facility, my communication with those few is void of any physical contact. I am uncertain of being rich, however I will not stand waiting in any line for any product unless my welfare or the safety of my family depended on it. It is that simple. Everything else is gimmick for hysterical people and common cretins.

When you think about the philosophy of the discussed product here, ask yourself why is it that you want to come in its possession at often such great effort?
- Is it because of conveniences other products do not offer?
- Is it because it is trendy, everybody has it and you must have it too and you too want to be cool and you will do anything at all just to have it?

OK, lets hear it now:

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Apple is an IDIOT with their naming scheme!

Walmart is TOO STUPID to understand the difference!

They insist I talk about either the iPad 2 becuase of price, or iPad 4 becuase it is retina screen!

My friend and I are running in circles trying to explain it to them.....
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
How ironic. A person coming from a third world country that have worse security situation now belittling people who shops at WalMart.

If you are being sarcastic, I apologize..

No I am not being sarcastic. I feel so nervous being surrounded by shady people sitting / loitering in the parking lot of my local WalMart. There was one time wherein I was followed by a guy up to my car and he asked if he can use my cellphone. This is while he is holding an opened can of beer on his other hand. Never went to that WalMart branch once again.

In my country, the shopping malls are pretty secured and heavily guarded compared to my local Walmart.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Maybe we can revisit this conversation again. Maybe after they release the quarterly numbers? You can tell me why the blowout results are actually pointing to Apples eminent demise. :)

I've bookmarked this thread on my calendar for 20 January - see you then.

We need to think about how to measure, though. I could be completely right, yet Apple's fire-sale leads to a blowout quarter. ;)

The details will be subtle, like references to "pressure on margins" and "adjusting the supply chain to demand" and "reduced guidance for CYQ1".

And, I never said "demise"....

Last edited:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I've bookmarked this thread on my calendar for 20 January - see you then.

We need to think about how to measure, though. I could be completely right, yet Apple's fire-sale leads to a blowout quarter. ;)

The details will be subtle, like references to "pressure on margins" and "adjusting the supply chain to demand" and "reduced guidance for CYQ1".

And, I never said "demise"....

I see...So the measure of success will be based on criteria that you select? In that case I'll have to pass. You have already admitted that the quarter may be great. You now want to re-define the meaning of a blowout quarter. Nice try. :)

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Where do we find the ipad 3 for $399? I don't see it online, and my sister said she did not see it in the store.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I see...So the measure of success will be based on criteria that you select? In that case I'll have to pass. You have already admitted that the quarter may be great. You now want to re-define the meaning of a blowout quarter. Nice try. :)

No, I said that *we* need to think about the measures.

And how can you not realize that end-of-quarter pricing adjustments can affect the results?

Maybe I won't be back on 20 January - you seem to have already made your decision.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
No, I said that *we* need to think about the measures.

And how can you not realize that end-of-quarter pricing adjustments can affect the results?

Maybe I won't be back on 20 January - you seem to have already made your decision.

Well...If "we" can decide that the only qualification for a blowout quarter is Apple beats there own guidance handily, okay. Otherwise all bets are off.

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Posted this to another thread, but in case there are more people watching this one...

I have a family account with three iPhones. Only my line is eligible for an upgrade, but I'm thinking about giving an iPhone 5 to my daughter for Xmas. I'd like to get the cheapest price available (Walmart), but would ideally like it to be completely unactivated and wrapped under the tree, and then activate it (for her line) afterwards. Is there any way to make that all work with this Walmart deal?

If not, can I do the following...Buy the phone at Walmart and have them activate it for my #, but keep my old iPhone 4S active as well. I'm hoping that if I keep the new iPhone 5 powered down completely, calls would still ring into my iPhone 4S. Then, after she unwraps the iPhone 5, we'd need to go to an AT&T store and have them re-program her iPhone 5 SIM to be for her phone #.

If, on the other hand, when Walmart activates the new phone, my old iPhone 4S ceases to work with my #, that will be more of a butt pain. Then, I guess, I'd have to use the new iPhone 5 until Xmas and somehow keep it hidden from her.

There's no easy way to do this; especially through a reseller like WM or BB. But here are the steps if you are interested.

1. Go to WM/BB and process upgrade on your line. Don't bother telling them it is for a different line, as that will only cause confusion and possible billing errors.
2. Once you have the phone, go straight to AT&T (or whichever carrier you use). Make sure it is an actual Company Owned Retail (COR) Store and not an Authorized Agent.
3. Tell them you just upgraded your line for your daughter and you need new SIMs for both lines.
4. Make sure to tell them that she will not get the i5 until Christmas so they SHOULD NOT activate her new SIM yet.

If all goes well, you should leave the AT&T store with your i4S working with your number and an i5 with a NEW SIM that is not activated and your daughter shouldn't be the wiser. (Unless they mess up and activate her new SIM, in turn deactivating the phone she's carrying.)

Good Luck! Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

----------

I want to take advantage of the iPhone deal and get a new one for my wife. Her contract w/ AT&T is NOT up until 2/28/13 and I'd like to sign-up on Verizon. To do it as a surprise, do I have to sign up for the Contract in-store, or can I do it later so that we transfer the number when she opens it up on Christmas?

You will have to sign the contract at time of purchase no matter which carrier you choose.

Keep in mind, activating on Verizon and then porting her number from AT&T before the contract is up will cause an early termination fee. And... Is her contract actually up (expires) on 2/28/13 or is that when she is eligible for an upgrade? The two dates are completely different.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
There's no easy way to do this; especially through a reseller like WM or BB. But here are the steps if you are interested.
Thanks for the reply. But just to be clear...when I leave Walmart, will my 4s be deactivated and the 5 be activated, and then I'll need the AT&T store to undo that? It was my impression that I probably won't be able to leave the Walmart store without them having activated the new phone/SIM.

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks for the reply. But just to be clear...when I leave Walmart, will my 4s be deactivated and the 5 be activated, and then I'll need the AT&T store to undo that? It was my impression that I probably won't be able to leave the Walmart store without them having activated the new phone/SIM.

Correct. When you leave Wal-Mart, your i5 will be active with your number. Then follow my steps at AT&T and they will reactivate your i4S with a new SIM. (You'll have to get new SIMs for both because the originals will no longer work.)

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

They insist I talk about either the iPad 2 becuase of price, or iPad 4 becuase it is retina screen!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

wow....this might just be an issue with that walmart, but hey they are most likely just seasonal employee's so give them a break.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Son, you need a sedative ... or a nap.
Calm down man. If a retailer cannot accommodate you then you simply shop elsewhere.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
wow....this might just be an issue with that walmart, but hey they are most likely just seasonal employee's so give them a break.

When you shop at Wal-Mart (non-union underpaid employees working a giant "machine" cookie-cutter storefront with nothing but profit in mind) you get what you get. You don't get to complain. If you want halfway knowledgeable employees, you should shop elsewhere (like say an actual Apple store). I once worked at Best Buy (another mass market store that carries Apple products) over 15 years ago and I can say with an absolute certainty, they don't hire based on computer knowledge; they don't encourage computer knowledge and they'll let someone go that knows computers working part time to pay for college before someone with no knowledge in a heart-beat if the ignorant person can work the hours/shifts they want and the college student is limited to weekends (even if they work more hours on the weekends than the flexible person works during the week part-time).

In short, employees at these places don't know squat as a rule and if they do know something, it's certainly NOT because of their employer providing training or hiring them because of that knowledge. It's just a lucky coincidence. You get what you pay for in life. The biggest discount rarely gets you the best support.

Joelcarter86

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
If you'd rather get your phone from a highly trained sales staff, anda company with a much better protection option, don't forget to just price match these deals at your local Best Buy. They still have $50 off iphone 5 and 4s, so if walmart is out of stock you can still take advantage of that deal. Does anyone really go to walmart for phones? Id be afraid of them screwing up my cell plan! Just saying...

Joelcarter86

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011

I am 95% sure walmart will probably screw up something while trying to do an alternate upgrade on att. It is more complicated than one thinks. Ive worked best buy mobile for a yearnow and am very knowledgable on the process. Best buys systems let us typically keep the current sim activated when doing upgrades, which allows the old phone to continue working. Then when you are ready to reactivate the iphone 5 sim with her number just go in to your local bby and have them do a hardware swap. Other option is to upgrade your line and have them swap sims and devices back with your phone. Then activate iphone 5 whenever you are ready at local bbym. They will end up eating a sim card, but we have replacements in hand for that reason. Just price match to walmart and dont screw up your plan :) hope that helps.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

Son, you need a sedative ... or a nap.
Calm down man. If a retailer cannot accommodate you then you simply shop elsewhere.
(no one else offered $100 a NEW iPad)

Tried 3 Walmarts, friend did 2, me the 3ed. I had a WalMart Online ad with price.

Even with said printed paper in hand, they still refused to believe it, as, to my chagrin, the ID number was not visible on my printout (if the number at bottom is it)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-3rd-Generation-32GB-with-Wi-Fi-White/20573242

The case also had a mix of iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad 4, and the ONLY way to know which was which was look at the hard to read light colored fine print on the back of box.

One box had WalMart label "IPAD3 32GB" for $549. I asked them to scan the tag THREE times before they finally did so, and it came up $499. They where surprised at the result.

And they knew nothing about the supposed $30 iTunes card (so I gave up on that).

My friend is quite a bit older then me and is not technically embracing, so a $100 discount was a great incentive for him (he was putting this off for months). Apple's naming scheme and the unofficial schemes confused him, compound that with Walmart's uninformed staff.

At least with iPhone's there is no questions of ID's, but iPad's it is getting problematic.
"The New" iPad. Give us a break.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I don't care if Walmart gives the iPhone away with a free lap dance or a date with Jennifer Aniston, I will NEVER shop at that store, or any store they own or control. Ever...

Walmart is evil, no, make that EEEVIL. Their 'family' supports some of the most heinous politicians that walk, crawl, or ooze across this planet. Now to find out that the Walton family is into gun running too, I am doubly sure that the company has no heart or soul at all, and I refuse to give them any of my money. The Walton 'Family' acts more like the Manson family...

----------

(no one else offered $100 a NEW iPad)

Tried 3 Walmarts, friend did 2, me the 3ed. I had a WalMart Online ad with price.

Even with said printed paper in hand, they still refused to believe it, as, to my chagrin, the ID number was not visible on my printout (if the number at bottom is it)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-3rd-Generation-32GB-with-Wi-Fi-White/20573242

The case also had a mix of iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad 4, and the ONLY way to know which was which was look at the hard to read light colored fine print on the back of box.

One box had WalMart label "IPAD3 32GB" for $549. I asked them to scan the tag THREE times before they finally did so, and it came up $499. They where surprised at the result.

And they knew nothing about the supposed $30 iTunes card (so I gave up on that).

My friend is quite a bit older then me and is not technically embracing, so a $100 discount was a great incentive for him (he was putting this off for months). Apple's naming scheme and the unofficial schemes confused him, compound that with Walmart's uninformed staff.

At least with iPhone's there is no questions of ID's, but iPad's it is getting problematic.
"The New" iPad. Give us a break.

You are surprised? I mean really surprised? They treat their employees like poop. They treat the customers like poop. You expect the over worked and under paid staff to treat you any differently?

Avoid Walmart. They have gotten extremely low marks in nearly every customer satisfaction survey ever... Crap, go shop in some off the strip hell hole in New York City and you will likely get better service...

Walmart stands for the China-tization of American workers... If you really want to put all of American workers necks in a vise, go for it, but don't complain that you are treated like KAKA and get crappy made in China crap that breaks and all of the local competition are run into the ground.

Walmart is a disease...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.