Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickash28

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
I bought an iPhone 5 from the Apple Store 13 days ago at $199.

What will be the procedure for price matching this Wal Mart deal? Will I really have to return my phone to Apple and re-buy at Wal Mart?

What do you think?

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012

What will be the procedure for price matching this Wal Mart deal? Will I really have to return my phone to Apple and re-buy at Wal Mart?

What do you think?

Probably. I called my local Apple store before I went to Best Buy to ask if they would price match and was told they would not.

However, it might be worth you going into the store with everything you purchased and attempt to return it, telling them that you're going to go re-purchase at Wal-Mart (or Best Buy w/price match) and see what they will do.

Best of luck.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental

What do you think?

You must truly have too much time on your hands to dedicate it to a repurchase of in all things a disposable telephone. Go skiing. Keystone has got a lot of fresh snow!

Last edited:

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Realize that Apple may be worried about closing the quarter with hundreds of millions of dollars of unsold Iphone inventory - looks very bad on the quarterly report.

Sure they'd eventually sell, but Apple may be more concerned about inventory than about margin - hence these greatly reduced prices.

Another nice attempt at distorting facts and pushing FUD, unless you truly are unaware of the tech business. Apple ends every quarter with "hundreds of million dollars of unsold Iphone [sic] inventory", as do the resellers. That's perfectly normal. Nice try, though.

Nickash28

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
I must truly have too much time on your hands to dedicate it to a repurchase of in all things a disposable telephone. Go skiing. Keystone has got a lot of fresh snow!

I'm sure how much time you have on my hands, but $70 is a lot of money to some people and the entire process would take no more than 30 minutes.

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I don't have a habit to beg for a disposable gadget and wait for one while sleeping all night on the sidewalk to be the first moron to have a new generation something. I am the customer and I am the payee and I require world class service from a what is on a global scale a large corporation. I don't need the half retarded salespeople with goofy santa hats looking like they woke up too late to take a shower and are having a difficult time with English.

You may like it, it may be even perfectly suited for you, but I don't give a crap about it.

And this is how imbecile AT&T has further proved to be....imbecile. After yesterdays purchase and contract closure confirmation + new phone purchased based on...the contract expiration, I receive this:

"Request number: xxxxxxxx
Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.

We cannot complete your request because the service commitment for this iPhone has not been completed or no valid current/ former mobile number is associated with the request.
If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone.
Thank you for your business. For other questions about our wireless service or iPhones, contact AT&T Customer Care at (800) 331-0500.
You may also check the status of your unlock request by clicking the link for AT&T's Device Unlock Status Portal.
Sincerely,
The AT&T Customer Care Team
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
All replies are automatically deleted.

Since you are in a sour mood, here's something to make your day worse.

You should have unlocked you old phone first before buying the new one. The reason it get messed up is that, your old phone is not associated anymore with your number thats why AT&T can't find it anymore in their system. And your new phone is still within contract so its not yet eligible for unlock.

Relax its just a phone... Have fun skiing!!!!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Is it possible that Walmart is eating the discount as a loss leader to get people into the stores and that Apple is still getting their normal price?

scooterspud

macrumors member
May 30, 2003
If anyone has done a PM with Best Buy in California, can you post what you paid including taxes? I'd get it there if I only paid on the subsidized price.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I don't think an iPhone is something you pick up while getting the groceries but I was thinking the same thing.

Or maybe there is some type of carrier based incentive? We really don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but sometimes a popular product is advertised as a loss leader.

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Is it possible that Walmart is eating the discount as a loss leader to get people into the stores and that Apple is still getting their normal price?

I think, WalMart alone, won't be giving this much of a discount. There is no incentive for them give this deep of a discount especially for an Apple product as the customer has to purchase a way more a lot of extra items to make a profit from that loss leader. This stuff supposedly sells itself and a hot item this holiday and just carrying them in your store is already an attraction by itself. If I was in the market for an i5, I would buy it even for $149.99 since its already $50 cheaper from other stores. Is Apple is partly subsidizing it? We will never know as Apple would never ever admit it. Its tantamount to an admission that its not selling.

My question is does Apple have a say on how stores prices their Apple products? They have built their brand image to be "high end" and what if the stores starts selling them basement prices with store shouldering the loss?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You certainly wouldn't want to associate with THOSE kind of people.

People of quality, such as yourself, must not allow themselves to be seen with THOSE people.

I mean, really, you must maintain some standards or the peasants will start to think they are as good as you.

Don't give in...maintain your standards...the hell with the money...there are more important things at stake here!

:rolleyes:

While I know where you are coming from, our recent move to MA has shown me that not all WalMarts are equal. In the midwest EVERYONE shopped at WalMart. Here I walked into the WalMart and it was filled with riff-raff. I am talking the kind of people I wouldn't want to be around in a dark alley. For me it wouldn't be about associating myself with these people. It would be the risk of getting robbed in the parking lot for the iPad I just bought that would have me worried.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
While I know where you are coming from, our recent move to MA has shown me that not all WalMarts are equal. In the midwest EVERYONE shopped at WalMart. Here I walked into the WalMart and it was filled with riff-raff. I am talking the kind of people I wouldn't want to be around in a dark alley. For me it wouldn't be about associating myself with these people. It would be the risk of getting robbed in the parking lot for the iPad I just bought that would have me worried.

Which Walmart in MA?

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Which doesn't even address the horrible race to the bottom mentality that companies like walmart encourage in people. I'm proud to live somewhere walmart isn't allowed, and even if I did live where their unamerican business practices were accepted I still wouldn't shop there, even if it meant saving some pathetic seventy bucks on an iPhone, or whatever. And if seventy bucks is a big deal to you, maybe it's time to reorganize your priorities and quit buying **** like iPhones and 60" televisions.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Which Walmart in MA?

Hey, Mate, does it really matter where in MA the Walmart is located? What's important is that riffraff shop there, and not the nice people who shop in Walmart in the Midwest.

And our friend doesn't want to be associated with riffraff, who will rip him off in the parking lot...unlike the nice people who shopped at Walmart in the Midwest.

He probably lives near me...I'm riffraff if I ever saw riffraff!! :p

;) :rolleyes: :D

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Which Walmart in MA?

It was somewhere in north east MA near the NH border. I am not familiar with the area. Told the GPS I wanted a WalMart and that is where it took me lol. I remember there was a Market Basket next door, though that likely isn't saying much since there is a Market Basket on every corner, outnumbered only by Dunkin'! ;)

----------

I would say more than possible, it's probable.

----------

Hey, Mate, does it really matter where in MA the Walmart is located? What's important is that riffraff shop there, and not the nice people who shop in Walmart in the Midwest.

And our friend doesn't want to be associated with riffraff, who will rip him off in the parking lot...unlike the nice people who shopped at Walmart in the Midwest.

He probably lives near me...I'm riffraff if I ever saw riffraff!! :p

;) :rolleyes: :D

I have seen your posts. You sound FAR too intelligent to be like the riff-raff I speak of. But who knows? Maybe you have ten kids, trashy tattoos, and wear your pants closer to your ankles than your waist. IDK.

FWIW I was raised in So Cal and the WalMarts were different there too. The WalMarts in MA (or the one I went to) seem to be the very reason the stereotype exists.

Last edited:

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Since you are in a sour mood, here's something to make your day worse.

You should have unlocked you old phone first before buying the new one. The reason it get messed up is that, your old phone is not associated anymore with your number thats why AT&T can't find it anymore in their system. And your new phone is still within contract so its not yet eligible for unlock.

Relax its just a phone... Have fun skiing!!!!

Thank you. I am always relaxed. Stress relaxes me. Luckily I have the luxury of having other people deal with my phone and other mundane tasks. I should do nothing, as in my view I already pay the provider to do things for me.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Realize that Apple may be worried about closing the quarter with hundreds of millions of dollars of unsold Iphone inventory - looks very bad on the quarterly report.

Sure they'd eventually sell, but Apple may be more concerned about inventory than about margin - hence these greatly reduced prices.

Maybe we can revisit this conversation again. Maybe after they release the quarterly numbers? You can tell me why the blowout results are actually pointing to Apples eminent demise. :)

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Got my iPhone 5 for $135 with tax today, and a new contract of course...

I went to a couple Wal-Marts in my area. I did not see anything about the Hi-Res iPads being on sale. I also wasn't inquiring too much about the iPads specifically, or calling around for them. But they appeared to have the usual price tag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.