Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Drops Injunction Requests Against Apple in Europe

In yet another development in the worldwide patent battle between Apple and Samsung, The Verge reports that Samsung has dropped its requests for injunctions barring the sale of a number of Apple products in Europe. Samsung has accused Apple of infringing several standards-essential patents related to cellular technology and has been pursuing both sales bans and monetary damages. Samsung's statement reads:
Quote:
Samsung remains committed to licensing our technologies on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms, and we strongly believe it is better when companies compete fairly in the marketplace, rather than in court. In this spirit, Samsung has decided to withdraw our injunction requests against Apple on the basis of our standard essential patents pending in European courts, in the interest of protecting consumer choice.
While Samsung is portraying its move as an altruistic one focused on "protecting consumer choice", the company has been under scrutiny from the European Commission over potential antitrust issues related to licensing the standards-essential patents it owns.

Standards-essential patents are required to be licensed under FRAND (fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) terms in order to promote competition. The requirement is aimed at preventing a single company from controlling an entire industry by refusing to license patents critical to building a competing product. Apple's lawyers have argued, however, that Samsung's offers for licensing its 3G-related patents have not been reasonable.

Apple has been pushing for greater clarification of how patents subject to FRAND terms should be licensed, and has been one of a number of parties to argue that standards-essential patents should not be used as the basis for requests for sales injunctions as the patents are intended to be licensed.

Article Link: Samsung Drops Injunction Requests Against Apple in Europe
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Not sure if this really means anything. Maybe they are playing nice with each other
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Funny, Macrumors spins this story against Samsung, other tech sites spin this story against Apple.

Who to trust?

I just want the companies to get back to producing kick *** phones and devices.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
Funny, Macrumors spins this story against Samsung, other tech sites spin this story against Apple.

Who to trust?
Funny, everywhere I've read is spinning this story against Samsung for making such a ridiculous statement - 'in the interest of protecting consumer choice'.

Give me some places that are spinning this against Apple.
bbeagle is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:05 AM   #5
thekris1234
macrumors member

I agree with what was said in the comments on another site. I think Samsung have pulled out because of the threat from the EU to investigate abuse of SEP's.

I believe Motorola is already being investigated.
thekris1234 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Tech198
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
Funny, everywhere I've read is spinning this story against Samsung for making such a ridiculous statement - 'in the interest of protecting consumer choice'.

Give me some places that are spinning this against Apple.

Lol.. Yep.... But sees it all about "competing faily". .. How the hell did Samung take soo long?

another bird has died off before Samsung relied "in spirit"

Personally, this is where you Really wanna have a "we agree not to sue u" type aggreement.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Anything lawsuit Samsung Apple page 2 please?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:10 AM   #8
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Samsung stops wasting time and money and saves itself the embarrassment of losing in court. End of story.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:17 AM   #9
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Apple/Samsung, stop bothering each other and start innovating! I don't want to see a slightly updated 5S or S4.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:17 AM   #10
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Not pleased with the Note 2, GS III, or iPhone 5? If not, you may want to look at your standards.
Admittedly, the iPad 4 and latest Galaxy Tabs aren't exactly doing anything special, just speed upgrades.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:21 AM   #11
oliversl
macrumors 6502a

Is not funny, its a fact:

- Samsung oem some 3G patents that Broadcom licensed, Apple uses the licensed Broadcom chips and now Samsung says that from all companies that uses the Broadcom chips, Apple should pay more and the other companies not.
- Apple innovate in physical design and GUI, Samsung blatantly copied both, and Samsung says it should be allowed to copy and don't pay.

Quote:

Who to trust?

Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:23 AM   #12
dennno
macrumors regular

Who's complaining? Let's all be selfish, the end of all these court battles is better for us consumers.
dennno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Not pleased with the Note 2, GS III, or iPhone 5? If not, you may want to look at your standards.
Admittedly, the iPad 4 and latest Galaxy Tabs aren't exactly doing anything special, just speed upgrades.
I am satisfied with the Note II more so than any other device I've used in the past 5 years. It really brings me back to my Palm TX days. I use it more than my iPad.

I agree however, that most of the slates being introduced aren't more than incremental updates save for the iPad Mini which really only keeps me interested because of it's size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversl View Post
Is not funny, its a fact:

- Samsung oem some 3G patents that Broadcom licensed, Apple uses the licensed Broadcom chips and now Samsung says that from all companies that uses the Broadcom chips, Apple should pay more and the other companies not.
- Apple innovate in physical design and GUI, Samsung blatantly copied both, and Samsung says it should be allowed to copy and don't pay.
And Apple ripped off many a tech company in its day and vice versa and we've never seen such nonsense in the courts. Or at least it was kept quite.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:38 AM   #14
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Samsung remains committed to licensing our technologies on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms, and we strongly believe it is better when companies compete fairly in the marketplace, rather than in court. In this spirit, Samsung has decided to withdraw our injunction requests against Apple on the basis of our standard essential patents pending in European courts, in the interest of protecting consumer choice.
This is a load of bollocks.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 AM   #15
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Next week: Apple and Samsung take long hot shower together.
D.T. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Fanboy4ever
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Next week: Apple and Samsung take long hot shower together.
Next week we will all be GONE! ... end of the World coming this week ... or, haven't you heard yet ....
Fanboy4ever is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:50 AM   #17
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

This type of news again?
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:51 AM   #18
Fanboy4ever
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
Who's complaining? Let's all be selfish, the end of all these court battles is better for us consumers.

Not for lawyers ... think how much money these bas&^%@ have been making riding this wave ....
Fanboy4ever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:51 AM   #19
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
While Samsung is portraying its move as an altruistic one focused on "protecting consumer choice"
Looks like Samsung is taking a play from Google's propaganda playbook.
LagunaSol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:53 AM   #20
ryanasimov
macrumors regular

A show of hands, please... Who would prefer that all future stories about Apple/Samsung legal wranglings be relegated to Page 2?
ryanasimov is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:01 AM   #21
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy4ever View Post
Next week we will all be GONE! ... end of the World coming this week ... or, haven't you heard yet ....
I totally forgot! I probably need to mail these Christmas cards _today_.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanasimov View Post
A show of hands, please... Who would prefer that all future stories about Apple/Samsung legal wranglings be relegated to Page 2?
Yeah, I sometimes wish there was additional sub-categories to the main news section, like: new products, legal, competitive analysis/financial, etc (in addition to the sort of platform specific sections).
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:02 AM   #22
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

It's all a bit boring now.
TheRainKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:06 AM   #23
kas23
macrumors 603

Phew! Thank God I got my Apple vs Samsung update today. I feel much relieved now.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:11 AM   #24
AirThis
macrumors 6502a

Samsung = bad, bad, Puddy Tat. Apple = Angelic Tweety...

Or at least that's how some of these PR spins read. I wish these two companies would just sit down and sort out their differences. I appreciate the quality of Samsung equipment.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:11 AM   #25
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:

And Apple ripped off many a tech company in its day and vice versa and we've never seen such nonsense in the courts. Or at least it was kept quite.
There were many court stories about others suing apple back in the day as well, but we weren't reading them online every day. Nothing really changed.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion