Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1
telebump
macrumors newbie

Updating RAM on new iMac

My BTO is arriving this afternoon, and I bought 32GB of RAM from crucial and was hoping someone could answer a question for me. Is it fine to just install the RAM before I even start it up the first time, or is there a reason I should wait until I know everything works fine? Thanks in advance!
telebump is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by telebump View Post
My BTO is arriving this afternoon, and I bought 32GB of RAM from crucial and was hoping someone could answer a question for me. Is it fine to just install the RAM before I even start it up the first time, or is there a reason I should wait until I know everything works fine? Thanks in advance!
It wouldn't be a bad idea to start it first, just to make sure there are no problems before you modify anything.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:20 PM   #3
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea to start it first, just to make sure there are no problems before you modify anything.
I've done it both ways in the past, but the older and wiser me agrees. Boot that baby up once and make sure it works first. Also, run a Hardware Test (hold down D during startup) after putting in the RAM.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:42 PM   #4
sjz88
macrumors member

Is there anything I need to do to "install" the RAM or do I simply put it in?
sjz88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:45 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjz88 View Post
Is there anything I need to do to "install" the RAM or do I simply put it in?
Just insert the RAM modules in the slots. Your iMac will come with instructions on how to add or replace RAM. It's extremely simple. Once you've installed it, just turn your Mac on and it will recognize and use the RAM. There is no "setup" process.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:03 PM   #6
sjz88
macrumors member

Quote:
Just insert the RAM modules in the slots. Your iMac will come with instructions on how to add or replace RAM. It's extremely simple. Once you've installed it, just turn your Mac on and it will recognize and use the RAM. There is no "setup" process.
There are no such instructions in the iMac box unfortunately.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:05 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
There are no such instructions in the iMac box unfortunately.
So they no longer include any printed information with new Macs?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
sjz88
macrumors member

Quote:
So they no longer include any printed information with new Macs?
No, only a very small pictured booklet with the basic OS X features for complete noobies.

So I only insert the RAM in the free slots and start up? Nothing else?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:11 PM   #9
skyenet
macrumors regular

Quote:
Did it myself this morning. Dead easy but as the others said its worth booting up with the original RAM just to check everything is running fine.

I then disconnected all connections and pushed the catch in the area where the Power Plug fits. This is quite stiff and I used small pencil to push it till it clipped free and the door on the RAM opens. You need to push two levers to the side (clearly marked) and then the RAM tray folds down a touch. As A precaution I used an earthing strap and then pulled out the two original 4GB modules. Then just locate the guides and push in the four 8GB modules and close it back up and start the iMac up again and hey presto you now have 32GB, I hope :-)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:13 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
No, only a very small pictured booklet with the basic OS X features for complete noobies.

So I only insert the RAM in the free slots and start up? Nothing else?
Yes, unless you want to replace the installed RAM with higher-capacity modules. If not, just use the free slots.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:20 PM   #11
sjz88
macrumors member

Okay so I did that. Really simple. The 2x8GB RAM modules from crucial run perfectly. Now I have 24GB @1600 Mhz. More than enough for me. Thanks for the help. I didn't expect it to be that simple!
And by the way: WOW does this machine boot fast! Less than 10 seconds and my startup apps (Mail, Chrome, better touch, Steam) run in less than 3 more seconds
Amazing, I love Fusion drive!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:35 PM   #12
Divided
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Okay so I did that. Really simple. The 2x8GB RAM modules from crucial run perfectly. Now I have 24GB @1600 Mhz. More than enough for me. Thanks for the help. I didn't expect it to be that simple!
And by the way: WOW does this machine boot fast! Less than 10 seconds and my startup apps (Mail, Chrome, better touch, Steam) run in less than 3 more seconds
Amazing, I love Fusion drive!
Do you guys recommend mixing the Crucial sticks with the Apple sticks? Any potential issues with that set up?
Divided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:41 PM   #13
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divided View Post
Do you guys recommend mixing the Crucial sticks with the Apple sticks? Any potential issues with that set up?
No, you can mix brands and capacities with no problems.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:43 PM   #14
classicaliberal
macrumors regular

I added 2additional 8GB sticks to mine last night. 24GB total. I was blown away with how HARD it was to push the button releasing the RAM cover. There was NO WAY you could do that with your bare hands. I had to grab a key and push as hard as I could to get it to release. It's not a huge deal since you don't change out RAM very often... but I have to admit, it sure didn't seem 'Apple Designed' to me.
classicaliberal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:49 PM   #15
vladfein
macrumors regular

Quote:
No, you can mix brands and capacities with no problems.
As long as they have the same frequency, CL, CAS, etc.
vladfein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Gelite55
macrumors regular

Stick with Crucial and you should be fine.
Gelite55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:38 PM   #17
sjz88
macrumors member

Crucials RAM works perfectly fine. Stick with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicaliberal View Post
I added 2additional 8GB sticks to mine last night. 24GB total. I was blown away with how HARD it was to push the button releasing the RAM cover. There was NO WAY you could do that with your bare hands. I had to grab a key and push as hard as I could to get it to release. It's not a huge deal since you don't change out RAM very often... but I have to admit, it sure didn't seem 'Apple Designed' to me.
I used a little coin and with that it was no problem whatsoever to lift the lid.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac