Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
To me it is pretty clear that Apple and their users won this battle. :)

To me, it's pretty clear that the RDF is strong in this one :D

How is a public apology, the firing of an exec as fall out from poor app quality, and bad public press (hello Australia) considered a win?

And why is this a battle in the first place?! And the last time I checked, I, as a user in the Apple ecosystem, wasn't doing battle against Google. I "won" because I now have a map app from Google, but I certainly wasn't battling them in the first place (and most likely, you weren't either).

Apple executed on a strategic decision to go into map services because they weren't able to come to terms with Google for improving the original map app. Google released a map app for everyone on iOS who wishes to use it. End of story.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
And why is this a battle in the first place?! And the last time I checked, I, as a user in the Apple ecosystem, wasn't doing battle against Google.

Of course you are. Google has a competing platform. They compete for developers. They also compete with Apple hardware by providing 1) their own hardware, or 2) by providing free software to Asian manufacturers to create their own product lines. As a result, you are impacted as a consumer. Positively in some ways, but negatively in others.

Apple executed on a strategic decision to go into map services because they weren't able to come to terms with Google for improving the original map app.

Apple has planned on its own map services for years. And rightly so. Once Google became a direct competitor with Android, it would be insanity to remain dependent on Google services in iOS.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Of course you are. Google has a competing platform. They compete for developers. They also compete with Apple hardware by providing 1) their own hardware, or 2) by providing free software to Asian manufacturers to create their own product lines. As a result, you are impacted as a consumer. Positively in some ways, but negatively in others.

Apple has planned on its own map services for years. And rightly so. Once Google became a direct competitor with Android, it would be insanity to remain dependent on Google services in iOS.

You type the same response all the time. As if the more you type it - the more it becomes true.

MacNewbie03

macrumors regular
I downloaded Google Maps. I have an iPhone 4, a phone that Apple decided to to not support turn by turn directions on their Map app. With Google I can have turn by turn, just need AT&T to get with the program and get better data coverage in my area.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
I disagree. Even though I'm using an iPhone, it doesn't mean I'm battling Google. I wouldn't even know against what principles or issues I'm battling Google on. I may be impacted as a consumer but I'm not fighting against Google. To give another example, just because I use Comcast as my ISP/cable provider doesn't mean I'm against Verizon FIOS, RCN, Time Warner, etc. Sure, I'll be interested if any of those companies release services that I may find interesting (and that might incentivize me to switch). But I surely don't hate those other companies.

I think that's the major issue with many of the posters on this board; many always think if you use Apple products, you are (and MUST be) inherently against everyone else. That perspective gets tiresome and banal.

Agreed... it was the right choice for Apple to do this. I just wonder if they really were ready to take on the challenge of providing mapping services.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I disagree. Even though I'm using an iPhone, it doesn't mean I'm battling Google. I wouldn't even know against what principles or issues I'm battling Google on. I may be impacted as a consumer but I'm not fighting against Google. To give another example, just because I use Comcast as my ISP/cable provider doesn't mean I'm against Verizon FIOS, RCN, Time Warner, etc. Sure, I'll be interested if any of those companies release services that I may find interesting (and that might incentivize me to switch). But I surely don't hate those other companies.

I think that's the major issue with many of the posters on this board; many always think if you use Apple products, you are (and MUST be) inherently against everyone else. That perspective gets tiresome and banal.

Well said.

It further mind boggles these people when you have multiple phones and/or tech in the same house but MUST be pro one or the other. Very black and white. Very said. And yes - tiresome.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I read that Apple was forced by google to make their own app because Google wouldn't let them have turn by turn directions. So, blame Google.

I never had a problem with Apple Maps. The only part I didn't like was that they no longer had integration with public transit.

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Out of curiosity, I compared Tokyo on both maps and I'm not seeing the huge difference. If anything, I'm seeing more POI's, details, such as grassy areas, better color coding (pink for hospitals), etc. on Apple maps... all while maintaining a less busy look. There are some places that are easier to identify in Google maps, thanks to company logos, though it's only helpful if you can recognize them. Either Apple made some huge strides in the past couple of months or it's possible that because both show different details at different zoom levels you may have missed the details that have always existed on Apple maps.

No of course it isn't like you're looking at an entirely different area, but it seems there are some small but potentially (though I don't know the area so I can't say for sure) critical differences.

----------

Math fail.

I love it when people try and be pedantic.

Stats 100: different samples of the same population can have different probabilities.

Of course, we both know he's just making up numbers.

----------

this, I hope they sort this out.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Google suggested this is better than the android version. Having just switched from a SG2, I'd love to know how!

You can, you just tap and hold on any point.

Isn't this how it always worked? :confused:

Last edited:

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
To me, it's pretty clear that the RDF is strong in this one :D

How is a public apology, the firing of an exec as fall out from poor app quality, and bad public press (hello Australia) considered a win?

And why is this a battle in the first place?! And the last time I checked, I, as a user in the Apple ecosystem, wasn't doing battle against Google. I "won" because I now have a map app from Google, but I certainly wasn't battling them in the first place (and most likely, you weren't either).

Apple executed on a strategic decision to go into map services because they weren't able to come to terms with Google for improving the original map app. Google released a map app for everyone on iOS who wishes to use it. End of story.

Actually, I did participate in the battle. And, if you are an iOS user, so did you! My part was to vote with my wallet and buy an iPhone as opposed to an Android phone. And yes, my "team" won! RDF FTW!!!!!! :D

I already described how this can be considered a win for Apple and, since you didn’t bother to respond to the legitimate points that I made, I won’t bother to respond to yours! :p :D

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Actually, I did participate in the battle. And, if you are an iOS user, so did you! My part was to vote with my wallet and buy an iPhone as opposed to an Android phone. And yes, my "team" won! RDF FTW!!!!!! :D

I already described how this can be considered a win for Apple and, since you didn’t bother to respond to the legitimate points that I made, I won’t bother to respond to yours! :p :D

Buying AAPL or GOOG shares puts you in this "battle" (whatever this battle is), buying an iPhone or Android phone does not. Period.

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Bitter?

You realize your anger is misplaced. As it's clear you haven't read the full thread, I'll explain this again.

Apple had a contract with Google that pre-dated TbT and other features.
Apple wanted TbT and other features
Google, in exchange, wanted better branding of their app and the integration of Lattitude.
Apple didn't want to concede
Google didn't want to concede
They were at an impasse.
Apple kicked Google to the curb.

Cut to the present: Google releases an App. They get the branding they were requesting (the app is called Google Maps). I'm not sure whether or not they will integrate Lattitude with Google Maps. And to be honest - I haven't checked the App Store if there is a Lattitude app. But regardless - you wanting to blame Apple is shortsighted. Both companies couldn't reach an agreement.

Unless you just think Google should have just caved to any demands Apple was making. If that's the case - you shouldn't ever own or manage a business.

My .02.

Why is my anger at Google misplaced? How is better branding and Latitude going to benefit the consumer that wants to get from point A to point B?

As long as the iPhone had an inferior google Maps app, Google was ok with it. The minute google maps gets kicked to the curb by Apple, google introduces their third party app with the TbT capabilities that Apple was requesting in the first place.

Unless you think Apple should of just caved in to Google's strong arm tactics and ignored Apple's loyal customer base....If that's the case, you sir should never own or manage a business! That's my two cents.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Why is my anger at Google misplaced? How is better branding and Latitude going to benefit the consumer that wants to get from point A to point B?

As long as the iPhone had an inferior google Maps app, Google was ok with it. The minute google maps gets kicked to the curb by Apple, google introduces their third party app with the TbT capabilities that Apple was requesting in the first place.

Unless you think Apple should of just caved in to Google's strong arm tactics and ignored Apple's loyal customer base....If that's the case, you sir should never own or manage a business! That's my two cents.

What do you think about this when Apple does it? How many companies cave to Apple's strong arm tactics? Apple ignored their own loyal customer base by releasing their own half baked maps app, with the intent to kick Google to the curb. Unfortunately, it backfired on them.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Maybe now you see why they were at an impasse. Apple AND Google each wanted something the other wasn't willing to part with unless they got something in return.

Both Apple and Google should be on your "angry" list. But it's ok - just go on and hate Google - clearly they are evil and don't care about you at all. Apple is clearly a company that cares about its customers and never ever does wrong by them. Ever. :rolleyes:

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
What do you think about this when Apple does it? How many companies cave to Apple's strong arm tactics? Apple ignored their own loyal customer base by releasing their own half baked maps app, with the intent to kick Google to the curb. Unfortunately, it backfired on them.

How did it backfire on Apple? The iPhone now has two free map apps. One comes preinstalled and the other you can find in the App store by google that can provide TbT. That is all Apple wanted from Google maps.

----------

Maybe now you see why they were at an impasse. Apple AND Google each wanted something the other wasn't willing to part with unless they got something in return.

Both Apple and Google should be on your "angry" list. But it's ok - just go on and hate Google - clearly they are evil and don't care about you at all. Apple is clearly a company that cares about its customers and never ever does wrong by them. Ever. :rolleyes:

This article is about google maps and I blame google for not having TbT on previous versions. Period. Never did I say that apple is blame free on other issues regarding the iPhone.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
How did it backfire on Apple? The iPhone now has two free map apps. One comes preinstalled and the other you can find in the App store by google that can provide TbT. That is all Apple wanted from Google maps.

Realistically Apple wants to kick Google to the curb and they intended to do it with their own map app. Unfortunately for Apple and it's customers, it's not quite ready for prime time.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
"Now we get 2 free map apps!" :eek:

Well...Yes from a consumer's point of view but anyway I only got one that's working (hint: Google Maps)

BUT Apple's corporate image has already suffered great damage. If you read through the App Store comments you can easily find something like "Suck it Apple", "Google Maps is the best! Thank you!", "Miss you so much Google Maps". Now Google is the God and there's no issues whatsoever (at least in consumers' mind). On the other hand, Apple means sloppy software, melting cities, missing POIs, etc. etc.

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Realistically Apple wants to kick Google to the curb and they intended to do it with their own map app. Unfortunately for Apple and it's customers, it's not quite ready for prime time.

Realistically, Apple could have done it by not accepting Googles submission of Google Maps into the app store, but Apple knows how to build a loyal customer base.....

iSlicer

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
Himeji, Japan
Rage

So, again: Why are you elated that google maps is back?

1) Apple Maps integrates well with your contacts, Google maps does not.
2) Apple Maps shows way more points of interest.
3) Apple Maps integrates (obviously) very well with Siri.
4) Apple Maps shows you road islands and where you are able to u-turn, Google Maps just show a road.
5) Apple Maps rotate smoothly when turning, Google Maps does not.
6) Apple Maps has an excellent and clear voice system, Google Maps (Sorry Americans) sounds very nasal and unclear.
7) Apple Maps is more clear and beautiful HOWEVER, Google Maps street names are slightly more legible.
8) Apple Maps get me from the city to my home without asking me to turn right at a NO RIGHT turn and Apple Maps didn't ask me to re-route around 3 kilometres due to the failure of the NO RIGHT turn.

I am going to film this, side by side on my dash, because the Google Fans will not believe me that Google Maps is giving me false directions.

LASTLY: Apple came out of the gates with a product that was not perfect, but was very very useable and clean (better on some accounts, worse on others when compare to googles offering). Difference, Apple as had their product out for a couple of months. Google has had theirs out for 10+ years. I love how comments have said "Good start and solid app out the gate for Google". WANKERS.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Realistically, Apple could have done it by not accepting Googles submission of Google Maps into the app store, but Apple knows how to build a loyal customer base.....

It's just a FUD built by Google (that Apple wouldn't approve Google Maps), there are a lot of Google apps on the App Store already.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

They didn't have much choice, their map app is a train wreck.

Renzatic

Suspended
LASTLY: Apple came out of the gates with a product that was not perfect, but was very very useable and clean (better on some accounts, worse on others when compare to googles offering). Difference, Apple as had their product out for a couple of months. Google has had theirs out for 10+ years. I love how comments have said "Good start and solid app out the gate for Google". WANKERS.

I think you're missing the point. No one is bashing Apple for not having a perfect app right out of the gate. You're right. Google has been accruing data for years and years now. It's not far to compare the two on that front.

We're bashing Apple for completely replacing a well established and mature platform for one that wasn't quite up to par, and not giving anyone any choice in the matter.

Though I would love to test out Apple's turn by turn directions and compare them directly against Google's. Only problem with that is I have an iPhone 4. Apple maps are nigh on useless for me.

iSlicer

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
Himeji, Japan
I think you're missing the point. No one is bashing Apple for not having a perfect app right out of the gate. You're right. Google has been accruing data for years and years now. It's not far to compare the two on that front.

We're bashing Apple for completely replacing a well established and mature platform for one that wasn't quite up to par, and not giving anyone any choice in the matter.

Though I would love to test out Apple's turn by turn directions and compare them directly against Google's. Only problem with that is I have an iPhone 4. Apple maps are nigh on useless for me.

OK, I get it, so we continue to bash Apple, even now that google has put its "best" app forward and been accepted. We keep bashing... Got it. I will continue to use Apple Maps.

Renzatic

Suspended
OK, I get it, so we continue to bash Apple, even now that google has put its "best" app forward and been accepted. We keep bashing... Got it. I will continue to use Apple Maps.

Good. If it works for you, then use it.

I find this whole situation exasperating to the nth degree here. It's funny how no one had anything bad to say about Google maps until Apple released their own app.

Now you have people coming out of the wood work to tell us how crappy Google is, and Apple works perfectly for them all the time. Apparently only Apple Haters and Fandroids have anything negative to say about blah blah blah and derp derp derp and damn...it's tiring.

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
They didn't have much choice, their map app is a train wreck.

Really? for you maybe, since you think so. As for me, I began using it the first week it came out and I have not found an issue with it yet. I like the Siri integration and how it uses my address book to pull up the address of the people I visit. I had never been to Chicago and the Apple map app led me directly to my relative's current address. This is my personal experience with the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.