Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

promotagged

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
I just purchased my first imac yesterday and got the 21.5 inch. When I first opened the box to set up, I plugged in the plug into the electrical outlet and the imac turned on automatically without the need of pressing a button.

Then I wanted to switch the location of where to plug in the electrical outlet and so I went to apple and shutdown at the top. I unplugged the outlet and plugged in the outlet again and it turned on right away again....

Is something wrong? Is there a power button on the iMac?

Thanks in advance...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
does anyone know?

There should be a power button on the back of your Mac, also there are settings in the Energy saver Preference Pane, see screenshot, there is a setting to automatically start after a power cut, which is the same as unplugging when the Mac is not of, you probably did not shut down the iMac properly and that's why it starts up again without your input.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 419

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Do people normally leave their iMacs in sleep mode a la the iPhone/iPad or is it good to shut it off completely?

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Do people normally leave their iMacs in sleep mode a la the iPhone/iPad or is it good to shut it off completely?
I always turn off my iMac whenever I don't use it. It shuts down in 5 seconds and powers on in 35. There's no need to have it switched on all day and night.

promotagged

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies...

I have the box that says start up automatically after power failure unchecked...
2zjfkbb.png

Also when I first took the imac out of the box, it started up automatically once i plugged in the electrical outlet...

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I just purchased my first imac yesterday and got the 21.5 inch. When I first opened the box to set up, I plugged in the plug into the electrical outlet and the imac turned on automatically without the need of pressing a button.

Then I wanted to switch the location of where to plug in the electrical outlet and so I went to apple and shutdown at the top. I unplugged the outlet and plugged in the outlet again and it turned on right away again....

Is something wrong? Is there a power button on the iMac?

Thanks in advance...

Apple recommends putting the computer to sleep unless you aren't going to use it for days. I have always only set my display up to sleep, this uses the least power and the system is always there. It's also better for the system because heat cycles (turning it on and off) is what is harmful to electronics.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I turn mine on in the morning and use sleep mode all day. Then before I go to bed, I shut it down. That way each day I get a fresh reboot.

Tucson Allen

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Sleep mode to prevent dust from settling?

My daughter (IT system set-ups for Price Club/Costco stores and Help Desk) in 1998-99 when I got my first iMac, suggested leaving it in sleep mode rather than shutting it down. She thought that less dust would settle on the components if it were not turned off. I still think this is good advice. The original iMacs had an open top, later ones had a slot in the back near the top, and the 2012s have no slot at the top but air circulates throughout the innards by convection coming out at the vent if the machine stays a little warm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.