Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
It's pretty bad, and only getting worse. If you're interested, the following articles explain pretty well why developer support has overwhelmingly been on Apple's side:

The shocking toll of hardware and software fragmentation on Android development

iOS v Android: why Schmidt was wrong and developers still start on Apple

Current estimates peg the AppStore as having sold about 20x more than the Google Play store. I've read that some developers have actually had to hire additional support staff just to handle the onslaught of emails which came in after deciding to support Android, the majority of which were handset specific complaints. The developers are deciding to put their resources towards a second iOS app, instead of porting their existing app to Android.

One specific dev complained their Android app had 1/4th the revenue as their iOS app, while costing 4x to support. He ended up dropping Android altogether once he realized it was costing him 16x more to bring his apps to market.

I hope more app developers will abandon Android... The future is brighter with iOS

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
..So Apple released a smaller ipad that is cannibalizing their existing product line.

Cannibalizing is only a problem in a couple circumstances. One, if you have a huge inventory of finished product that is languishing on shelves. iPad4 is not, Apple does not over-supply. Two, if the better-selling product has a drastically lower margin, costing the company money. iPad Mini is lower (per Apple), but not so much it will cost them in the long run.

This is simply a non-issue with Apple's current business methodology.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I hope more app developers will abandon Android... The future is brighter with iOS

Sadly . . . for you.

More and more are adopting it or making platform agnostic apps and services. Besides, if there was no Android and handset makers for Android you'd be stuck with the same stale OS and handset that you've been stuck with almost 3 years now.

Windows Mobile is another story. I hope they take off but if Google doesn't sign on then what's most folks to do?

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
The link says the data is from:

"Data collected during a 7-day period ending on October 1, 2012"

The data is not representative of the totality of all devices ever sold, this represents data collected from people who have used their devices between September 24th 2012 to October 1st 2012. This is on Google's developer website, to help developers decide which screen sizes to develop for.

This is Google's data, not a third-party source, and not an analyst guess.

Can you provide a source for your facts? Considering Samsung only releases "shipped" numbers and not "sold" numbers, I'm interested to see your source on this. The recent Apple vs. Samsung court case revealed the truth behind Samsung's purported sales numbers:

More Secrets Revealed: Galaxy Tab's uninspiring U.S. Sales Numbers

I believe IDC research listed the S3 as the best selling phone of Q3 2012.
And many sources put S3 sales at 30 million from launch to early November Nothing controversial here.

In addition Samsung reported 3 million Note 2 phones sold here.

SEOUL, South Korea—Samsung Electronics Co. says it has sold more than 3 million Galaxy Note II smartphones in a little over a month since its launch.
The South Korean firm said Friday sales of the oversize smartphone reached the figure 37 days after its September release.
The Note II is one of the two key mobile devicesfrom Samsung on the high-end smartphone market. It features an oversize screen that measures 5.5 inch diagonally and a digital pen for note-taking.
Research firm IDC estimates Samsung topped the global smartphone market in the July-September third quarter with 56.3 million sales, more than double Apple’s 26.9 iPhone sales

Don't get me wrong I'm a big Apple fan otherwise I wouldn't care enough to post but I'd love a dual utility device. the S3 and Note really provide a reasonable web browsing platform. whereas the 5's long 4" screen is only marginally better if at all than the the 4s. I mean with the cost of data plans whose streaming movies on their 5 anyway. But web browsing emailing is just easier and more rewarding with a bit more real estate

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Don't get me wrong I'm a big Apple fan otherwise I wouldn't care enough to post but I'd love a dual utility device. the S3 and Note really provide a reasonable web browsing platform. whereas the 5's long 4" screen is only marginally better if at all than the the 4s. I mean with the cost of data plans whose streaming movies on their 5 anyway. But web browsing emailing is just easier and more rewarding with a bit more real estate

100% agree and I thank you for joining the discussion. I went with the Note 2 for that screen, the S-Pen which is GROSSLY underestimated, and Google integration.

I do stream movies with Netflix and watching them on a 720p screen is just phenomenal. Android is decent and Samsung does take it a step above with the features of the Note.

Now if Apple makes an iPhone 5s HD . . . . . . :cool:

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I am somewhat torn about my iphone5. While I do love it, I sometimes think it might be nicer with a larger screen, but then I also love the fact that it is easily pocket-able, and so easy to use with one hand, which I find myself doing all the time. I'd probably love the larger screen for a few days and then it would probably end up being more of a pain after trying to use it one-handed and fitting comfortably in my pockets.

Then again, I do have the iPAD for when I want a larger screen. Like someone mentioned before, I think I would prefer 2 devices over one that is too larger to be used comfortably as a phone and too small to be used comfortably as a tablet.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I got my iPhone 5 yesterday and I honestly don't know how I lived with the 3.5" screen for so long! It is BEAUTIFUL.

I honestly am SO glad that they didn't go wider (yet) because I love texting one handed and the screen as it is is about the perfect width to do that (for me).

I agree landscape web and some other apps are a bit strange now, but I prefer portrait anyway for most things.

Also gaming is SO much better, my fingers never seem to get in the way now!

I just am really happy with it in general. I think the iPhone 6 (after the 5S) will bring a bigger screen again (going wider). Who knows though!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I am somewhat torn about my iphone5. While I do love it, I sometimes think it might be nicer with a larger screen, but then I also love the fact that it is easily pocket-able, and so easy to use with one hand, which I find myself doing all the time. I'd probably love the larger screen for a few days and then it would probably end up being more of a pain after trying to use it one-handed and fitting comfortably in my pockets.

Then again, I do have the iPAD for when I want a larger screen. Like someone mentioned before, I think I would prefer 2 devices over one that is too larger to be used comfortably as a phone and too small to be used comfortably as a tablet.

Well, the good news is that a GS3 and/or Note isn't too big to fit in anyone's pocket. I've taken my Note 2, my wife's GS3 and her company's iPhone and stuck them in my left pocket just fine. I am 5'10" by the way.

I felt the same as you, but I don't consider the iPad portable anymore (the Note 2 has spoiled me). And I can't use it to do much typing on it unless I have a keyboard. Otherwise I am using two hands, which I can do easier on my Note.

One thing I noticed after getting used to my phone is that I never consider it to be too large. The GS3 looks average now, the EVO that I came from is small, and the iPhone downright tiny. The only thing you'll miss by going to a larger phone will be iOS. If you need, live and breath iOS, stick with the iPhone.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
Well, the good news is that a GS3 and/or Note isn't too big to fit in anyone's pocket. I've taken my Note 2, my wife's GS3 and her company's iPhone and stuck them in my left pocket just fine. I am 5'10" by the way.

I felt the same as you, but I don't consider the iPad portable anymore (the Note 2 has spoiled me). And I can't use it to do much typing on it unless I have a keyboard. Otherwise I am using two hands, which I can do easier on my Note.

One thing I noticed after getting used to my phone is that I never consider it to be too large. The GS3 looks average now, the EVO that I came from is small, and the iPhone downright tiny. The only thing you'll miss by going to a larger phone will be iOS. If you need, live and breath iOS, stick with the iPhone.

Oh, yeah, i can totally see those phones fitting in your pocket, but i'm talking about comfortably, where they can quickly and easily slide in and out. I'm no skinny jean wearing kinda guy, but I would assume it would become an issue at times not only putting those large phones in your pocket but also feeling like they would snap if you sat down with it turned the wrong way lol, (probably will never happen, just one of those things you worry about)

I'm also 5'10". It is funny how we wanted our phones smaller and smaller, and now they are getting bigger and bigger. Personally though, as you mentioned I will always stick with iOS, it just works flawlessly with my other apple products...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Oh, yeah, i can totally see those phones fitting in your pocket, but i'm talking about comfortably, where they can quickly and easily slide in and out. I'm no skinny jean wearing kinda guy, but I would assume it would become an issue at times not only putting those large phones in your pocket but also feeling like they would snap if you sat down with it turned the wrong way lol, (probably will never happen, just one of those things you worry about)

I'm also 5'10". It is funny how we wanted our phones smaller and smaller, and now they are getting bigger and bigger. Personally though, as you mentioned I will always stick with iOS, it just works flawlessly with my other apple products...

I do mean comfortably as well. They are all rather thin, and even easier to tell apart when put together. I could reach in and easily pull out the iPhone or the Note.

I too remember those days. My first cellphone was a bean compared to even the iPhone. My Palm TX which I loved, had a whooping 4" screen. Now, we just do too much with our phones and always need to stay connected.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I left Apple after owning every iPhone since the first day of release (except the 5) and went to the Galaxy s3.

Just wanted a WIDER phone (not just longer). Not the happiest with the galaxy, because im used to the iPhone, but it is wider - and being able to customize everything - is very nice. LOTS of really nice logical features.

Ill come back to the iPhone after the iPhone 5"S" in a year and a half (you know they'll milk that phone - and fanboys - for two versions) and they finally make a wider iphone like everyone else is making.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
I left Apple after owning every iPhone since the first day of release (except the 5) and went to the Galaxy s3.

Just wanted a WIDER phone (not just longer). Not the happiest with the galaxy, because im used to the iPhone, but it is wider - and being able to customize everything - is very nice. LOTS of really nice logical features.

Ill come back to the iPhone after the iPhone 5"S" in a year and a half (you know they'll milk that phone - and fanboys - for two versions) and they finally make a wider iphone like everyone else is making.

The other phones aren't just wider, they're also taller. Apple have just joined all the Android manufacturers on a 16:9 ratio, I really doubt they're about to change and go wider again.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
The other phones aren't just wider, they're also taller. Apple have just joined all the Android manufacturers on a 16:9 ratio, I really doubt they're about to change and go wider again.

I could definitely see Apple creating 2 versions of the iphone, the current slim design and then a "fatty" version for those that want larger screens. Seems to make sense to me, but who knows...i'm just a lowly fanboy lol

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I believe IDC research listed the S3 as the best selling phone of Q3 2012.
And many sources put S3 sales at 30 million from launch to early November Nothing controversial here.

In addition Samsung reported 3 million Note 2 phones sold here.

SEOUL, South Korea—Samsung Electronics Co. says it has sold more than 3 million Galaxy Note II smartphones in a little over a month since its launch.
The South Korean firm said Friday sales of the oversize smartphone reached the figure 37 days after its September release.
The Note II is one of the two key mobile devicesfrom Samsung on the high-end smartphone market. It features an oversize screen that measures 5.5 inch diagonally and a digital pen for note-taking.
Research firm IDC estimates Samsung topped the global smartphone market in the July-September third quarter with 56.3 million sales, more than double Apple’s 26.9 iPhone sales

Yes, channel sales, aka shipped:

Five million channel sales in around two months is an impressive figure for a device that, by merit of being so large, is a relatively acquired taste compared to more average sized smartphones. For context, Apple’s latest iPhone, the iPhone 5, sold more than five million units in its first three days of sale. Apple’s figure refers to sales to end users, rather than channel shipments.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/26/sa...ses-five-million-channel-sales-in-two-months/

Think about it, if these numbers were real end-user sales, Google would report much more than 6.1% of its users as having over 4 inch devices, and we wouldn't be seeing reports that the iPhone 5 is generating more web traffic than the S3 only a few weeks after release (a release where the iPhone 5 was very hard to get for months).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...-volume-already-surpasses-samsungs-galaxy-s3/

Remember, IDC research said the same thing about the Galaxy Tab...maybe they are reporting channel sales (aka shipped) numbers as well?

(Repeated for redundancy, as you mentioned IDC):

For example, in December 2010, the first quarter Samsung’s tablet launched, it announced it had sold 1 million units worldwide. According to court documents AllThingsD and CNET published yesterday, Samsung sold 262,000 in the U.S.

The discrepancy in numbers occurs again in the second quarter of 2012. A research report from IDC last week showed Samsung sold 2.3 million Galaxy Tabs worldwide. The court documents show that in the U.S., between April and June, Samsung sold 37,000 units.

More Secrets Revealed: Galaxy Tab's uninspiring U.S. Sales Numbers

All factors indicate the demand for large screen phones is not as large as we're being led to believe, and likely wont be that large until the iPhone releases a larger model (if they ever do).

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

I fit the iPad mini in my pockets comfortably, so I'm sure he's fine with the much smaller Note :)

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Forgive me, but you're mistaken. I own an iPhone 5 and have no trouble using it with one hand. I will admit that I have large hands however.

I have mostly Apple products. But, I will agree Apple needs to put out a wider iPhone. The whole "it's meant to be used with one hand" is a marketing scheme. It's not true. Watch when Apple finally launches a wider iPhone, what's their reason then?

While I love most Apple products (see signature), a lot of it is marketing BS. Remember when they came out with the iPad? They said it was the ideal size, now they have the iPad mini. The marketing department will change their tune as products roll out.

I have a regular guy's hand. I wear a large glove, not x-large...just large. I can reach well past the left or right side of the my iPhone 5 with one hand. They can easily add 1/4 inch width onto the iPhone, and I bet a wider iPhone will be out within 12 months.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
My note 2 rules. When I see people trying to squint to see their iphones it makes me laugh, they seem like childs toys now.

I know I know, just like my daughter loves her toys you all love yours also.

However after going with a reasonable screen like the galaxy note 2, I could never go back to a tiny 4 inch screen again.

Apples only chance to win me back is to come with a 5 inch 1080 pro model, but even that may not cut it. Oh and I will take my 2307 Geekbench score any day over the slow iphone 5 1500.. :cool:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I settled for humongophone, as I really wanted to get LTE and switch back to Android, and the GSIII was on sale for $50 at Best Buy. I'll see how I deal with the size. I doubt it will be that big of a deal, but it definitely won't be as nice as the 3.5" iPhone.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
My note 2 rules. When I see people trying to squint to see their iphones it makes me laugh, they seem like childs toys now.

I know I know, just like my daughter loves her toys you all love yours also.

However after going with a reasonable screen like the galaxy note 2, I could never go back to a tiny 4 inch screen again.

Apples only chance to win me back is to come with a 5 inch 1080 pro model, but even that may not cut it. Oh and I will take my 2307 Geekbench score any day over the slow iphone 5 1500.. :cool:

The iPhone 5 is the fastest phone on the market, this is an indisputable fact. Please stay on topic, there are many other threads where you can talk benchmarks:

51161.png

51162.png

51169.png

51167.png

It also has better Wifi and LTE battery life:

51000.png

50999.png

Please, stay on topic.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
The iPhone 5 is the fastest phone on the market, this is an indisputable fact. Please stay on topic, there are many other threads where you can talk benchmarks:

Please, stay on topic.

I like how you didn't post the geekbench scores for the iPhone 5 and Galaxy Note 2 because you know it's not the fastest CPU in a phone. Sorry to say, but the Galaxy Note 2 is quite a bit speedier in the CPU area. Everything else, well... It's android. Just please don't say it's the fastest when it isn't.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

Please, stay on topic.

No it isn't, you are just cherry picking which results you find agreeable. And I easily get 14 hours of actual on screen wifi web browsing with my Galaxy Note 2.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
I find it funny when I see people holding the Note up to their ears trying to make a phone call...LOL...look like idiots.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
No it isn't, you are just cherry picking which results you find agreeable. And I easily get 14 hours of actual on screen wifi web browsing with my Galaxy Note 2.

Not cherry picking. These are the most popular and widely used benchmarks in the industry, for mobile anyway. Geekbench is a conglomeration of many different benchmarks, where the iPhone 5 wins some, and the Note 2 win some, then an arbitrary "score" is given to each result (which is not tailored to represent performance on a mobile device on an ARM processor) and tallied up to get the final Geekbench score.

The biggest problem with the Note 2's processor is Android and the Java VM it's running. iOS optimization allows the A6 SoC to achieve remarkable performance in computations like the Linpack example below:

Q9QWS.png

Note-2-Linpack-Multi-Thread.jpg

The ARM processor in the Note 2 (and all other Android phones) was made specifically for low-power servers, and are not fine-tuned for mobile phone performance like the A6. This results in more instances of people complaining that the Note 2 is laggy and stutters when performing normal tasks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II7FwNEWBMk

In any case, all indications point to the A6 SoC to be faster than anything else on the market, so lets just move on. If you want to continue this, open a new thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.