Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The iPhone 5 is the fastest phone on the market, this is an indisputable fact. Please stay on topic, there are many other threads where you can talk benchmarks:

It also has better Wifi and LTE battery life:

Please, stay on topic.

Lol the Note 2 is gigantic bro, its not even a phone its a phablet.. It is a completely different market and appeals to a certain cliche of people who like gigantic phones. Plus your eyes must bleed from that low PPI, extremely reflective screen. I had a Galaxy S3 and the screen isnt that great, espciallt the pentile it was really bad with red text and colors

----------

My note 2 rules. When I see people trying to squint to see their iphones it makes me laugh, they seem like childs toys now.

I know I know, just like my daughter loves her toys you all love yours also.

However after going with a reasonable screen like the galaxy note 2, I could never go back to a tiny 4 inch screen again.

Apples only chance to win me back is to come with a 5 inch 1080 pro model, but even that may not cut it. Oh and I will take my 2307 Geekbench score any day over the slow iphone 5 1500.. :cool:

1650 benchmark score, and the GPU in the iPhone 5 blows away the Galaxy Note 2's GPU

----------

I like how you didn't post the geekbench scores for the iPhone 5 and Galaxy Note 2 because you know it's not the fastest CPU in a phone. Sorry to say, but the Galaxy Note 2 is quite a bit speedier in the CPU area. Everything else, well... It's android. Just please don't say it's the fastest when it isn't.

Well the reason why Geekbench score is higher for the Note 2 is because it has 4 cores and is clocked at 1.6 ghz compared to the i5's CPU. But we all now that the extra cores dont do too much in Android right now, most apps are not utilizing 4 cores

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Lol the Note 2 is gigantic bro, its not even a phone its a phablet.. It is a completely different market and appeals to a certain cliche of people who like gigantic phones. Plus your eyes must bleed from that low PPI, extremely reflective screen. I had a Galaxy S3 and the screen isnt that great, espciallt the pentile it was really bad with red text and colors

----------

1650 benchmark score, and the GPU in the iPhone 5 blows away the Galaxy Note 2's GPU

----------

Well the reason why Geekbench score is higher for the Note 2 is because it has 4 cores and is clocked at 1.6 ghz compared to the i5's CPU. But we all now that the extra cores dont do too much in Android right now, most apps are not utilizing 4 cores

I agree with you, I think you quoted the wrong person :)

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Not cherry picking. These are the most popular and widely used benchmarks in the industry, for mobile anyway. Geekbench is a conglomeration of many different benchmarks, where the iPhone 5 wins some, and the Note 2 win some, then an arbitrary "score" is given to each result (which is not tailored to represent performance on a mobile device on an ARM processor) and tallied up to get the final Geekbench score.

The biggest problem with the Note 2's processor is Android and the Java VM it's running. iOS optimization allows the A6 SoC to achieve remarkable performance in computations like the Linpack example below:

You are really something. You call GeekBench "not tailored to represent performance on a mobile device on an ARM processor" all the while cherry picking LinPack which is not even remotely relevant for a common smartphone user. Do you even know what LinPack is? You would not have said what you claimed if you even had a basic understanding that LinPack is for solving mathematical matrixes. Do you even know what a mathematical matrix is?

Let's put up the GeekBench scores which you so happily call irrelevant, shall we?

samsung-galaxy-s3-geekbench-benchmarks.jpg

iphone-5-benchmarks-geekbench.jpg

Oh, we easily beat the iPhone 5 with the Galaxy S3 that was released 6 months before. Gee, I wonder what the Galaxy Note 2 puts out on Geekbench? Oh, it's 1930+ from http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks! Your bias in cherry picking what you want to believe is unbelievable.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
You are really something. You call GeekBench "not tailored to represent performance on a mobile device on an ARM processor" all the while cherry picking LinPack which is not even remotely relevant for a common smartphone user. Do you even know what LinPack is? You would not have said what you claimed if you even had a basic understanding that LinPack is for solving mathematical matrixes. Do you even know what a mathematical matrix is?

Let's put up the GeekBench scores which you so happily call irrelevant, shall we?

Oh, we easily beat the iPhone 5 with the Galaxy S3 that was released 6 months before. Gee, I wonder what the Galaxy Note 2 puts out on Geekbench? Oh, it's 1930+ from http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks! Your bias in cherry picking what you want to believe is unbelievable.

You have not negated anything I've said. Your screenshots actually support my point. Do you have any technical argument that proves me wrong?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
You have not negated anything I've said. Your screenshots actually support my point. Do you have any technical argument that proves me wrong?

OMG, can you compare numbers? Higher GeekBench scores are better. Stop cherry picking and denying the S3 and the Note 2 can be faster than the iPhone 5.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
OMG, can you compare numbers? Higher GeekBench scores are better. Stop cherry picking and denying the S3 and the Note 2 can be faster than the iPhone 5.

I refuse to debate with someone who doesn't read my argument. I will allow you time to re-read my post and respond, otherwise I'll just move on ;)

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Look at the memory performance on the a6 chip, blows away the S3 in that catergory which is a much bigger advantage in my eyes for mobile os'es then a little more flops even though the extra cores on quad core android phones dont even fully utilize 4 cores yet.

If the a6 was a quad core cpu, the score would be 3000's range on Geekbench score. Core for core the A6 is much more efficient and faster most likely due to the fact that the a6 is built on the A-15 chip design and the S3 quad core cpu is built more so on the A9 tech

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Look at the memory performance on the a6 chip, blows away the S3 in that catergory which is a much bigger advantage in my eyes for mobile os'es then a little more flops even though the extra cores on quad core android phones dont even fully utilize 4 cores yet.

If the a6 was a quad core cpu, the score would be 3000's range on Geekbench score. Core for core the A6 is much more efficient and faster most likely due to the fact that the a6 is built on the A-15 chip design and the S3 quad core cpu is built more so on the A9 tech

It's not built on the A-15 chip design, which was designed for servers in mind, it goes much deeper than there. Here's some fun reading for you (if you're up to it :p)

Quote from the article:

Rumor has it that the original design goal for ARM's Cortex A15 was servers, and it's only through big.LITTLE (or other clever techniques) that the A15 would be suitable for smartphones. Given Apple's intense focus on power consumption, skipping the A15 would make sense but performance still had to improve.

The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead

And improve performance it did, Anandtech's iPhone 5 review really goes in-depth on the Apple designed A6:

It starts here and goes on for 6 pages:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/4

They particularly discuss the incredibly high Linpack scores, and chalk it up to improvements in memory latency:

Swift is simply able to hide memory latency better than the Cortex A9. Concurrent FP/memory operations seem to do very well on Swift...

In short, everything from memory latency to power consumption is an improvement. The A6 is like nothing currently available in the mobile world, an SoC built entirely from the ground up for mobile devices (iPhones and iPads running iOS) and since other manufacturers have to rely on the A15 for the forseeable future, I don't see them gaining much ground in this space any time soon.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I love all of these geekbench scores.

Now you compare the actual games and anything that uses the extra grunt and tell me they don't ALL run better on the iPhone 5, because they clearly do.

That has always been my issue with Android phones, even though I was content with them for years.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I fit the iPad mini in my pockets comfortably, so I'm sure he's fine with the much smaller Note :)

Dude, how big are your pockets!? :eek: :)

I honestly could never imaging putting an ipad mini in a pocket, I assume (HOPE) you would have to pull it out every time you want to sit down....

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Dude, how big are your pockets!? :eek: :)

I honestly could never imaging putting an ipad mini in a pocket, I assume (HOPE) you would have to pull it out every time you want to sit down....

I don't wear jeans. It fits easily in my suit pants pockets and my normal everyday pants:

WeGeXl.png

Made a thread about it a while back:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1482157/

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
LOL im sorry but that looks ridiculous. It looks like you have a ping pong bat in your pocket :eek: (or are you just please to see me?) :cool:

You're welcome :p

Luckily it is 100% unnoticeable, and I have received nothing but positive feedback in-person whenever I show someone, but I guess that won't get me any Internet Points lol

The response I usually get is "Wow the iPad mini is THAT small? I didn't even notice it in your pocket!"

:)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You're welcome :p

Luckily it is 100% unnoticeable, and I have received nothing but positive feedback in-person whenever I show someone, but I guess that won't get me any Internet Points lol

The response I usually get is "Wow the iPad mini is THAT small? I didn't even notice it in your pocket!"

:)

Hmm. I guess experiences differ. Most people I've see don't even notice its different from the 4/4S if its in a case. Matter of fact I was out to dinner with some friends and the waitress used my friends 5 in an Otterbox, it wasn't until she was handing it back that she asked if it was the 5 and she had a 4S.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Hmm. I guess experiences differ. Most people I've see don't even notice its different from the 4/4S if its in a case. Matter of fact I was out to dinner with some friends and the waitress used my friends 5 in an Otterbox, it wasn't until she was handing it back that she asked if it was the 5 and she had a 4S.

iPad mini, not iPhone 5. I know, we are way off topic now ;)

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
lol, too funny....c'mon, that cannot be comfortable man....fess up! ;)

This is making me want to go to the Apple store and try this out! lol

I once forgot it was there, and I put my phone in the same pocket. It's not a big deal at all, I'm not saying it will fit all pockets, but it fits mine just fine.

The iPad mini really changes the game, because its an iPad I can bring with me everywhere I go. :cool:

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I once forgot it was there, and I put my phone in the same pocket. It's not a big deal at all, I'm not saying it will fit all pockets, but it fits mine just fine.

The iPad mini really changes the game, because its an iPad I can bring with me everywhere I go. :cool:

yeah, i get what your saying...just giving you a little sheeeit... :)

still gonna go to the apple store and try it out lol

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Wait a minute, the argument used to be the S3 and the Note was impossible to pocket, but now the iPad Mini is easily pocketed?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.