Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:09 AM   #401
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000
 
LostSoul80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
ATT is a bottom-tier carrier that is famous for fleecing its less-informed customers. What did you expect from them?
It's a business. They want to make money, and given the popularity of iOS devices, I understand what they are trying to do.
Consider also that these are rumors.
__________________
Automatic Fans: UltraFan
LostSoul80 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:14 AM   #402
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
And on AT&T you pay $10 per phone to be added to the Family Plan and buy a data plan. Period.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1406293

yea.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:31 AM   #403
maconservative
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
People actually use FaceTime? The novelty wore off for me the first week...
I use it everyday.
__________________
Last wish? I wish ... you had ... more time.
maconservative is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:00 AM   #404
Pyrophor2011
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
This is really getting out of hand. Consumers can't even speak with their wallets anymore because once one carrier gets wind of the idea most follow suit. Someone needs to step in because we are currently looking at a world run by nickel and dimin evil execs ... oh wait. :/

Seriously though, this is getting out of hand. Data is data...

Edit: I don't even use facetime but its the principal. First it started with tethering charges, which still doesn't make sense. In a few years, half the features on our already EXPENSIVE devices will be pay per use!

Last edited by Pyrophor2011; Jul 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Pyrophor2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:46 AM   #405
strausd
macrumors 68030
 
strausd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doelcm82 View Post
If AT&T wanted to build a cell tower in your back yard, wouldn't you want them to pay you for the privilege? Or would you just say "go ahead, it' a free country"?
Bad analogy. They would be paying to use land that I own. I am paying them to use their data. Not to use data for certain features.

If we were to follow your faulty logic, then I would charge them for building a cell tower and charging them separately to use it for calls, separately to use it for texts, and separately to use it for anything else.

Your analogy is all wrong.

I pay for data. Customers own a certain amount of data per month. It is theirs, they bought it. They should use it the way they want.

Charging to use data a specific way is utter bull crap, especially since the feature is not AT&T's. They did not create the feature, they did not invent it or do anything with it. It was all Apple. It just uses data.

So based on the logic you are attempting to use, you feel it is OK for AT&T to make you pay a separate fee to stream Netflix and another fee to get on the Facebook app?

I hope you see how ridiculous your argument is.

Just to show you even more, the whole logic your argument follows would mean that you can go to any restaurant and buy a burger. Then the restaurant should charge you a fee to allow you to eat the burger you paid for. Then if you don't eat it all, they can charge you another fee to throw it away.

Everything you have been saying just leads to a decrease in freedom. Charging a fee to use a specific application on your phone is just the beginning. When does it stop?


Quote:
Originally Posted by doelcm82 View Post
You have the freedom to not use FaceTime. You have the freedom to move your account to another carrier. If you can find a better deal, that's what you should do.
I have the freedom to use FaceTime because I bought and now own a device that has that capability. I also bought data, so I should have the freedom to use that data with whatever feature I want. Not pay separately for each individual feature or application.



Quote:
Originally Posted by doelcm82 View Post
Your nostalgia for a freer country in the past is misguided. Old-timers will tell you that real freedom was when we didn't carry personal communication devices on us at all times. And we used the POTS phones in our homes sparingly because long distance was ridiculously expensive. Less than twenty years ago, access to the Internet was something you paid for by the hour, and it was so slow it could barely handle pictures, much less video.

Face Time in those days meant you were standing only a few feet away from each other.
I have already explained how are you wrong in just about everything you have said. Now you are just ranting about how you don't care about freedom anymore.

Well guess what, some Americans still want freedom. Not every citizen needs a baby-sitter.

Last edited by strausd; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
strausd is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:48 PM   #406
bigdaddyp
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Lte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeArrow View Post
Look up.

3G Unrestrictor let you facetime over 3G natively!

Great ATT! Another reason to jailbreak iOS6.
Works fantastically over Att's Lte network in Atlanta.
__________________
Fat drunk and stupid may not be the best way to go through life but it is my preferred modus operendi.
bigdaddyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:12 PM   #407
SPUY767
macrumors 68000
 
SPUY767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
So what's the problem? They love to intervene, so if they are going to do it sooner or later, why not do it sooner?
I'm not in favor or against the government, but if they love to regulate certain business behaviors and practices, let them do their job!
But it's not their job. They forgot what their actual job was long ago.
__________________
Yo' mama's so STUPID, she went to Bangkok to get a TIE Fighter.
SPUY767 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:34 PM   #408
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020
 
Amazing Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
But it's not their job. They forgot what their actual job was long ago.
True. And while they think is their job, let's keep them busy!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul80 View Post
It's a business. They want to make money, and given the popularity of iOS devices, I understand what they are trying to do.
Consider also that these are rumors.
So you'll also tell me that it's also a business to sell a 12 oz. bottle of drinking water for $10 in a disaster zone?

It could be a business, but it doesn't mean it's right or legal.
__________________
17" MacBook Pro (2007) iPad Air WiFi+Cell 128 GB iPhone 5s 64 GB T-Mobile AppleTV 2
Follow @AmazingIceman for useful tech info and more (mention MacRumors).
Amazing Iceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:00 AM   #409
touchtone561
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
It's just data

I think some of us have lost track of the fundamentals.

You bought data.

You're using the data legally.

You're not hacking the network with the device.
You should be able to use the data that you purchased-
and if you use more data you get charged. You shouldn't be charged for how you use the Bytes if it be tethering, FaceTime, Netflix, or Facebook.

They're trying to brainwash you to think that the data you purchased isn't yours and it you should be charged for the services you use as well, this is been a scheme in play for the last 5 to 10 years. Seek Net neutrality.
touchtone561 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:28 PM   #410
moonman239
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Question: Can this change legally affect those of us who signed their contracts before AT&T even thought of doing this, that is if they did think of doing this?
__________________
The funny thing about this signature is that by the time you get to the end of it, you will have spent between five and ten seconds doing so.
moonman239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:35 AM   #411
unplugme71
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe98 View Post
Why should we have to add a second data plan for Apps? If we already have a data plan and are happy to use it's allocated data, charing anything more is too much.

So you are going to pay 1$ for Emails,
2$ for Safari,
5$ for iCloud music,
7$ for FaceTime....


That's your idea of an intelligent system?

----------



Private company using public spectrum? You forget if all the carriers do this crap there is no elsewhere to go since all the spectrum has been allotted to these thieves. It's not like new networks can just pop up, they would have to bid for the spectrum and get all sorts of licensing for the towers.

Now it's pretty simple, if "private" companies want to be allowed to play with public licenses, they have to cater to what the public wants. Government does have a role to play here.

----------



So let's play this game. Let us imagine Apple says, f it, we add in all features. Now the carriers say F Apple, no more iphones on our networks. Now what?

----------



The point is there should be no fee.
Yet people pay for text messaging.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:30 PM   #412
CedricEarl
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
WTF else is there to pay for? I pay for tethering and all that jazz and the crap still doesn't work. So TF am I supposed to do?
CedricEarl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:00 PM   #413
Kariya
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspalton View Post
That's odd...
Perhaps reset your network settings.
Kariya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:09 PM   #414
moonman239
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I spoke with a nice CS rep who appears to be unaware of any plans to charge for FaceTime calls.

Now, allow me to repost my unanswered question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
Question: Can this change legally affect those of us who signed their contracts before AT&T even thought of doing this, that is if they did think of doing this?
__________________
The funny thing about this signature is that by the time you get to the end of it, you will have spent between five and ten seconds doing so.
moonman239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:07 AM   #415
toadc69
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: S. Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind865 View Post
If you are experiencing those types of issues I think I would go back to the Verizon store or call support and have your settings looked at, because that certainly is not typical.
I'm no "AT&T lover"by any means, in fact I was laid off from them in 2004. But at least when I had technical issues w/ iPhones in the past, they were able to connect me with a knowledgeable representative via their iPhone tech support line.

Not the same with Verizon, they dont know a whole lot about what is a new product for them - nor encourage their employees to obtain the Apple phone.

And I don't think my settings need to be "looked at". I've been jailbreaking these little buggers since iOS 1.1 days and I'm fairly proficient with those settings by now.

AT&T has a far superior data network for wireless in the U.S.
At least California, NYC, Miami, Detroit, Chicago.
toadc69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:25 AM   #416
toadc69
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: S. Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
But it's not their job. They forgot what their actual job was long ago.
The FCC, if they were not so politicized as to be fairly worthless, should step in and lay down some regulation here. The rest of the world is passing us by when it comes to this industry. for example, the lack of unlimited data plans for our mobile devices crushes adoption of 4G LTE whatever you want to call it.

this is all in the name of protecting legacy business models in the U.S. market for these below average carriers ie; Verizon AT&T
toadc69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:49 AM   #417
Prmise
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
There are plenty that run over WiFi. Just go to a site like AppShopper and search for video conferencing. You could do the same at the iTunes App Store, but the search function isn't as good.

Longtime third-party service fring has featured cellular 3G video chat for a while. Also available are Tango and Skype. There are probably others, but those are the biggest third-party services that run over 3G.

There are many more video conference services that run over WiFi. Video conferencing services have been around since front-facing cameras have showed up on smartphones. I guess that would be summer 2010 on the iPhone 4.

So yeah, there have been video conferencing apps available on the iPhone for a couple of years.
Which video conferencing apps are you using? I tried skype but the quality is worst so I need another option...

thanks!
Prmise is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: FaceTime calls all FaceTime ID's iOS 7 Komrad808 iOS 7 5 Sep 19, 2013 10:01 PM
Verizon Won't Restrict Facetime Over 3G/4G Frasern1 iPhone 0 Sep 12, 2012 11:04 PM
Rumor: AT&T may charge for FaceTime. moonman239 iOS 6 1 Jul 20, 2012 07:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC