Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I am sick and tired of the trolls on these forums filling up the first page of a thread. It is not funny, it is not smart and it IS trolling.

Can bans be handed out, as is getting beyond the joke now?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am sick and tired of the trolls on these forums filling up the first page of a thread. It is not funny, it is not smart and it IS trolling.

Click the report post icon
report.gif
to report a post you think violates Forum Rules. The mods can't do anything about it if they don't know about it.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Add in the 'Steve wouldn't have allowed this" ones as well. It's getting old now and really isn't funny anymore.

Oh and the constant references to 'thermonuclear' on every Android related discussion.

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012

Really? Something annoys you so you want it banned? Do you care that others may find it funny? If you don't like the content, either don't read it, or add the user to your "blocked" list. Do not push your beliefs on everyone else.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'd rather when an update gets released and the download doesn't work, all the comments about that get removed when the download is working again. Why have 2 pages of "download not working" that are no longer relevant.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Really? Something annoys you so you want it banned? Do you care that others may find it funny? If you don't like the content, either don't read it, or add the user to your "blocked" list. Do not push your beliefs on everyone else.

Your yogurt calculates eighteen forensic deities with pointillism.

Did you read that just now? I'm gonna go ahead and assume you did even though it was completely ridiculous, nonsensical, and off-topic. But you probably read it because, well, there it is.

Not reading some of the "funny" posts that appear on countless threads is not really an option if I'm, you know, reading through a thread. Blocking users for a single post is certainly an option but not one that I could personally justify (YMMV).

So long as it doesn't violate the 'Instantly Bannable Offenses' section of the forum rules, I agree with you that members shouldn't be banned for trying to be "funny" or witty, within reason, but I also agree with Risco that some of these recurring posts have become quite annoying.

If it's the same person peddling the same tired joke and it's been reported enough times, a ban could be in order. But that's not for us "laypeople" to decide and, in my opinion, not for anyone to publicly request.

As GGJstudios suggested, report the post if you think it violates a forum rule. If you don't report it, don't expect it to magically disappear.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

Did you read that just now? I'm gonna go ahead and assume you did even though it was completely ridiculous, nonsensical, and off-topic. But you probably read it because, well, there it is.

Not reading some of the "funny" posts that appear on countless threads is not really an option if I'm, you know, reading through a thread. Blocking users for a single post is certainly an option but not one that I could personally justify (YMMV).

So long as it doesn't violate the 'Instantly Bannable Offenses' section of the forum rules, I agree with you that members shouldn't be banned for trying to be "funny" or witty, within reason, but I also agree with Risco that some of these recurring posts have become quite annoying.

If it's the same person peddling the same tired joke and it's been reported enough times, a ban could be in order. But that's not for us "laypeople" to decide and, in my opinion, not for anyone to publicly request.

As GGJstudios suggested, report the post if you think it violates a forum rule. If you don't report it, don't expect it to magically disappear.

I understand I can report, but the amount of posts of this type is on the increase. I think making it warrant a ban of say 24 hours for first offence and increased if repeated etc would send out the message that it is no longer funny.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I understand I can report, but the amount of posts of this type is on the increase. I think making it warrant a ban of say 24 hours for first offence and increased if repeated etc would send out the message that it is no longer funny.
That assumes that everyone in the forum shares your view that such comments aren't funny. To some, they are. Moderator action is not required for posts that don't violate forum rules, but may not appeal to all forum members.
False! It's seventeen, not eighteen! :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As a moderator we deal with a number of off topic posts, we typically hand out reminders for first offenses. Giving an individual a time out for such a minor problem is in my opinion rather heavy handed.

We consider these posts minor, in contrast where a member trolls, insults, or calls another name to be a major offense.

As others stated, if you see a post that you feel is against the rules, then please report it. We typically see the Snappier comment in waves, right around the time apple releases new builds to their operating system (both OSX and iOS). The occurrences tend to die down pretty quickly, nonetheless if you see such a post please report it and the moderation staff will deal with the post according to our guidelines.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I think the Safari seems snappier posts seem rather infrequent, especially when compared to some other common phrases currently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.