Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I have good options for both..What's preferable? They both seem to get the same on the compatibility charts. Thanks

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I have.....

a HP mini 110, mostly for the ocasional Windows-no-so-critical use and for portability in rare cases...With the base 1 GB RAM, the Mini struggles with Windows 7 Ultimate, so for a Hackintosh, would be wise to upgrade the RAM, if that is possible. But no so sure if that is worth it:(

:):apple:

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2012
I have good options for both..What's preferable? They both seem to get the same on the compatibility charts. Thanks

Best option: real Mac :)

Smartassed comment to you maybe, but really. Save yourself the money in the long run. Why not a Mac Mini? They also run Windows.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Best option: real Mac :)

Smartassed comment to you maybe, but really. Save yourself the money in the long run. Why not a Mac Mini? They also run Windows.

HP Mini is a laptop (netbook to be specific)... that said, OP have you considered an older Macbook or even a G4 PowerBook? Hackintoshes are loads of troubles and, IMHO, not worth your trouble as a regularly used machine. As a project it'd be fine, though... Again, my opinion.

How about something like this? (And I've seen far cheaper on eBay...)

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2012
My mistake js81 - I just assumed by the name of the HP Mini, it'd be a small form-factor desktop computer :p

In that case, I would honestly recommend looking in Apples store under the refurbished section. Great systems, thoroughly checked over and delivered in like-new condition with some decent deals if you're budget conscious. That way you also have some form of warranty as well.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Go for the Samsung. The Intel GMA 3150 in the HP does not work with OS X correctly. It is available as an option on the Samsung, so make sure you get the Intel GMA 950. Having said that, the 950 (and the 3150) is a VERY bad graphics chip, I mean REALLY bad.

Also the Intel Atom CPU may give you problem with anything newer than Snow Leopard. The 1 GB RAM is way too little as well.

I'd say, go for something with at least an i3. Also something with at least 2 GB RAM, if not more. Intel HD 3000 and Intel HD 4000 work with OS X.

AnonMac50

crashwins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I guess I should have prefaced that I've Hackintoshed before -- the HP Mini, actually. It was a pretty capable little machine and the only issue I had with it was the sleep mode. The only reason I sold it was bc I couldn't rationalize the $400 I spent on it. Now, these are just $100 so it's a whole different decision (same with the Samsung Go).

I just want a lightweight Mac-capable machine for road-warrior stuff. The Air is overpriced IMO and I don't need a Macbook..Sure, I could grab a used Intel MB for like $400, but that's a bit risky..

So, all in all, a $100 for a Hackintosh seems like a no-brainer to me. Will it run like a MBP? Of course not - I know that, but for word processing, surfing, and some basic OSX programs I think it would be fine..

My thinking suggests the Samsung Go would be better..Battery life is stronger and it just looks better, but that may be vanity :) Thanks for the responses!

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
So, all in all, a $100 for a Hackintosh seems like a no-brainer to me.

For $100, I agree. Just get it setup and make a disk image; that way if things go sideways, you can simply restore it with said image. Have fun!

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I guess I should have prefaced that I've Hackintoshed before -- the HP Mini, actually. It was a pretty capable little machine and the only issue I had with it was the sleep mode. The only reason I sold it was bc I couldn't rationalize the $400 I spent on it. Now, these are just $100 so it's a whole different decision (same with the Samsung Go).

I just want a lightweight Mac-capable machine for road-warrior stuff. The Air is overpriced IMO and I don't need a Macbook..Sure, I could grab a used Intel MB for like $400, but that's a bit risky..

So, all in all, a $100 for a Hackintosh seems like a no-brainer to me. Will it run like a MBP? Of course not - I know that, but for word processing, surfing, and some basic OSX programs I think it would be fine..

My thinking suggests the Samsung Go would be better..Battery life is stronger and it just looks better, but that may be vanity :) Thanks for the responses!

I think the Samsung may be a better choice now. Just beware of which GPU you get. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.