Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:17 AM   #1
mgpg89
macrumors 6502a

YouTube is extremely laggy in Safari (not in Firefox)

I love Safari (so don't tell me to switch to Firefox) but YouTube has been super laggy lately.
Choppy playback, slow buffering, unresponsive website overall. But in Firefox, it works just fine.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Cheers
mgpg89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpg89 View Post
I love Safari (so don't tell me to switch to Firefox) but YouTube has been super laggy lately.
Choppy playback, slow buffering, unresponsive website overall. But in Firefox, it works just fine.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Cheers
Try disabling all add-ons or plug ins you have in Safari and see what happens. Also, try resetting it to its factory settings as well.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:17 AM   #3
mcard
macrumors newbie

I've been experiencing the same thing. I complete reset Safari and nothing has changed. I still unresponsive play/pause button. Videos don't start playing for a while, and then when they do, they're extremely intermittent.
mcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:29 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

Do you all have the latest release version of Flash installed?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
mgpg89
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcard View Post
I've been experiencing the same thing. I complete reset Safari and nothing has changed. I still unresponsive play/pause button. Videos don't start playing for a while, and then when they do, they're extremely intermittent.
Pretty much the same issues I'm having. Video/audio also aren't in sync anymore (the further on in the video, the more they drift apart).

Do you have any extensions installed?

I tried disabling my plug-ins/extensions/add-ons, but that didn't solve anything.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:49 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
mgpg89
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.
Thanks, updating Flash solved the issues I was having. Can't believe Flash doesn't auto-update though! (or at least notify you when there's an update available)
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:36 AM   #8
N0k14 D14B10
macrumors newbie

Yhea on my desktop youtube doesn't Even play, but my fav browser is GC by far
N0k14 D14B10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpg89 View Post
Thanks, updating Flash solved the issues I was having. Can't believe Flash doesn't auto-update though! (or at least notify you when there's an update available)
It does on my Macs though, but since the Flashback trojan I get my updates directly from Adobe.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I might have to switch off of Click to Flash. Lately the QTKitServer is just eating all the CPU power on my Core 2 Duo.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:25 PM   #11
RogerThatRocks
macrumors newbie

I have same issue in Safari. You Tube suggests resetting your cache and cookies in your browser or wait for the entire video to buffer. I find it funny that the advertisements play perfectly as soon as you click on the video, but the video lags. I've updated my Flash but it didn't resolve anything.
RogerThatRocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help