Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:17 AM   #1
mgpg89
macrumors 6502a
 
mgpg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
YouTube is extremely laggy in Safari (not in Firefox)

I love Safari (so don't tell me to switch to Firefox) but YouTube has been super laggy lately.
Choppy playback, slow buffering, unresponsive website overall. But in Firefox, it works just fine.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Cheers
mgpg89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rigel IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpg89 View Post
I love Safari (so don't tell me to switch to Firefox) but YouTube has been super laggy lately.
Choppy playback, slow buffering, unresponsive website overall. But in Firefox, it works just fine.

Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Cheers
Try disabling all add-ons or plug ins you have in Safari and see what happens. Also, try resetting it to its factory settings as well.
__________________
It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system. You have to vote for one of us.
••• SandboxGeneral.com •••
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:17 AM   #3
mcard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I've been experiencing the same thing. I complete reset Safari and nothing has changed. I still unresponsive play/pause button. Videos don't start playing for a while, and then when they do, they're extremely intermittent.
mcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:29 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rigel IV
Do you all have the latest release version of Flash installed?
__________________
It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system. You have to vote for one of us.
••• SandboxGeneral.com •••
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
mgpg89
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
mgpg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcard View Post
I've been experiencing the same thing. I complete reset Safari and nothing has changed. I still unresponsive play/pause button. Videos don't start playing for a while, and then when they do, they're extremely intermittent.
Pretty much the same issues I'm having. Video/audio also aren't in sync anymore (the further on in the video, the more they drift apart).

Do you have any extensions installed?

I tried disabling my plug-ins/extensions/add-ons, but that didn't solve anything.
mgpg89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:49 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
mgpg89
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
mgpg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.
Thanks, updating Flash solved the issues I was having. Can't believe Flash doesn't auto-update though! (or at least notify you when there's an update available)
mgpg89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:36 AM   #8
N0k14 D14B10
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Yhea on my desktop youtube doesn't Even play, but my fav browser is GC by far
N0k14 D14B10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:03 AM   #9
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpg89 View Post
Thanks, updating Flash solved the issues I was having. Can't believe Flash doesn't auto-update though! (or at least notify you when there's an update available)
It does on my Macs though, but since the Flashback trojan I get my updates directly from Adobe.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn
 
Eidorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cuidad de Mιxico
Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
I might have to switch off of Click to Flash. Lately the QTKitServer is just eating all the CPU power on my Core 2 Duo.
__________________
Core i5 750 / 16 GB RAM / 500 GB SSD / GTX 970 / Windows 8.1
13" Retina MacBook Pro
Eidorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:25 PM   #11
RogerThatRocks
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I have same issue in Safari. You Tube suggests resetting your cache and cookies in your browser or wait for the entire video to buffer. I find it funny that the advertisements play perfectly as soon as you click on the video, but the video lags. I've updated my Flash but it didn't resolve anything.
RogerThatRocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Late 2013 rMBP - Youtube laggy on Bootcamp SCOLANATOR MacBook Pro 6 Dec 28, 2013 12:42 AM
iPhone: Anyone find the 5S and iOS7 extremely Laggy? The Highlander Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Nov 26, 2013 09:13 PM
laggy Youtube fullscreen iMcLovin iMac 2 Mar 29, 2013 04:17 PM
Is YouTube laggy for you? minisuds7 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 4 Nov 28, 2012 01:13 AM
Youtube & yahoo won't open in Safari or firefox Ram Raider Mac Basics and Help 2 Sep 16, 2012 05:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC