Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]

If you wish to discuss the inequity of wealth vs. world hunger or other political issues, please head over to the PRSI sub forum. This thread is not the place to discuss such topics and any PRSI type posts will get removed.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to establish the cost of building the yacht. I know if I were in charge of building the boat, I would have an invoice for every penny spent.

Plus, why would you base your payment agreement on the final cost of the yacht? Doesn't that incentivize the designer to make it as expensive as he can? Perhaps that is why the yacht turned out looking like a floating concrete hut from the 70's... :D

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
Judging from the final cost I'd say Samsung supplied the washing machines, ovens and refrigerators.

That's the stuff Samsung makes, right?

I'm really not a grammer nazi, but your second sentance would make more sense if you took out the comma and the question mark...

"That's the stuff Samsung makes right." ;) :D

---

Because Somebody Asked:
What's a grammer again?

Grammer: A southern American unit of mass.

e.g. Hey, could yall hand me a grammer that there magnesium sulfate heptahydrate?

Last edited:

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
Let it be will ya, why charge millions only because you are dealing with the rich in the first place.
Have some self-respect, charge what you need to get by (plus some). Don't charge what you can grab given your client.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The design inspiration is Bauhaus and International Style architecture, a pretty unusual approach for a boat. So no matter how you feel about the results, that is clearly what they were trying to do with the design of the yacht. The question I have is whether Laurene still wants the thing, as it was Steve's indulgence. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up for sale soon.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Typical frenchie. Whinging because he's only getting paid €6,300,000 instead of €9,000,000. Aww, diddums..

How is he going to feed his family now? ;)

I'm sure you'd be saying the same thing if you were the one who got shorted by $3.6 million.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
The Jobs family must be thrilled with the ownership of this yacht. It looks bizarre and I can't really imagine the family using it very often.

Reminds me of the saying, "The best day in a Man's life is the day he gets a boat. The second best day in his life is the day he sells his boat."

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
The yacht is an extravagant vision of a man now dead. The designer should be happy with what he has already been paid rather than trying to hustle the inheritors of such an unsightly monstrosity.

The only useful purpose it could serve is to convert it into a floating Apple retail store.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The yacht is an extravagant vision of a man now dead. The designer should be happy with what he has already been paid rather than trying to hustle the inheritors of such an unsightly monstrosity.

The only useful purpose it could serve is to convert it into a floating Apple retail store.

Would you be satisfied for doing a job and getting 2/3 of what you were supposed to be paid instead of the full amount? And especially if the amount was over $3 million?

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
I'm really not a grammer nazi, but your second sentance would make more sense if you took out the comma and the question mark...

"That's the stuff Samsung makes right." ;) :D

I agree! Some of Samsung's home appliances are good for the money.

What's a grammer again?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I wouldn't want to be ripped off to the sum of a few million dollars, but in the end it's a yacht that a multi-billion dollar family is still having built. Pay the guy and move on. The family does have the money and will still be paid and ensured jobs for the rest of Apple Inc.'s life.

And as others have asked, why was there no written agreement for this boat when the costs are well past the $100,000,000 mark?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The dispute seems to be related specifically to the cost of building the boat, with Starck claiming that the yacht was slated to cost EUR150 million while the Jobs family says that it only cost EUR105 million.

So Mr Starck believes he should be paid according to an estimate not the actual costs. That makes him look like the jerk in this case.

----------

Steve Jobs screwed people in life... and now in death too.

Yeah, how dare he have a yacht built that didn't cost as much as he guessed it would when he hired the designer. What an *****

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Very nice design, with Frank Lloyd Wright sensibilities..

Yes its amazing what they can do with concrete nowadays!....This boat is in Amsterdam?...I think whoever designed it must have been on the wacky backy!....look at that front end! its like a barn door!...how embarrassing.....Wait until next year to pay Starck when France introduces the 75% top tax rate (yes Harry Reid a top rate of 75% for those tax payers!)

SlugBlanket

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Let it be will ya, why charge millions only because you are dealing with the rich in the first place.
Have some self-respect, charge what you need to get by (plus some). Don't charge what you can grab given your client.

Would be nice if Apple would apply your logic with respect to it's own customers don't you think ? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.