Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
bobright
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Mkv to Mpg converter?

I am coming over from Windows having used mkv2vob, is there any similar free alternatives for OSX?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2
alrut235
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Handbrake can convert Mkv files to MP4.
alrut235 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:53 PM   #3
rezwits
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Send a message via ICQ to rezwits Send a message via AIM to rezwits Send a message via MSN to rezwits Send a message via Yahoo to rezwits Send a message via Skype™ to rezwits
Hmm

MacX Video Converter Pro 3.5.0

It may seem like a quick video compressor fake, but I tried to find a VOB MPG compressor to make videos work to my Directv, and this little sucker, pulled it off with in-sync audio.

Not mention other tabs for other video projects I tried in the past...
rezwits is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Vanstra
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Use this one.
Fast, easy and free.

http://code.google.com/p/subler/
Vanstra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:25 PM   #5
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrut235 View Post
Handbrake can convert Mkv files to MP4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezwits View Post
MacX Video Converter Pro 3.5.0

It may seem like a quick video compressor fake, but I tried to find a VOB MPG compressor to make videos work to my Directv, and this little sucker, pulled it off with in-sync audio.

Not mention other tabs for other video projects I tried in the past...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanstra View Post
Use this one.
Fast, easy and free.

http://code.google.com/p/subler/
Hmm weird I tried all these and all when converted played back choppy with clicking sound/blocky video playback. I even tried opening them with VLC. Is it just that the Mac is not capable of playing it back? Perhaps on a PS3 they'll play correctly? This a 720p HD file I'm trying to convert. I may be doing something wrong. I seriously wish mkv2vob worked for Mac it's very frustrating not being able to convert this file.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:29 PM   #6
AFPoster
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
When you use Handbrake make sure you check the box for "Large File Size" it will fix the choppy play.
__________________
2012 15" MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7
iPad 2 32gb (white)
iPhone 5s 16gb x2
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:33 PM   #7
halledise
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
Hmm weird I tried all these and all when converted played back choppy with clicking sound/blocky video playback. I even tried opening them with VLC. Is it just that the Mac is not capable of playing it back? Perhaps on a PS3 they'll play correctly? This a 720p HD file I'm trying to convert. I may be doing something wrong. I seriously wish mkv2vob worked for Mac it's very frustrating not being able to convert this file.
Handbrake is indeed the one to use but try playback in MPlayerX instead of VLC.
it plays all my 720p and 1080p flicks just fine

http://mplayerx.org

if that still don't do it for you, then perhaps your Mac is underpowered for the task?
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:20 PM   #8
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
When you use Handbrake make sure you check the box for "Large File Size" it will fix the choppy play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halledise View Post
Handbrake is indeed the one to use but try playback in MPlayerX instead of VLC.
it plays all my 720p and 1080p flicks just fine

http://mplayerx.org

if that still don't do it for you, then perhaps your Mac is underpowered for the task?
I appreciate the assistance guys but you know what? I found an alternative while searching and searching before I saw this thread its a port of Mkv2vob for OSX. It really is great software it worked flawlessly. No choppy playback and it just changed the container to mpg also still has DTS audio.

Edit: here is the link of anybody comes across this thread and needs it http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkv2vobmac/files/
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:39 AM   #9
halledise
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobright View Post
I appreciate the assistance guys but you know what? I found an alternative while searching and searching before I saw this thread its a port of Mkv2vob for OSX. It really is great software it worked flawlessly. No choppy playback and it just changed the container to mpg also still has DTS audio.

Edit: here is the link of anybody comes across this thread and needs it http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkv2vobmac/files/
cheers big ears

eeeew - it's horrible - it's like, so PeeCee back slash (\) - Windoze

Last edited by halledise; Dec 29, 2012 at 02:44 AM.
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:44 AM   #10
bobright
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by halledise View Post
cheers big ears
Nice, glad it helped somebody converted perfectly right?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:51 AM   #11
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Adapter is the best IMO

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33916/adapter
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC