Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Project538
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Project538
5th Gen iPod touch - Headphone Jack Issue?

Hello, everyone!

So, recently the headphone jack on my 5th gen touch has been acting up. When I plug in my earbuds, the inline remote doesn't work. I have to twist the plug around a bit, and even then it sometimes doesn't work. At first I figured that the earbuds were to blame, but I tested them on another iPod and the remote worked just fine the first time I plugged it in, no fiddling required. I also checked the iPod touch's jack to make sure it was free of debris (as I have had pocket lint mess things up in iPods before). So, if the issue is with the iPod, is there something I can do to fix it myself or does this warrant a trip to the Genius Bar?

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Project538
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project538 View Post
Hello, everyone!

So, recently the headphone jack on my 5th gen touch has been acting up. When I plug in my earbuds, the inline remote doesn't work. I have to twist the plug around a bit, and even then it sometimes doesn't work. At first I figured that the earbuds were to blame, but I tested them on another iPod and the remote worked just fine the first time I plugged it in, no fiddling required. I also checked the iPod touch's jack to make sure it was free of debris (as I have had pocket lint mess things up in iPods before). So, if the issue is with the iPod, is there something I can do to fix it myself or does this warrant a trip to the Genius Bar?

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Project538
Yeah, take it into the Genius Bar. I had this happen to my iPhone 4. They'll replace it with no problem.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Project538
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Project538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yeah, take it into the Genius Bar. I had this happen to my iPhone 4. They'll replace it with no problem.
Thanks, good to know. I was hoping I wouldn't have to, since this close to Christmas is probably one of the worst times of the year to go to the Apple Store (and we got an awful snowstorm a couple days ago so the driving conditions are crap). Still, I need that remote to work so I'll make the trek over there (first world problems!).
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project538 View Post
Thanks, good to know. I was hoping I wouldn't have to, since this close to Christmas is probably one of the worst times of the year to go to the Apple Store (and we got an awful snowstorm a couple days ago so the driving conditions are crap). Still, I need that remote to work so I'll make the trek over there (first world problems!).
Last year they had an express line. Probably the best time to go actually because you deal with less people standing around. Just make the appointment before going in and you should be in and out.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch