Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Project538
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Iowa, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to Project538
5th Gen iPod touch - Headphone Jack Issue?

Hello, everyone!

So, recently the headphone jack on my 5th gen touch has been acting up. When I plug in my earbuds, the inline remote doesn't work. I have to twist the plug around a bit, and even then it sometimes doesn't work. At first I figured that the earbuds were to blame, but I tested them on another iPod and the remote worked just fine the first time I plugged it in, no fiddling required. I also checked the iPod touch's jack to make sure it was free of debris (as I have had pocket lint mess things up in iPods before). So, if the issue is with the iPod, is there something I can do to fix it myself or does this warrant a trip to the Genius Bar?

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Project538
__________________
Twitter: @Project538
 13" MacBook Air (Mid 2012), iPad 2 (16GB Wi-Fi), 6th generation iPod nano (8GB), 5th generation iPod touch (32GB)
Project538 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project538 View Post
Hello, everyone!

So, recently the headphone jack on my 5th gen touch has been acting up. When I plug in my earbuds, the inline remote doesn't work. I have to twist the plug around a bit, and even then it sometimes doesn't work. At first I figured that the earbuds were to blame, but I tested them on another iPod and the remote worked just fine the first time I plugged it in, no fiddling required. I also checked the iPod touch's jack to make sure it was free of debris (as I have had pocket lint mess things up in iPods before). So, if the issue is with the iPod, is there something I can do to fix it myself or does this warrant a trip to the Genius Bar?

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Project538
Yeah, take it into the Genius Bar. I had this happen to my iPhone 4. They'll replace it with no problem.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Project538
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Iowa, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to Project538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yeah, take it into the Genius Bar. I had this happen to my iPhone 4. They'll replace it with no problem.
Thanks, good to know. I was hoping I wouldn't have to, since this close to Christmas is probably one of the worst times of the year to go to the Apple Store (and we got an awful snowstorm a couple days ago so the driving conditions are crap). Still, I need that remote to work so I'll make the trek over there (first world problems!).
__________________
Twitter: @Project538
 13" MacBook Air (Mid 2012), iPad 2 (16GB Wi-Fi), 6th generation iPod nano (8GB), 5th generation iPod touch (32GB)
Project538 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project538 View Post
Thanks, good to know. I was hoping I wouldn't have to, since this close to Christmas is probably one of the worst times of the year to go to the Apple Store (and we got an awful snowstorm a couple days ago so the driving conditions are crap). Still, I need that remote to work so I'll make the trek over there (first world problems!).
Last year they had an express line. Probably the best time to go actually because you deal with less people standing around. Just make the appointment before going in and you should be in and out.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General: iPod touch 5th gen jb, iPod disabled connect to iTunes issue... Truefan31 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 6 May 26, 2014 05:39 PM
5th Gen iPod battery issue ddublu iPod touch 1 Feb 17, 2014 11:51 AM
ipod touch 5th gen, ios7, charging issue evildead1971 iPod touch 1 Sep 22, 2013 03:29 PM
iPod Touch 4th gen vs 5th gen? jread iPod touch 18 Jul 15, 2013 02:35 AM
iPod Touch 4th Gen Or 5th Gen? Goftrey iPod touch 8 Sep 22, 2012 09:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC