Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:11 PM   #151
louis.b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakapo View Post
I know most of you don't like the idea, but the iphone would have even more market share in the usa if they offered a 5" or bigger phone along with the existing 4" phone. I'd get one.
Yep you'd get one, and that 20% would NOT. Face it, not everyone who has a life wants a 5 inch phone which they cannot put in their pockets.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Overall U.S. smartphone market for 2012...

Android - 52%
iOS in second - 35%
Blackberry OS - 7%
Other - 5%
Windows Phone - 2%

Source: Nielsen
Android = a gazillion of manufacturers.
iOS and Blackberry = 1 manufacturer each.

SO when it comes to OS market share I've always found it hilarious to see Android fan boys tout market share. It's good their sub $100 phones are contributing to the good cause against evil Apple.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:13 PM   #152
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.b View Post

SO when it comes to OS market share I've always found it hilarious to see Android fan boys tout market share. It's good their sub $100 phones are contributing to the good cause against evil Apple.
You can get an iPhone easily for under $100. Why contribute that solely to Android's success, and not Apple's as well?
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:33 PM   #153
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I'm not emotionally involved in the Android vs iOS argument. What I do care about is what works for me. I've been using iPhones. They interface with my MBP & iPad just fine. Some say they're getting boring, but I don't find that to be the case. I'm not an impulse buyer, nor do I need a phone that changes significantly year to year. It does what I want & that's all I need. By not having to spend time buying, setting up, and all that one does each time they buy a new device, I've saved not only time but money. Time that I can put to good use doing fun things.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:18 PM   #154
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
And in other news, Windows holds the lead over the Mac.

Stories like this are so pathetic.
Android was ahead in the US earlier.
Morshu9001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:52 PM   #155
patentlawyer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
I believe they are putting things in perspective regarding that small and insignificant area that isn't the US. You know... the rest of the world? [COLOR="#808080"].
True. So again..what does that have to do with this story? It's specifically about the US.
patentlawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:01 AM   #156
Vegastouch
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yep you'd get one, and that 20% would NOT. Face it, not everyone who has a life wants a 5 inch phone which they cannot put in their pockets.

----------

While this has no fanboy intentions at all huh? Funny.
Around the world Android has like 70-80% marketshare. Not that it matters. Apple is a USA company and they should do their best business here in the USA. They probably would do better if their prices werent so high but it is what it is and the marketshare will go back and forth probably going Androids way when the GS4 comes out.
Google is a USA company too but all they do is the Android OS and both companies are doing well so dont know why anybody bags on Android. Who cares which one you use as long as it fits what you want?

Last edited by Vegastouch; Dec 22, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Vegastouch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:40 AM   #157
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
SO when it comes to OS market share I've always found it hilarious to see Android fan boys tout market share.
I know, it cracks me up every time right? To think that one single Android phone could ever outsell the iPhone is preposterous...

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone for first time
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...time-50009715/

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone 4S to become world’s leading smartphone
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/s...ing-smartphone

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone 5 in UK, say new figures
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...ures-50009353/

Those stupid fandroids!!!
SlCKB0Y is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:30 AM   #158
louis.b
Banned

Quote:
I know, it cracks me up every time right? To think that one single Android phone could ever outsell the iPhone is preposterous...

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone for first time
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...time-50009715/

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone 4S to become world’s leading smartphone
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/s...ing-smartphone

Samsung Galaxy S3 outsells iPhone 5 in UK, say new figures
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sams...ures-50009353/

Those stupid fandroids!!!
Yep S3 outsold iphone4s, a phone that's released more than half a year before, by spending billions of advertising to make fun of Apple and by paying carriers other billions to push the S3. WOWOWOW that's awesome!!!!

WOW the UK's market share is so big now.

In the meantime all the money in the smartphone market goes to Apple.

in your face.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:56 AM   #159
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yep S3 outsold iphone4s, a phone that's released more than half a year before
Yea ... no one saw that excuse coming
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:52 AM   #160
swagi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
no apps
crappy notifications
stupid interface

take your pick
no apps -> which apps do you miss? There are several pretty good options for nearly every use case. Just do some research.

crappy notifications -> Huh? The notification drawer works exactly the same like on Android or iOS. And actually some information is easier at hand with Live Tiles. Could it be that you either didn't use a Win Phone for a longer period of time or didn't grasp the concept?

stupid interface -> YMMV but actually I like the tiles. Nevertheless Android is my current choice, as widgets rule!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:23 AM   #161
sk1wbw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
Android was ahead in the US earlier.
So what. It's free. You can slap any version of Android on any piece of **** hardware out there. The main thing is how often your handset gets an update. iPhone users don't get updates from the cell carrier, which is one of the reasons I like the iPhone.

And you missed my point. In the Windows vs Mac days, people were making a big deal out of an OS (Windows) market share versus that of the Mac (computer) market share. You can slap Windows on any piece of **** hardware out there, just like Android can be. Which is why I say Android is the new Windows.
sk1wbw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:59 AM   #162
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So what. It's free. You can slap any version of Android on any piece of **** hardware out there.
Not if you want it to have Google Maps, Play Store, GMail, YouTube and all the other Gapps...you know, the entire Android ecosystem. If you want this stuff the hardware needs to go through a verification process.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:22 AM   #163
louis.b
Banned

Quote:
Not if you want it to have Google Maps, Play Store, GMail, YouTube and all the other Gapps...you know, the entire Android ecosystem. If you want this stuff the hardware needs to go through a verification process.
Apparently the verification process is not that great.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:23 AM   #164
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermat-au View Post
Very true. In a true free market Android/iOS market share would be very different. See Benedict Evans' iPhone pricing and US market share.

I'm in Australia. I just looked at the Vodafone site.
iPhone 5 - $66/m
S III - $50/m

$16 times 24 months = $384.
The higher cost of the iPhone is being passed on to the consumer.
Excellent article.
TC03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:27 AM   #165
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
You can get an iPhone easily for under $100. Why contribute that solely to Android's success, and not Apple's as well?
You can get a year or two old iPhone for under $100.

You can get a newly released android phone with food stamps and pocket lint.

Hell, President Barry gives them away. I'm sure if he gave iPhones away that would help with market share a few percentage points.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."

Last edited by Technarchy; Dec 22, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:40 AM   #166
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Apparently the verification process is not that great.
Don't like the hardware? Don't buy it! It's not brain surgery.

If you can't understand the distinction i'd stay away making purchases. "Why doesn't this Toyota perform as well as a Ferrari?!".

I realise that now everyone might be incapable of making informed purchasing decisions given that buying iPhones only involves "Do I want the black one or the white one" but this is getting ridiculous.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:57 AM   #167
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
You can get a year or two old iPhone for under $100.

You can get a newly released android phone with food stamps and pocket lint.

Hell, President Barry gives them away. I'm sure if he gave iPhones away that would help with market share a few percentage points.
When you speak in hyperbole it weakens your case.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:13 AM   #168
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermat-au View Post
I just made a post making the exact some points

Has anyone made 2 or 3 year graphs?

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/dwl....ownloads&id=98

iOS passed Android last year for a few months and almost got to 50%.
That was a massive improvement over the previous peak which was 30% (about half of Android).
unlinked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:21 AM   #169
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
So what. It's free. You can slap any version of Android on any piece of **** hardware out there. The main thing is how often your handset gets an update. iPhone users don't get updates from the cell carrier, which is one of the reasons I like the iPhone.

And you missed my point. In the Windows vs Mac days, people were making a big deal out of an OS (Windows) market share versus that of the Mac (computer) market share. You can slap Windows on any piece of **** hardware out there, just like Android can be. Which is why I say Android is the new Windows.
Oh, I thought you were saying that this was a lame, predictable story. My mistake. Yes, Android is the Windows of mobile devices (besides the actual mobile Windows). Even more than a PC, I think it's important for a smartphone's software and hardware to both be made by the same company. Maybe Google's new phone will be good.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:28 AM   #170
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
The difference between US and Europe can be addressed to subsidizing, I think in Europe the price difference between iPhone and high-end devices from competitors is >€200,- while in the US it's no more than $100 (€80). Give or take.

For Apple's sake, I hope this subsidizing will continue forever, because this model is the main reason iPhone devices are more popular than Android devices.

Nevertheless, extremely impressive results, because the previous year was the first Android devices really caught up with the iPhone, but still the iPhone sales are way stronger. Really impressive.
Very true. In the UK for example I can get almost any high end Android phone for free on a contract. Off contract I can get a Nexus 4 for ~£240. Therefore there are considerable savings to be made on an Android phone over an iPhone even if you go for the latest and greatest models.

Still, iPhones aren't exactly unpopular here, a lot of businesspeople have them and they're quickly replacing BlackBerries in business environments. As a uni student though I see most young adults using cheap Androids (Samsung Galaxy Mini, HTC Wildfire, etc.) or BlackBerries because they're easy to get for little money.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:34 AM   #171
MyMacintosh
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blomkvist View Post
Anyone reckon that Apple stock price will start to "rebound" now?
Only temporarily, then eventually. Stocks (regardless of fundamentals) move in waves.
MyMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:33 PM   #172
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

Quote:

That's how Apple and RIM chose to run their company. Nevertheless, economics doesn't gives a crap on how you run it. So even if Android has tons of manufactures and is selling more, it has a larger marketshare. You can't take a single good selling Android phone compete it with the iPhone because Apple only chooses to only release 1 iPhone a year.

I've always find it hilarious to see people use the term "fanboy" assuming that I'm a fan of Android. I'm just stating the facts. Android is still in total control of the smartphone marketshare since 2011.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:51 PM   #173
hot spare
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/dwl....ownloads&id=98

That was a massive improvement over the previous peak which was 30% (about half of Android).
Did you forget to mention **ONLY IN US**

All US_specific statistics are irritating. Let's also have some Nigeria-specific statistics then.

US is not even the largest smartphone market in the world. Accounts for just about 15% of total smartphone market.

How about 75% world wide marketshare according to IDC?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...ch-75.0-Market
hot spare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:23 PM   #174
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
How's Apple's share price done over the last year buddy?
It's up about 30%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Because you can get an Android phone for significantly less that an iPhone in most of the world. Even around $100 unsubsidized.

Last edited by BaldiMac; Dec 22, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
BaldiMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:18 PM   #175
fermat-au
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
That very clearly shows the spike in iPhone sales with the release of each new model.
Quote:
fermat-au is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion