Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1
ViperDesign
macrumors 6502a

Went from buying blu-rays to iTunes only

So the convenience and cloud feature really swayed me. Plus the fact I don't have an unbelievable sound systems to really hear the difference.

1080p Quality is very solid for iTunes so I really can't complain. But in the end it is the convenience of it all.

Pricing for new movies is about the same, only difference are the older blu-rays that you can get for 5 and 7 bucks in the bargain bins at places like Best Buy.

I will still probably buy those and rip into iTunes. I have been ripping HD/SD qualities to match my cloud purchases as well.

Anyone else go full iTunes?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Jkeeley1
macrumors newbie

I tend to buy used blu-rays that have digital copies. Your average joe never uses the dc and a used blu-ray w/dc will run from $5-$15 usd at retail.
Jkeeley1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Michael CM1
macrumors 603

Not yet. I think I'll forever be torn on this unless iTunes gives us better sound than Dolby Digital. I watched my "Lord of the Rings" Blu-rays last week. Even on my sound system that is routed through my TV, the DTS output of my BD player was blowing the house up.

The video is fine. I have seen maybe minor pixellation on iTunes HD purchases, but I have also seen this on BDs, especially TV shows that aren't named "Lost." But sound is much different. I have kind of decided that I can live with buying stuff from iTunes that doesn't exactly have any major sound stuff, like comedy TV shows. But if it's something along the lines of "LOTR" or "The Dark Knight," you still gotta go BD.

Apple, improve the sound on your iTunes videos. People don't listen to movies using $30 earbuds.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:02 PM   #4
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

I haven't bought any movies or tv shows in ages ever since I sold off my huge DVD collectin. Ever since then all I do is stream off Netflix or rent from iTunes but I am tempted to start collecting again. I will definitely buy from iTunes though.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Tags
blu-ray, itunes